colinmce

Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

2,358 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

He’s the David Murray of his generation! I think the criticism of “he records too much” becomes less salient once the overhype fades into distant memory and you no longer feel obligated to keep up with every single release

Plus I’ve learned which of his releases/projects are of interest to me. I never liked the Vandermark 5 or his small form improvisations. Neither were or are his strength. He’s a great organizer of sounds and people although there is little humor or levity in his music. But he certainly combines various instruments and modes as well or more uniquely than anyone else I know of who is from the “jazz” tradition. Some of those large ensemble recordings are filled with some real gems. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 5/30/2022 at 10:56 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Don’t forget Mad Dogs & Mad Dogs on the Loose / those earlier boxes feature the New Orchestra which has older more established musicians like Evan Parker, Paul Lytton & Mats Gustafsson, etc. Agusti Fernandez is on On The Loose & the 2 later boxes. 

yeah those are fun.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:53 AM, Dub Modal said:

Thanks for this post. 

Never listened to most artists listed. 

So now playing: 

NS01NjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Recorded in '02, released in '05 with Brian Walsh, Michael Ibarra, Rich West & Noah Phillips. In line with the Carter/Bradford discussion above, track 2 "You Say" is parenthetically dedicated to Bradford. 

Brian Walsh is a beast. I’ve seen him in a few different settings and he always impresses. 

On 6/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, Dub Modal said:

Thanks for this post. 

Never listened to most artists listed. 

So now playing: 

NS01NjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Recorded in '02, released in '05 with Brian Walsh, Michael Ibarra, Rich West & Noah Phillips. In line with the Carter/Bradford discussion above, track 2 "You Say" is parenthetically dedicated to Bradford. 

Listening to this now. It's very good.

Another round of FMP CD reissues from CvsD coming shortly:

-Hans Reichel - Bonobo Beach
-Steve Lacy/Evan Parker - Chirps
-Georg Graewe - New Movements
-Georg Graewe - Pink Pong

The first two were already issued on CD by FMP back in the day, but glad to see the Graewe albums finally re-emerge.

have all those on LP but they're really great albums. I'm sure they'll get some new ears.