Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

On 5/3/2023 at 3:40 PM, Clunky said:

A couple of releases from Fundacja Sluchaj in Warsaw tempted me and arrived today.

first up ….

Carrier/ von Schlippenbach/Edward’s/ Lambert ——unwalled ——-(FSR22/2022)

beautiful sound . Music is challenging as you might expect but approachable in my view 

Next up 

Knuffke/ McPhee Quartet +1 ——-Keep the dream up——( Fundacja Sluchaj) 

the two leaders are favourites, so what’s not to potentially like about them playing together. Fabulous, even if this is my first spin of this.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

Next up 

the two leaders are favourites, so what’s not to potentially like about them playing together. Fabulous, even if this is my first spin of this.

An amazing recording 

On 5/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Will definitely check this. Also enjoyed watching some footage on YouTube of Rodrigo Amado's new/ish group with von Schlippenbach, Flaten, Gerry Hemingway.

The Field with Alex joining Rodrigo in a quartet is incredible. On No Business 

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

Next up 

Keep The Dream Up is terrific.

Here are a few from the first few months of the year that I've enjoyed:

Beeferman/Evans/Foster/Hirsch - GLOW (Tripticks)
Jaap Blonk/Damon Smith/Ra Kalam Bob Moses - Rune Kitchen (Balance Point Acoustics)
Santiago Bogacz & Emiliano Aires - Retrato Años Después (Relative Pitch)
Mário Costa/Cuong Vu/Benoît Delbecq/Bruno Chevillon - Chromosome (cleanfeed)
Andrew Cyrille - Music Delivery/Percussion (Intakt)
Frank Denyer - Melodies (Another Timbre)
Dry Thrust - The Less You Sleep (Trost)
Seppe Gebruers - Playing With Standards (El Negocito)
Takumi Ikeda - Improvisations (2022) (Ftarri)
Joëlle Léandre - Zurich Concert (Intakt)
Dave Liebman - Live At Small's (Cellar Music)
Lo Escucho, Lo Pinto (All Night Flight)
Lopez Trio - Matanzas (Relative Pitch)
Szilárd Mezei/Zoltán Csányi/Vasco Trilla – Look In To My Eyes, I'm Watching You (Fundacja Słuchaj!)
Nichunimu - Un Cacho de Metal, Un Resto de Vaiven (577)
Eva Novoa - Novoa/Kamaguchi/Cleaver Trio Vol. 1 (577)
Tim Perkis & Tom Djill - KINDA (Artifact Recordings)
Olaf Rupp/Ulrike Brand - Myotis Myotis (Creative Sources)

folks who liked the Knuffke/McPhee disc should be sure to check this out as well, it was released to little fanfare, but it's very strong https://mahakalamusic.bandcamp.com/album/sometimes-the-air-is

7 hours ago, colinmce said:

Here are a few from the first few months of the year that I've enjoyed:

Beeferman/Evans/Foster/Hirsch - GLOW (Tripticks)
Jaap Blonk/Damon Smith/Ra Kalam Bob Moses - Rune Kitchen (Balance Point Acoustics)
Santiago Bogacz & Emiliano Aires - Retrato Años Después (Relative Pitch)
Mário Costa/Cuong Vu/Benoît Delbecq/Bruno Chevillon - Chromosome (cleanfeed)
Andrew Cyrille - Music Delivery/Percussion (Intakt)
Frank Denyer - Melodies (Another Timbre)
Dry Thrust - The Less You Sleep (Trost)
Seppe Gebruers - Playing With Standards (El Negocito)
Takumi Ikeda - Improvisations (2022) (Ftarri)
Joëlle Léandre - Zurich Concert (Intakt)
Dave Liebman - Live At Small's (Cellar Music)
Lo Escucho, Lo Pinto (All Night Flight)
Lopez Trio - Matanzas (Relative Pitch)
Szilárd Mezei/Zoltán Csányi/Vasco Trilla – Look In To My Eyes, I'm Watching You (Fundacja Słuchaj!)
Nichunimu - Un Cacho de Metal, Un Resto de Vaiven (577)
Eva Novoa - Novoa/Kamaguchi/Cleaver Trio Vol. 1 (577)
Tim Perkis & Tom Djill - KINDA (Artifact Recordings)
Olaf Rupp/Ulrike Brand - Myotis Myotis (Creative Sources)

folks who liked the Knuffke/McPhee disc should be sure to check this out as well, it was released to little fanfare, but it's very strong https://mahakalamusic.bandcamp.com/album/sometimes-the-air-is

