Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

Other people might disagree. I'm no audiophile. ;) I do not even really like comparing different masterings. Unfortunately, it's a necessity.

Well you may not be an audiophile but your comparison of the SHM versions of Joe Henderson's State of the Tenor with the 80s releases of the material was quite on target - I totally agree with you - and it is what caused me to buy the SHM versions. Thanks again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm currently waiting for these to arrive:

Duke Pearson - Now Hear This: Although I own Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band on CD, it is missing 3 songs from Now Hear This that have never been available on CD before this SHM reissue.

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch: This is one of those albums that I should already own but don't. With the SHM reissue including two previously unreleased tracks, I'm glad that I waited.

Sam Rivers - A New Conception: I've almost bought the Sam Rivers Mosaic a few times because I wanted to hear this, so I'm ecstatic over it seeing individual reissue. I'm betting that Hal Galper fits with Sam Rivers well, as Galper seems to fit with everyone.

that's simply a stellar troika of masterpieces with varying qualities. of course they're all deserving of a place in your collection. 'now hear this' and 'a new conception' (as well as several others noted in a much earlier reply) are on their way to me.

unfortunately, my humble marantz amp is in the shop; temporarily substituted by an inferior NAD C350...

I'm currently listening to John Patton's That Certain Feeling on repeat. I love the granular quality of the organ sound, which becomes even more pronounced on certain passages. Ponder sounds terrific as well. A quality release for sure.

I wonder how it compares with Mosaic's transfer in their Patton Select set.

that's simply a stellar troika of masterpieces with varying qualities. of course they're all deserving of a place in your collection. 'now hear this' and 'a new conception' (as well as several others noted in a much earlier reply) are on their way to me.

unfortunately, my humble marantz amp is in the shop; temporarily substituted by an inferior NAD C350...

I opted for the cheapest shipping method available, so I won't be able to obsessively track my shipment's progress. :blink:

got my SHM copy of A New Conception, sound is better than the Mosaic but not as dramatically better as on the Henderson State of the Tenor cds which I suppose stands to reason given that the Mosaic was much later than the original domestic releases of the Henderson cds.

One other point about A New Conception for me is that while often times this format (the "out" player plays - for lack of a better word - more conventional music) I shy away from.... this one works!

Edited by skeith

I'm currently waiting for these to arrive:

Sam Rivers - A New Conception: I've almost bought the Sam Rivers Mosaic a few times because I wanted to hear this, so I'm ecstatic over it seeing individual reissue. I'm betting that Hal Galper fits with Sam Rivers well, as Galper seems to fit with everyone.

I'm waiting on this Sam Rivers too, mauled by the critics at the time and allegedly sold about 10 copies.

Also waiting on these late 60s and early 70s fusion sessions:

Elvin Jones - Genesis and Poly-Currents.

Bobbi Humphrey - Flute-In

I also ordered Maiden Voyage back at the beginning of January, along with SHM's of Hampton Hawes Vol 2 + Vol 3 but after about five weeks, CD Japan tell me that the Hampton CD's are no longer available and there isn't going to be a new pressing. So now, at last, Maiden Voyage is on its way to me. Can't wait, if its the same benchmark standard of the remaster of Empyrean Isles it will be a winner.

My experience with CD Japan is that if the item is marked in stock within:

• 3-5 Days

They'll be able to get a copy.

• 3-7 Days

You'll wait a long time, and they won't be able to get a copy.

Not a rule, but my experience. They're excellent with pre-orders. I've received discs just a few days after their Japanese release date when pre-ordering. Their coupon/bonus points also get customers to return (at least it worked on me).

That's pretty much been my experience as well. Though often lately the 3-5 days seem as if they're headed for cancelation and taking considerably more than 3-5 days before any action.

The points system sure helps with the postage.

I've scaled back to the airmail mainly because I'm never there to sign for package when I use the fastest shipping and it seems to take a few more days before they get redelivered to me. I've got about three shippings on the way to me for about four days now. . .hopefully I'll get them next week.

my only quibble is that I wish they had put the liner notes in English in larger print in the booklet.... the mini size replica of the back cover liner notes are too microscopic for me to read. But the sound on this SHM release is gorgeous.

2 solutions:

1) Buy a good reading magnifying glass (available at Barnes & Noble in the book light section)

2) Scan the liner notes and view it on your computer screen, where you can magnify the size.

I need to correct something - the artwork on my A New Conception did indeed have the liner notes in English in larger print - so my quibble is only with the Henderson SHMs not the TYCJ series

The first three of this series that I have ordered arrived this past week: Jimmy Smith's A New Sound, A New Star, Jutta Hipp's At the Hickory House, and Sam Rivers's New Conception. At this point I'm more interested in getting Blue Note titles that I've never heard before rather than upgrading on the classics I already have. Tonight listening to the Hipp, I find myself really impressed and excited by both the music and the quality of the sound. Will they be doing an SHM release of the second volume?

Based on the reviews here, I just ordered a bunch of "early" Blue Notes from the October and November batches - these appear to be limited to six months (at least my Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil and Dolphy Out to Lunch are) and I'll try to work my way through the offerings chronologically, even though there's a few in the Jan and Feb batches I'm quite interested in hearing.