• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tony Malaby’s Sabino: The Cave of Winds

with Ben Monder, Michael Formanek & Tom Rainey

to my ears maybe the best Malaby album in forever / simply magisterial from multiple viewpoints. 

I still can't get past Monder, though I agree Tony is playing well. Have you heard the Rogue Art with Angelica Sanchez & Tom Rainey yet?

25 minutes ago, colinmce said:

I still can't get past Monder, though I agree Tony is playing well. Have you heard the Rogue Art with Angelica Sanchez & Tom Rainey yet?

You probably need to see him live with Malaby. Pretty incredible in my experience. 

Have not heard the Rogue Art release

What I really need is a live show. NYC free/avant scene not opening up like it should, IMO

Nate Wooley: Mutual Aid Music

simply incredible / just academic enough but very beautiful as well. 8 pieces that have some sort of compositional strategy but to my ears it all sounds improvised with some oblique guideposts. 

highlights are the cello of Mariel Roberts, the violin of Joshua Modney & 2 the pianos of Sylvie Courvoisier & Cory Smythe. And as always Wooley never overdoes his hand with his own playing. 2 CD set. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Nate Wooley: Mutual Aid Music

simply incredible / just academic enough but very beautiful as well. 8 pieces that have some sort of compositional strategy but to my ears it all sounds improvised with some oblique guideposts. 

highlights are the cello of Mariel Roberts, the violin of Joshua Modney & 2 the pianos of Sylvie Courvoisier & Cory Smythe. And as always Wooley never overdoes his hand with his own playing. 2 CD set. 

Yeah, terrific album. One of the best I bought last year, easily

I saw Wooley a couple of weeks ago with Harris Eisenstad's quartet (with Matt Bauder on tenor and a (good) bassist whose name escapes me now) - he was very impressive. I had heard a few things of his and saw him live way back when, 20 years ago in New York (I seem to remember it was a young bassist's band with Steve Swell and Wooley). I thought then he was definitely OK but a bit chatty, unfocused and with boring undistinguished sound. However, what I heard here in Vienna was super precise with great long-form development of ideas and just impeccable technique. Matt Bauder was also outstanding - such a deep old-style sound on tenor. Overall, the concert was very enjoyable. It would have been fantastic if it weren't for silly and formulaic compositions of Eisenstad's. So I will be checking out more Wooley for sure. 

I also saw Konk Pack (Roger Turner, Thomas Lehn and Tim Hodgkinson) a few days ago, and this was one of the most exciting concerts on my memory. Talk about non-formulaic - the range of sounds these guys produce while making a coherent whole is spellbinding. One hour gig flew like 10 minutes. Do see them live if you get a chance (not many people chose to do so in Vienna - there were maybe 20 people in the audience), these guys are not getting younger (Turner is approaching 80). All of Konk Pack CDs are OOP, but they are still relatively easy to buy second-hand: https://www.discogs.com/artist/454272-Konk-Pack .      

Some recent acquisitions I'm enjoying:

Tim Trevor-Briscoe/Szilárd Mezei/Nicola Guazzaloca – Before Then (Not Two)
Agustí Fernández/Rafał Mazur – Correspondence With No Words (Not Two)
Lucía Martínez/Agustí Fernández/Barry Guy – Bosque De Niebla (Fundacja Słuchaj!)
Steve Beresford/Pierpaolo Martino/Valentina Magaletti - Frequency Disasters (Confront Core Series) 
ISM (Pat Thomas, Joel Grip, Antonin Gerbal) - Metaphor (Umlaut)
Rodrigo Amado/Thomas Johansson/Jon Rune Strøm/Gard Nilssen - Northern Liberties (Not Two)
Michael Bisio Quartet - MBefore (Tao Forms)
Jesse Kudler & Graham Stephenson - Apposite Rejoinder (JMY)
Tony Oxley - Unreleased (1974-2016) (Discus)

Looking forward to the following:

Martin Küchen/Agustí Fernardez/Zlatko Kaučič - The Steps That Resonate (Not Two)
Joe McPhee/John Edwards/Klaus Kugel - Existential Moments (Not Two)
Andrew Neumann/Damon Smith/Forbes Graham/Sandy Ewen/Junko Fujiwara/Eric Rosenthal - Quartet:Quartet:Trio (Balance Point Acoustics)
Whit Dickey Quartet - Astral Long Form: Staircase In Space
Luis Vincente/Seppe Gebruers/Onno Govaert - Room With No Name (Fundacja Słuchaj!)
Fred Moten/Brandon López/Gerald Cleaver - Moten/López/Cleaver (Reading Group)
Matthew Shipp & Chad Fowler - Old Stories (Mahakala)

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Some recent acquisitions I'm enjoying:

Tim Trevor-Briscoe/Szilárd Mezei/Nicola Guazzaloca – Before Then (Not Two)
Agustí Fernández/Rafał Mazur – Correspondence With No Words (Not Two)
Lucía Martínez/Agustí Fernández/Barry Guy – Bosque De Niebla (Fundacja Słuchaj!)
Steve Beresford/Pierpaolo Martino/Valentina Magaletti - Frequency Disasters (Confront Core Series) 
ISM (Pat Thomas, Joel Grip, Antonin Gerbal) - Metaphor (Umlaut)
Rodrigo Amado/Thomas Johansson/Jon Rune Strøm/Gard Nilssen - Northern Liberties (Not Two)
Michael Bisio Quartet - MBefore (Tao Forms)
Jesse Kudler & Graham Stephenson - Apposite Rejoinder (JMY)
Tony Oxley - Unreleased (1974-2016) (Discus)

None that I know, but all interesting looking. Do any of these stand out to you? 