Love LOVE Matanzas / love the metallic rage from Basczkowski 

like the Eva Novoa trio 

of course the *great* Gerald Cleaver is the common element 

Like the Mezei 2 CD set but let’s see after a couple of more spins

Here are some of what I really like of what’s new to me over the past few months. Some might have been released previously 

The Glass Triangle with Mette Rasmussen, Zeena Parkins & Ryan Sawyer / the new one Blue and Sun-Lights and the first one on relative pitch

Nava Dunkelman & gabby fluke-mogul / Likht  - on relative pitch 

Fata Morgana Ensemble Dedalus & Erik M / wowza also on relative pitch 

Crying in Space Mette with Flaherty etc also on relative pitch 

As far as November Albert Cirera, Olie Brice & Nicolas Field - Fundacja SLUCHAJ 

A Pride of Lions: No Questions No Answers on rogue art. McPhee & Lazro with 2 great bassists & Chad Taylor 

The Bright Awakening / 2012 show I was at with Paul Dunmall, Matt Shipp, Joe Morris & Cleaver. So incredible. Rogue art

Judson Trio: Light & Dance Joelle with Mat Maneri & Gerald Cleaver / 2 CD set recorded right before the pandemic in France. Rogue Art

More later 

Great! Always love to hear your thoughts, keep it coming.

The Lopez Trio is becoming an extremely strong unit, working uniquely at the intersection of texture and sound. I was cool on the first release but as they build this body of work I see the vision more & more. And they have a vision for the music, which is rare enough. Very much looking forward to grabbing Brandon's new solo disc on Tao Forms.

I liked the gfm/Dunkelman duo OK but really enjoyed the string duo w/ Joanna Mattrey from a few months previous.

Still haven't spent enough time with the Pride of Lions disc, I will pull it out this week and revisit.

The Judson Trio 2xCD is a masterpiece, it's been on regular rotation here since it came out. I will be grabbing the new Taborn/Maneri/Leandre trio disc soon. 

39 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Great! Always love to hear your thoughts, keep it coming.

The Lopez Trio is becoming an extremely strong unit, working uniquely at the intersection of texture and sound. I was cool on the first release but as they build this body of work I see the vision more & more. And they have a vision for the music, which is rare enough. Very much looking forward to grabbing Brandon's new solo disc on Tao Forms.

I liked the gfm/Dunkelman duo OK but really enjoyed the string duo w/ Joanna Mattrey from a few months previous.

Still haven't spent enough time with the Pride of Lions disc, I will pull it out this week and revisit.

The Judson Trio 2xCD is a masterpiece, it's been on regular rotation here since it came out. I will be grabbing the new Taborn/Maneri/Leandre trio disc soon. 

Saw Lopez Trio in December 2019 / was in touching distance to any of the three. I’ve seen Brandon live many times and he’s still peaking. Cleaver still peaking through restraint. Still cannot believe I’m seeing the Gerald’s reconstituted awesome Black Host opening night 2 of Vision Fest. Lopez with Dezron Douglas on double bass in place of the great Pascal Niggenkemper. Think about it / Cooper-Moore, Darius Jones & Brandon Seabrook with Cleaver & the 2 bassists. 2010 & 2012 were 2 of the best live shows I’ve seen out of very many.

Seeing Joelle with Maneri & Taborn on 6/13. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 10:17 AM, Rabshakeh said:

I enjoyed this very short interview with Daunik Lazro on FJB:

https://www.freejazzblog.org/2023/05/daunik-jazz-maverick-daunik-lazro-story.html?m=1

I know there's some Lazro-heads on here so I thought that I would share.

Banalities-infested intro aside, this is a good (and educational - I am not very familiar about Lazro's early works) read.  

On 5/8/2023 at 3:17 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Love LOVE Matanzas / love the metallic rage from Basczkowski 

like the Eva Novoa trio 

of course the *great* Gerald Cleaver is the common element 

Like the Mezei 2 CD set but let’s see after a couple of more spins

Here are some of what I really like of what’s new to me over the past few months. Some might have been released previously 

The Glass Triangle with Mette Rasmussen, Zeena Parkins & Ryan Sawyer / the new one Blue and Sun-Lights and the first one on relative pitch

Nava Dunkelman & gabby fluke-mogul / Likht  - on relative pitch 

Fata Morgana Ensemble Dedalus & Erik M / wowza also on relative pitch 

Crying in Space Mette with Flaherty etc also on relative pitch 

As far as November Albert Cirera, Olie Brice & Nicolas Field - Fundacja SLUCHAJ 

A Pride of Lions: No Questions No Answers on rogue art. McPhee & Lazro with 2 great bassists & Chad Taylor 

