CD Player Swallows CD?

Tom 1960

Ok guys. This might sound nuts, but I think a disc I was playing as recently as Sunday has been swallowed by my cd player. I was listening to a recording on Sunday and pretty certain I left it in the player having not finished hearing it. I wanted to play the disc again tonight and turned the player on and received a message stating "no disc". I opened the tray and it was empty. I've looked all over the room and can't seem to find it. Has anyone had a problem where a cd player has swallowed a disc? What can I do to possibly remove it? It sounds like I might have to bring the darn thing to a repair shop to have it removed? In the meantime any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Edit:

I just picked up the player and tilted it on it's side and it's in there! Shit!

Edited by Tom 1960

I've had that twice but the disc didn't disappear inside, it was caught in the drive. You have to disassemble the bugger, either way. If you have a CD player that's done up with torx screws, like I do, you need a torx driver to undo them or you'll never be able to get the thing back togeher again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

Thanks to Jim Sangrey, I know about this. Thanks to my local garage man (and on the second occasion, the central heating man, who came along on the right morning) I've been able to borrow the right tools.

MG

The disc is probably stuck on the spindle. Just reach in there with a soft tool and try to loosen it up and bit and then see if can be pulled out.

You may also want to try putting another CD in and see if the two of them come out together but be warned that you may damage your player.

I used to have a Savoy CD by Ralph Moore called "Who It Is You Are" that I had to throw out because the hole in this CD was too small and it used to get stuck in several players. Luckily it never happened in a car player.

I used to have a Savoy CD by Ralph Moore called "Who It Is You Are" that I had to throw out because the hole in this CD was too small and it used to get stuck in several players. Luckily it never happened in a car player.

That's a nice disc. Glad its never been an issue for me.

I had a Denon carousel player swallow a disc. I ended up taking the player to my friendly stereo store where I had bought almost all of my equipment. They were happy to get it out it for me and while they were doing so they couldn't find a record of my buying the player from them. I then realized that although I had gone there to buy one a couple of years earlier they didn't have it in stock and I wanted one right away so I went to Good Guys (which was now out of business). Oops. I "played dumb" however and luckily they had records of 5 other pieces of equipment I had bought from them they let it slide as the customer must be right.

Sadly, this happened to me a few times (a number of years ago).

Best solution IMO is to disassemble the player - I stupidly damaged some discs trying to forcibly dislodge them w/o disassembly (and they were parts of boxed sets, too! :( ).

An update. I brought the cd player to a local electronics store today and a very nice gentleman took the time to open it on the spot with his power screwdriver. It only took a few minutes and the cd was found loose inside the player. Weird stuff. No charge for his efforts. I think he enjoyed chatting with someone who still had an appreciation for home audio equipment. We reminicised about long gone audio stores. That was pretty cool.

An update. I brought the cd player to a local electronics store today and a very nice gentleman took the time to open it on the spot with his power screwdriver. It only took a few minutes and the cd was found loose inside the player. Weird stuff. No charge for his efforts. I think he enjoyed chatting with someone who still had an appreciation for home audio equipment. We reminicised about long gone audio stores. That was pretty cool.

Did he have any idea what happened? Was the CD damaged?

Did he have any idea what happened? Was the CD damaged?

The cd appears fine. Maybe a couple scratches. I played the disc in it's entirety a short while ago and plays perfectly. As for the cause, he wasn't certain. Hopefully, it wont happen again.