Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this session is so fine i'm literally embarrassed of my prior apathy towards it.

one question; is the version of "count every star" omitted here that's on the north american issue an alternate of that on quebec's "blue and sentimental"....? i -could- reach for the discography, but that would defeat the purpose of continuing the thread.

thanks to all who encouraged this date.

really? no answers from the braintrust here yet? everybody must be on holiday.

'matador' tonight....!

The same version of "Count Every Star" was released on 3 US CDs plus the Mosaic Green/Clark - there wasn't an alternate take

1. Complete quartets of Green & Clark (2CD)

2. GG's "Born To Be Blue"

3. IQ's "Blue & Sentimental" (McMaster & RVG)

Thank you. That is helpful information. :tup

Is there any explanation in Cuscuna's liner notes why these two tracks? According to Wikipedia's page on the Street Singer 1 September 1960 session there was one other Brooks composition, Isle Of Java, while Melonae's Dance is a McLean composition. Adding these two tracks neither makes this the complete 1 September 1960 session, nor makes it include all of Tina Brooks own compositions recorded that day.

why would you delete your thank you....?

To prevent a double post. ;)

Edited by erwbol

ah - you got me! i don't have the shm so can't speak to any comments from cuscuna. i have the blue note works issue of 'back' and three issues of 'bag'. and while researching the bonus tracks i did think the selection of these two curious, however, could it be that they've being saved to tack on a mclean reissue as a bonus....?

I don't know if it has been mentioned or not (don't have the energy to read messages past right now) but Cannonball Adderley's Something Else TYCJ-81002 from October 2013 has one bonus track other than the usual "Bangoon" : alternate version of "Autumn Leaves" (9:33). Peter Losin's sessionography mentions this version but does not list any releases.

Yay, that's great. Picked up the new Somethin' Else completely oblivious to the bonus track (felt the need to upgrade my older CD version) and it was a fine surprise. Now I need at least Blue Train and Speak No Evil as well.

Me too, but finding it difficult to justify the purchase.

For me the new Dolphy was most thrilling of all. If I could keep only one of these five discs...

Me too. I'm not so focused on sound-quality issues, but this new issue was a big improvement. And the bonus material was an amazing surprise, and well worth the upgrade (for the new material alone).

For me the new Dolphy was most thrilling of all. If I could keep only one of these five discs...

Me too. I'm not so focused on sound-quality issues, but this new issue was a big improvement. And the bonus material was an amazing surprise, and well worth the upgrade (for the new material alone).

what were your prior pressings of it (i.e., what are you comparing it to)....?

I presume you asked Rooster Ties, but I own the McMaster, BN Works and formerly RVG. It's a considerable improvement. The HD Tracks 24bit FLACs are also very good, but lack the alternate takes.

Clunky was also very positive about the SHM of Out To Lunch early on in this thread.

Edited by erwbol

i was asking all to whom the question applies, really. i have the 24-bit toshiba from a couple years ago, but these shm's have something to them. what is it? an analog air about them? headroom? all or none of the above? whatever it is, when i put one on i hear it. surely it's not a placebo effect...

I think they are just mastered from really good transfers on really good equipment by a qualified engineer. I picked up the new Miles Davis two cd set on Universal and it shares this sort of sound, and perhaps the same transfer engineering and engineer (on the Davis that is credited to Bernie Grundman).

Edited by jazzbo