The Bright Awakening / 2012 show I was at with Paul Dunmall, Matt Shipp, Joe Morris & Cleaver. So incredible. Rogue art

Judson Trio: Light & Dance Joelle with Mat Maneri & Gerald Cleaver / 2 CD set recorded right before the pandemic in France. Rogue Art

More later 

I bought these Relative Pitch albums, and agree that Crying In Space and Blue & Sun Lights are both fantastic. The former in particular is one of the best blowout albums I've heard in quite some time. Everything just locks in perfectly, it's really something special. I'll spend more time with Fata Morgana but that was really nice as well. This label is on a roll; the last couple years there have been a lot of underwhelming solo albums and not many I've wanted to spend time with since the earlier days of the label. Now nearly every one is a must-hear for me. I can't think of a better contemporary imprint right now.

-Want to also give a special shout-out to the new Rempis disc SIROCCO with Mark Feldman & Tim Daisy. It's just incredible, high-level playing from the jump that never flags.

-Taborn/Léandre/Maneri - hEARoes on RogueArt is predictably great

-Some phenomenal things on the horizon from Not Two: a 3xCD Steve Swell box, Zlatko Kaucic/Elisabeth Harnik duo, and a Joëlle Léandre bass duet with Vinicius Cajado: https://www.nottwo.com/new-releases

-A friend recently pointed me towards this one. Three very strong sets of free improvisation across 3 CDs, which I'll definitely be grabbing at some point: https://newwaveofjazz.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-plusetage-volume-1

-Really enjoyed this Caroline Kraabel/Neil Metcalfe duo album: https://carolinekraabel.bandcamp.com/album/march-cd

-The Infrequent Seams label is really heating up lately. I really love the Elliott Sharp/Richard Teitlbaum/Andrew Cyrille album and the Roper/Streb/Feeney tape; looking forward to checking the JD Parran/Mark Deutsch duo: https://infrequentseams.com/music

-Lastly for now, I've been digging into the offerings from this newish UK imprint. The Beresford/Angharad Davies album in particular is great: https://shrikerecords.bandcamp.com/music

48 minutes ago, colinmce said:

-Lastly for now, I've been digging into the offerings from this newish UK imprint. The Beresford/Angharad Davies album in particular is great: https://shrikerecords.bandcamp.com/music

Nice catalog. Will buy that Mark Sanders release for sure. I have two Butcher releases, bought them from him at the concert a few months ago, need to listen to them finally. These are CDrs, fwiiw.  

7 hours ago, colinmce said:

I bought these Relative Pitch albums, and agree that Crying In Space and Blue & Sun Lights are both fantastic. The former in particular is one of the best blowout albums I've heard in quite some time. Everything just locks in perfectly, it's really something special. I'll spend more time with Fata Morgana but that was really nice as well. This label is on a roll; the last couple years there have been a lot of underwhelming solo albums and not many I've wanted to spend time with since the earlier days of the label. Now nearly every one is a must-hear for me. I can't think of a better contemporary imprint right now.

-Want to also give a special shout-out to the new Rempis disc SIROCCO with Mark Feldman & Tim Daisy. It's just incredible, high-level playing from the jump that never flags.

-Taborn/Léandre/Maneri - hEARoes on RogueArt is predictably great

-Some phenomenal things on the horizon from Not Two: a 3xCD Steve Swell box, Zlatko Kaucic/Elisabeth Harnik duo, and a Joëlle Léandre bass duet with Vinicius Cajado: https://www.nottwo.com/new-releases

-A friend recently pointed me towards this one. Three very strong sets of free improvisation across 3 CDs, which I'll definitely be grabbing at some point: https://newwaveofjazz.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-plusetage-volume-1

-Really enjoyed this Caroline Kraabel/Neil Metcalfe duo album: https://carolinekraabel.bandcamp.com/album/march-cd

-The Infrequent Seams label is really heating up lately. I really love the Elliott Sharp/Richard Teitlbaum/Andrew Cyrille album and the Roper/Streb/Feeney tape; looking forward to checking the JD Parran/Mark Deutsch duo: https://infrequentseams.com/music

I see many shows with Kevin Reilly and his ears have always been very open. I’ve seen some recent improv shows with many unknown to me brilliant young musicians over the past few months. Wait til you hear some of these musicians. I heard a 22 year old double bassist last month in a trio with a brilliant pianist and an incredibly focused and fiery Ingrid Laubrock on tenor. 40 minutes of genius in my view.

and I won’t name yet a 26 genius guitarist that I’ve seen 3 times until we get an official release.