FJC has been outdoing itself of late, with 4.5/5 star reviews. 

I obviously take these with a grain of salt larger than the Pyramid of Cheops, but I wondered whether any soberer heads than FJCs enthusiastic band of amateurs had heard of any of them and thought they stand out?

MingBauSet – Yakut’s Gallop (Fundacja Słuchaj, 2021)

Day & Taxi (Christoph Gallio, Silvan Jeger, Gerry Hemingway) – Run, the Darkness Will Come! (Pergaso, 2021)

Oùat - Elastic Bricks (Umlaut, 2022)

Myra Melford - For the Love of Fire and Water (Rogue Art, 2022)

Ballister - Chrysopoeia (Not Two, 2022)

Wolves and Mirrors – Wolves and Mirrors (Klaeng Records, 2021)

Eldritch Priest – Omphaloskepsis (Halocline Trance, 2022)

This Friendship Is Sailing – Live on Curious Ear Radio (Beartown, 2021)

Other than Myra, these groups are new to me.

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I obviously take these with a grain of salt larger than the Pyramid of Cheops, but I wondered whether any soberer heads than FJCs enthusiastic band of amateurs had heard of any of them and thought they stand out?

Day & Taxi (Christoph Gallio, Silvan Jeger, Gerry Hemingway) – Run, the Darkness Will Come! (Pergaso, 2021)

I like Ballister. I have the Melford. MingBauSet could be good, but I've never heard it.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, Rabshakeh said:

None that I know, but all interesting looking. Do any of these stand out to you? 

Hard question to answer, I've found them all to be really excellent. The Bisio in particular is undoubtedly the best thing I've heard this year, and it will probably stay that way. At 4 discs the Trevor-Briscoe/Mezzei/Guazzaloca has a steep barrier to entry, but it's some of the best group/interactive free improvisation I've heard in quite some time. Of the 3 piano trios here, Frequency Disasters was the most impressive, really a lot of fun.

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Oùat LP is very good (wish it was on CD instead). I enjoy Melford's work a lot but am having reservations about this one for some reason. Maybe not just in the mood for this style right now. I have never enjoyed Ballister and I don't think another one would change my mind. Slightly intrigued by the Day & Taxi disc.

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I like Ballister. I have the Melford. MingBauSet could be good, but I've never heard it.

Rempis’ Ballister releases on Aerophonic are better than this new one on Not Two. I’ve only listened once. Also after seeing them live last week with a good chunk with Dave on baritone hard to listen on record (plus no baritone on the above CD). Rempis is simply great on the huge horn. A sound like no other.

I’ll be getting the Melford on Rogue Art

4 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Rempis’ Ballister releases on Aerophonic are better than this new one on Not Two. I’ve only listened once. Also after seeing them live last week with a good chunk with Dave on baritone hard to listen on record (plus no baritone on the above CD). Rempis is simply great on the huge horn. A sound like no other.

I liked Znachki Stilyag a lot. I haven't heard any others.

21 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I liked Znachki Stilyag a lot. I haven't heard any others.

Probably my favorite. Slag is also terrific. I don’t have any of the older ones. As great as Nilsson-Love is, he’s not a huge favorite compared to Avreeayl Ra, Frank Rosaly & Tyler Damon. Those 3 drummers compliment Rempis’ type of open form improv better as they are looser and more relaxed in their approaches. 

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

was planning to see Ballister last week but got sick at the last minute and couldn't go. 

I haven't heard any on that list but I do find that the presence of Gerry Hemingway usually guarantees some interesting listening.

I'm afraid I don't share the general enthusiasm for Ballister or much of Rempis's recordings but I know I'm a minority on that.

Saw Joe McPhee with Universal Indians (John Dikeman, Jon Rune Strøm, Tollef Østvang) last night. Very frustrating experience. I love McPhee and saw him at least 10 times over the last 20 years. Unfortunately, I never saw him in a group that would be complimentary to his immense talent - and this concert was no exception. Dikeman is a good player with extremely forceful sound on tenor - he must be the loudest tenor I saw live (louder than Brötzmann or Gustafsson and at least 1/3 louder than McPhee). I moved to the back of the room, the volume was hurting my ears. A lot of super-fast runs, a lot of wailing. Nothing we have not heard before. McPhee played tenor exclusively with gorgeous sound and beautiful ideas. BUT, he was playing probably three times less than Dikeman, and even when he was, Dikeman would insist on playing behind him (more like in front given his volume). This was extremely annoying. It was similar to Rodrigo Amado / McPhee gig I saw some time ago - there, Amado would not shut up AT ALL. What's wrong with these tenor players?! Are they trying to prove something to McPhee? They are not in their 20s, these are seasoned players who are supposed to know that more is not necessarily good... Even more annoying was a totally inept rhythm section. Tollef Østvang is a shockingly bad drummer. No swing, no ideas, no dynamics, no flow, some clumsy rock licks. Really horrible, I could not believe McPhee would tour and record with a musician of such level. Jon Rune Strøm was OK, nothing interesting but not horrible at least, thank you very much. 

So, in short, no way am I ever going to a Universal Indians gig again, and I still hope to see McPhee live in full glory.