Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

A few coming up later this year I'm really excited about:

Sunrooms - From the Region (Delmark)

Brotzmann/Adasiewicz Duo from Chicago 2013

Stephen Haynes w/ William Parker, Joe Morris, Warren Smith, Ben Stapp - Pomegranate: New Music For Bill Dixon (New Atlantis)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few coming up later this year I'm really excited about:

Sunrooms - From the Region (Delmark)

Brotzmann/Adasiewicz Duo from Chicago 2013

Stephen Haynes w/ William Parker, Joe Morris, Warren Smith, Ben Stapp - Pomegranate: New Music For Bill Dixon (New Atlantis)

Sun Rooms is a must buy for me as is the duet with Brotzmann - do you which label or is it Delmark also?

That Brotzmann/Noble/Adasiewicsz on Otoroku has been out for a while already. The vinyl at least, it's impressive

It's solid.

The OTOroku LP is surprisingly accessible. My previous experience with Herr Broetzmann is that recordings are a much more difficult entry to his music than a live performance. I would consider playing the OTOroku LP to a new music fan who is a Broetzmann sceptic to prove that his approach is not " just noise".

Got the Otoroku CD bundle that was mentioned a few pages further up ... nice one, the Brötz! (Haven't come around to the others.)

As for some other stuff mentioned here ... the mailman finally dropped the new Jemeel Moondoc in the box today:

JemeelMoondoc-TheZookeepersHouse_zps6d49

Listening, I fondly remember the lengthy chats I had with Roy Campbell in Paris, some years ago (thank you again, brownie!) ... what a great, warm and generous soul!

Also hoping the Dixon tribute by Stephen Haynes will eventually see release (I helped funding it, as I did with the Moondoc), it's been ages since the last update, I've long stopped holding my breath (not implying anyone stole my money, but gee, it takes loooooooooong).

As for some other stuff mentioned here ... the mailman finally dropped the new Jemeel Moondoc in the box today:

Listening, I fondly remember the lengthy chats I had with Roy Campbell in Paris, some years ago (thank you again, brownie!) ... what a great, warm and generous soul!

I've had this a week or two. I was very impressed, good writing & playing .

Also hoping the Dixon tribute by Stephen Haynes will eventually see release (I helped funding it, as I did with the Moondoc), it's been ages since the last update, I've long stopped holding my breath (not implying anyone stole my money, but gee, it takes loooooooooong).

I was at the live performances at Firehouse 12 that part of the release will be taken from. I see Stephen with some regularity in the area. It is taking a while, but he is still working to get the stuff released.

I was at the live performances at Firehouse 12 that part of the release will be taken from. I see Stephen with some regularity in the area. It is taking a while, but he is still working to get the stuff released.

Really, I'm just excited about this and want to hear it! :)

yeah, I'd like to see one before I put down $25. I'm not sure that the QC on self-released LPs is as exacting as it is for, say, an Eremite or Three Lobed release. I've run into a lot of piss-poor pressings on new releases, and at this point things like getting and listening to test pressings and seeing a mockup of the artwork should be a no-brainer. Not so. I remember talking to Mary H. about one of her LP releases through Firehouse 12 and she said she liked the "crackle" of the vinyl. Get a new, sealed copy and lo and behold it's pressed with quite a bit of surface noise, visible marks in the vinyl, etc.

I've had this a week or two. I was very impressed, good writing & playing .

I like the Moondoc too. Enjoyed their version of "Ptah the El Daoud."

yeah, I'd like to see one before I put down $25. I'm not sure that the QC on self-released LPs is as exacting as it is for, say, an Eremite or Three Lobed release. I've run into a lot of piss-poor pressings on new releases, and at this point things like getting and listening to test pressings and seeing a mockup of the artwork should be a no-brainer. Not so. I remember talking to Mary H. about one of her LP releases through Firehouse 12 and she said she liked the "crackle" of the vinyl. Get a new, sealed copy and lo and behold it's pressed with quite a bit of surface noise, visible marks in the vinyl, etc.

I have the "Illusionary Seas" double LP 45rpm, and it is clean and smooth and quiet, remarkably so really. Maybe the previous one had some noise, don't know as I don't have it, or maybe she was being facetious. But the larger point about new releases being variable in quality is well-taken. Cien Fuego has been very good, OTO, and I think Trost, also very good, just to mention a few.

Ken Vandermark's Side A has a new one on Not Two. This is the band with Havard Wilk and Chad Taylor, and it's a damn good one.

In related news, Joe McPhee's music is now part of the Catalytic Sound distro (Vandermark, Brotzmann, Gustafsson, PNL)

Ken Vandermark's Side A has a new one on Not Two. This is the band with Havard Wilk and Chad Taylor, and it's a damn good one.

In related news, Joe McPhee's music is now part of the Catalytic Sound distro (Vandermark, Brotzmann, Gustafsson, PNL)

Did your Catalytic Sound order ever arrive?