I’m not a fan of the solo stuff but much of that was due to the pandemic. 

• 4 weeks later...

See my comments on the live music thread

the “Old Dogs” are destroying planets 

Larry Ochs still peaking at 74 so this week 2 or 3 more sets with the great saxophonist. He was sitting right behind me for Crispell, Dresser & Hemingway. Nice guy. Vladimir Tarasov 2 seats to my right. I’m so blessed to have witnessed these sets live.

after this week back to the young guns. I’m sure some shows in Brooklyn with the scene changers then,,,, 

2 sets late this month with the *great* Zoh Amba!! 7/28 & 7/29 both include Chris Corsano

Next Friday 7/14 Jessica Pavone, Peter Evans, Brandon Lopez & Ryan Sawyer. Wowza

plus 7/22 improv show at Roulette with various luminaries including Mary Halvorson, Cyro Baptista, Billy Martin, Kenny Wolleson, Ches Smith, John Zorn, Wendy Eisenberg & gabby fluke-mogul among others 

look out for Joanna Mattrey on violin, James McKain on tenor saxophone snd especially the amazing Chuck Roth on guitar. Don’t look her up:)

the musical energy over here is burning hot.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Some more of my favorites from the second quarter of this year:

Actual Music (Tatsu Akoi/David Pavkovic) - Actual Music Now (FPE)
Agnel/Lanz/Vatcher - Animals (Klanggalerie) 
Gonçalo Almeida - Ciclos (Cylinder Recordings)
Albert Ayler - More Lost Performances Revisited (ezz-thetics)
Elsa Bergman - Playon Crayon (Bergman Inspelningar)
Bertrand Denzler - Low Strings (Confront)
Marion Brown Quartet - Mary Ann (Live In Bremen 1969) (Mooscius)
Mark Feldman/Tim Daisy/Dave Rempis - SIROCCO (Aerophonic)
Milford Graves/Arthur Doyle/Hugh Glover - Children of the Forest (Black Editions Archives)
Petra Haller & Meg Morley - Shoulders I Stand On (self-released)
Diego Hedez & The Sounds of Freedom Project - Don't Just Call It Freedom (577)
Sven-Åke Johnasson/Jeanne Lee/Gunter Hampel/Freddy Gosseye/Michael Waisvisz- Scheisse '71 (Black Truffle)
Zlatko Kaučič/Boštjan Simon – Žepi/Pockets (Jazz Cerkno Records)
Brandon López - vilevilevilevilevilevilevilevile (Tao Forms)
Frantz Loriot/Jason Kahn/Christian Wolfarth – Köln (Editions)
Malombo Jazz Makers - Down Lucky's Way (Tapestry Works)
Pascal Niggenkemper - Bloc (Subran)
Lesley Mok- The Living Collection (American Dreams)
Ivo Perelman/Dave Burrell/Bobby Kapp - Trichotomy (Makahala)
Vance Purvey/Whit Dickey/Spin Dunbar - 1983, Motifs 2023 (nhic)
William Roper, Cassia Streb, & Tim Feeney - Avenue 64 (Infrequent Seams)
Mark Sanders/Hyelim Kim/John Edwards - Senstive To Light (Shrike)
Brandon Seabrook's Epic Proportions - brutalovechamp (Pryroclastic)
Giacomo Salis/Paolo Sanna - Acoustic Studies For Sardinian Bells (Falt)
Dave Scott - Song For Alice (Steeplechase)
Sun Ra And His Arkestra – Saturn XIII (Presspop)
Craig Taborn/Joëlle Léandre/Mat Maneri: hEARoes (RogueArt)
Birgit Ulher/Carol Genetti/Eric Leonardson - horizontal shift (Amalgam)
Ove Volquartz/Gianni Mimmo/Peer Schlechta/John Hughes - Cadenza Del Crepuscolo (Amirani)
Various - Live At Plus-Etage Volume 1 (New Wave of Jazz)

Looking forward to:
-3xCD Steve Swell & friends box set + Joëlle Léandre bass duo on Not Two
-the next 6 from Fundacja Słuchaj, 3 of which are out now, incl. Barry Guy Blue Shroud Band, Francois Carrier & friends 3xCD box, Swell/Tokar/Kugel trio, and a disc with our friends Alexander Hawkins & Karl Evangelista w/ Tatsu Akoi and Michael Zerang

8 hours ago, colinmce said:

Some more of my favorites from the second quarter of this year:

