Nessa SPAM

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspired by the thread, I slapped on my LP copy on the turntable just now. This is indeed a great record! Had'nt heard it in some time. I'll be caving in for the CD as well.

Insider info alert - you will only hear it here: In '76 I had a bitch of a time trying to make the record sound decent. I think we remixed the date 4 times. For the reissue we dumped the multi-tracks into the computer and discovered a problem. We recorded Warne's sax with 2 microphones - one top and one bottom. We discovered the 2 saxophone mikes were out of phase. We simply corrected the phasing and it sounds much better now.

Inspired by the thread, I slapped on my LP copy on the turntable just now.  This is indeed a great record!  Had'nt heard it in some time.  I'll be caving in for the CD as well.

Insider info alert - you will only hear it here: In '76 I had a bitch of a time trying to make the record sound decent. I think we remixed the date 4 times. For the reissue we dumped the multi-tracks into the computer and discovered a problem. We recorded Warne's sax with 2 microphones - one top and one bottom. We discovered the 2 saxophone mikes were out of phase. We simply corrected the phasing and it sounds much better now.

OK, I'm sold. Loved the LP as it was. Will be getting that CD. This Organissimo Forum is costing me a fortune :angry: And I love it :P

Chuck, do you have a list of all product you have (or will soon have) available? I know there was at least one other disc of yours I had me eye on, but for the life of me I can't recall what it is now. You can e-mail or PM me with it if you'd like or just post it here as I'm sure others would be interested (unless it's like a big catalog of titles or something).

It's not spam if I ask for it. ;):g

Edited by RDK

Chuck, do you have a list of all product you have (or will soon have) available? I know there was at least one other disc of yours I had me eye on, but for the life of me I can't recall what it is now. You can e-mail or PM me with it if you'd like or just post it here as I'm sure others would be interested (unless it's like a big catalog of titles or something).

It's not spam if I ask for it. ;):g

Yep I'd also love to know what other 'Nessa' Cds are available - if you can let us know I'll Pm you with my order for the Warne Marsh also.

Chuck, do you have a list of all product you have (or will soon have) available?  I know there was at least one other disc of yours I had me eye on, but for the life of me I can't recall what it is now.  You can e-mail or PM me with it if you'd like or just post it here as I'm sure others would be interested (unless it's like a big catalog of titles or something).

It's not spam if I ask for it.    ;)  :g

Chuck's catalog was posted in this thread, but the list probably needs an update.

Last night the clutch cable broke and I had to walk home.

No use to you now, but a friend and I drove home from Brussels to London with a snapped clutch cable - putting it into 2nd then starting the ignition gets you moving (with a lurch), then you just have to choose the right speed to change gear without bothering with the clutch. Timing your approach to traffic lights becomes an art.

by the way Chuck how did you decide which alternates to include/exclude, I remember you saying that there was perhaps enough for 2 CD. I don't buy music by the kilo but just curious how these decisions are arrived at.

Excluded are (not including incomplete performances) alternates of everything on the lp with three exceptions. "A Time For Love" was attempted something like seven times, "Subconscious-Lee" was done only once (right at the end of the recording of that tune Warne told me "That's the best I ever played that tune", and "I Have A Good One For You" (you get every scrap of that one).

After listening for over a year to all the tapes I decided I could get the "meat" onto one disc and a single disc would sell better than a set.

The cd includes a note from me about this and I will post it below, as well as the tracks and times.

PRODUCERS NOTE

Before the sessions Warne told me he would record one tune each by Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz and himself from his New York days. He also said they would do a ballad, a blues and Lou had a tune (Lunarcy). Lastly, he was working on the changes of It’s You Or No One and wanted to record it too. He said “I have a good one for you”. Lou asked me to rent an electric piano because he wished to use it for a recording of Johnny Mandel’s A Time For Love.

The electric piano turned out to be defective and generated random static on all takes. We performed a salvage job on one of them for this issue, but some noise remains.

We have included the initial take of On Purpose (complete with a shaky ending) to show the transformation from first to final version.

On the first day of recording we started with a performance of Lunarcy and then Warne launched into a series of takes of his “good one”. We have included all versions of this piece at the end of the disc so you can loop back to the final master (track 1). I Have A Good One For You was the first piece recorded on the second day in the studio. They nailed that one.

TRACK LISTING (the first 7 tracks are the lp sequence)

1 I Have A Good One For You (take 13) 5:29

2 Background Music (take 24) 4:32

3 On Purpose (take 16) 7:07

4 317 E. 32nd (take 22) 6:57

5 Lunarcy (take 25) 9:02

6 Easy Living (take 28) 4:09

7 Subconcious-Lee (take 18) 5:04

8 On Purpose (alt take 14) 5:44

9 A Time For Love (take 8) 5:20

10 I Have A Good One (false starts tk 2 & 3) 0:47

11 I Have A Good One (take 4) 6:48

12 I Have A Good One (take 5) 5:29

13 I Have A Good One (take 6) 5:49

14 I Have A Good One (take 9) 5:55

I forgot to add: Tracks 9-14 recorded on Friday, Feb 20 and the rest on Feb 21.

EDIT NOTE: I see I previously reversed the dates. Sorry.

I hope this information helps you understand my programming decisions.

Edited by Chuck Nessa