Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

Agreed about Bauer with a nod to Steve Swell.

The other Bauer is mighty fine as well

My first tier modern day trombonists start with Wolter Wierbos, George Lewis, Swell and a nod to Jeb Bishop.

But let me tell you, live Ben Gerstein is quite the improvisor - probably somewhat in the mold of Swell.

In my estimation, the other Bauer is the lesser.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed about Bauer with a nod to Steve Swell.

Anyone care recommend anything by either Conrad Bauer or Steve Swell the latter is a total unknown to me.?

Thanks

See the three I pictured for Bauer ... he's amazing live, too! (Johannes is good, too ... but at least on one occasion when I caught him live he seemed more like a yokel ... but their common group Doppelmoppel is worth hearing, live they put on a tremendous show - two bones, two guitars .... don't have anything by that band on CD though).

As for Swell, I don't know him too well, but heard him live in a great concert lacking audience ... that was the Swell/Ullmann Quartet and I bought their CD ... not sure those who know Swell better than me consider this a good point of entry, but to my ears, it is:

MI0002033868.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Agreed with Leeway. The Fire Into Music group is a particularly good place to start. They also have a limited LP that can still be found. Two other recent recordings worth checking out are Max Johnson Quartet (MJ, Swell, Mark Whitecage, Tyshawn Sorey) and Dragonfly Breath (Swell, Paul Flaherty, C Spencer Yeh, Weasel Walter). Both are on Not Two. The former is more straightforward & compositional while the later is full-bore, no compromises free improv.

Trio 3 + Jason Moran - Refraction, Breaking Glass (Intakt)

Picked this one up and I'm very impressed . Always liked Oliver Lake but he sounds wonderful here. I might try out other Trio 3 releases as funds permit. Likewise the Intakt label of which I've only a handful of releases.

Edited by Clunky

Picked this one up and I'm very impressed . Always liked Oliver Lake but he sounds wonderful here. I might try out other Trio 3 releases as funds permit. Likewise the Intakt label of which I've only a handful of releases.

The Trio 3 recordings on Intakt with Geri Allen and Irene Schweizer are rewarding as well.

Love this album, a real gem, a wonderful group. I'm starving for a new Moran leader date. This album made me want to check out some more Oliver Lake... hasn't happened yet, but the seed has been planted.

Love this album, a real gem, a wonderful group. I'm starving for a new Moran leader date. This album made me want to check out some more Oliver Lake... hasn't happened yet, but the seed has been planted.

Trio 3: Live in Willisau

The one to search out among all others. 1992 concert of the great trio from when the band commenced

Thanks for the rec, Steve.

It occurred to me the other day that Moran hasn't released a leader date since 2010. Very unusual!

It's extra frustrating in that i really dug Ten, a lot! I know he's kept busy with Lloyd's group and he's recorded with Eric Revis, Trio 3 and possibly other's i'm forgetting... but yeah, a new leader date would be very cool.

Edited by xybert

A couple:

Jason Roebke Octet - High/Red/Center (Delmark) Adasiewicz, Ward, Jackson, Stein, Berman, Bishop, Reed

Assif Tsahar/Mark Dresser/Gerry Hemingway - Code Re(a)d (Hopscotch)

listening to the Roebke for the first time - first impressions positive. It sounds just like you'd expect this line-up to sound (which for me is fine). Respect for the past but making music that's definitely now. somewhat like Berman, Stein, Rede in fact all of them seem to have achieved on their own recordings. I'm very impressed by most everything this generation of Chicago players are putting out

A couple:

Jason Roebke Octet - High/Red/Center (Delmark) Adasiewicz, Ward, Jackson, Stein, Berman, Bishop, Reed

Assif Tsahar/Mark Dresser/Gerry Hemingway - Code Re(a)d (Hopscotch)

listening to the Roebke for the first time - first impressions positive. It sounds just like you'd expect this line-up to sound (which for me is fine). Respect for the past but making music that's definitely now. somewhat like Berman, Stein, Rede in fact all of them seem to have achieved on their own recordings. I'm very impressed by most everything this generation of Chicago players are putting out

So am I!!