Actual Music (Tatsu Akoi/David Pavkovic) - Actual Music Now (FPE)
Agnel/Lanz/Vatcher - Animals (Klanggalerie) 
Gonçalo Almeida - Ciclos (Cylinder Recordings)
Albert Ayler - More Lost Performances Revisited (ezz-thetics)
Elsa Bergman - Playon Crayon (Bergman Inspelningar)
Bertrand Denzler - Low Strings (Confront)
Marion Brown Quartet - Mary Ann (Live In Bremen 1969) (Mooscius)
Mark Feldman/Tim Daisy/Dave Rempis - SIROCCO (Aerophonic)
Milford Graves/Arthur Doyle/Hugh Glover - Children of the Forest (Black Editions Archives)
Petra Haller & Meg Morley - Shoulders I Stand On (self-released)
Diego Hedez & The Sounds of Freedom Project - Don't Just Call It Freedom (577)
Sven-Åke Johnasson/Jeanne Lee/Gunter Hampel/Freddy Gosseye/Michael Waisvisz- Scheisse '71 (Black Truffle)
Zlatko Kaučič/Boštjan Simon – Žepi/Pockets (Jazz Cerkno Records)
Brandon López - vilevilevilevilevilevilevilevile (Tao Forms)
Frantz Loriot/Jason Kahn/Christian Wolfarth – Köln (Editions)
Malombo Jazz Makers - Down Lucky's Way (Tapestry Works)
Pascal Niggenkemper - Bloc (Subran)
Lesley Mok- The Living Collection (American Dreams)
Ivo Perelman/Dave Burrell/Bobby Kapp - Trichotomy (Makahala)
Vance Purvey/Whit Dickey/Spin Dunbar - 1983, Motifs 2023 (nhic)
William Roper, Cassia Streb, & Tim Feeney - Avenue 64 (Infrequent Seams)
Mark Sanders/Hyelim Kim/John Edwards - Senstive To Light (Shrike)
Brandon Seabrook's Epic Proportions - brutalovechamp (Pryroclastic)
Giacomo Salis/Paolo Sanna - Acoustic Studies For Sardinian Bells (Falt)
Dave Scott - Song For Alice (Steeplechase)
Sun Ra And His Arkestra – Saturn XIII (Presspop)
Craig Taborn/Joëlle Léandre/Mat Maneri: hEARoes (RogueArt)
Birgit Ulher/Carol Genetti/Eric Leonardson - horizontal shift (Amalgam)
Ove Volquartz/Gianni Mimmo/Peer Schlechta/John Hughes - Cadenza Del Crepuscolo (Amirani)
Various - Live At Plus-Etage Volume 1 (New Wave of Jazz)

Looking forward to:
-3xCD Steve Swell & friends box set + Joëlle Léandre bass duo on Not Two
-the next 6 from Fundacja Słuchaj, 3 of which are out now, incl. Barry Guy Blue Shroud Band, Francois Carrier & friends 3xCD box, Swell/Tokar/Kugel trio, and a disc with our friends Alexander Hawkins & Karl Evangelista w/ Tatsu Akoi and Michael Zerang

Thanks!

Which of those do you think you’ll be returning to most?

17 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks!

Which of those do you think you’ll be returning to most?

speaking only for the new music rather than the archival/reissue titles: as I said earlier, the Rempis disc is just fantastic and will be in rotation for quite some time. the Agnel/Lanz/Vatcher disc is right up my alley, a left of center trio thing that rewards return listens. I will be listening to the hEARoes trio more to crack it open some more. I really love the Loriot/Kahn/Walfarth as well and have been compelled to listen to it again and again. I guess to keep this short, lastly I am really looking forward to acquiring Live At Plus-Etage Volume 1 on CD and will certainly be listening to that alot; I really enjoy pulling out these small box sets with different musicians on them to listen to one or all of the performances.

2 hours ago, colinmce said:

speaking only for the new music rather than the archival/reissue titles: as I said earlier, the Rempis disc is just fantastic and will be in rotation for quite some time. the Agnel/Lanz/Vatcher disc is right up my alley, a left of center trio thing that rewards return listens. I will be listening to the hEARoes trio more to crack it open some more. I really love the Loriot/Kahn/Walfarth as well and have been compelled to listen to it again and again. I guess to keep this short, lastly I am really looking forward to acquiring Live At Plus-Etage Volume 1 on CD and will certainly be listening to that alot; I really enjoy pulling out these small box sets with different musicians on them to listen to one or all of the performances.

I like the Rempis too. 

The Marion Brown is very good, if not as "edgy" as some of the others.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, colinmce said:

Have these on the way from serpent.pl $50 USD all in, not too shabby for 5 CDs from Poland.