Nessa SPAM

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the recorded sound quality is very high, sounds full and rich. It makes interesting comparison to the "Star Highs" session. Hank Jones on the later gives a rocco classical feeling compared to Levy's approach on "All Music". It'll take some time to absorb fully especially all the bonus cuts but I love it already. I recently got "Apogee" which sounds rather hectic and takes some getting used to its high pressure sound stage.

Thanks again Chuck

Ghost started an ALL MUSIC thread on All About Jazz and I got pissed on. He offered to delete the thread and I said I'd deal with it. Hans sent a notice about the message too. Thanks to both.

Damn. I hate this shit.

Edited to mention I sent a message to Mike Ricci about it. I will be interested in the response.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Actually it was just one foo , and the posts over there are generally civil in my experience. The thread is under General Music, btw, and not New Releases.

But here's the thing: I'd really heard Warne on record in the 40's, with Tristano; a couple of sessions in the 50's (with Konitz or Pepper); but mostly, I'd heard Warne in the 1980's on those many recordings coming out of Europe and various other places. That seemed to be his most well documented decade (though I'm not a completist on him at all, far from it).

The thing about All Music is his 70's era playing is on another level all together, and I wasn't getting that from his solo breaks with Supersax, not like this, anyway -- the projection of his ideas is much more forceful, and the control he has over nuance is superhuman. Listening to "Easy Living" on All Music -- every note seems to be regarded for it's tonality within the line. He plays freely from sharp to flat within the smallest intervals of the phrase, let alone the tune's general harmonic center. That imparts more emotion in his playing, and gives the line, not just the solo arch, a sense of tension and release that is slayin' me. "Easy Living" is killin', though there are more spectacular performances on the recording, especially, as noted, the variation on "What Is This Thing Called Love."

My first experience with Warne Marsh will be when I receive my just-today-ordered Tristano/Konitz Mosaic box. I may be coming back for Chuck's reissue in the weeks to come.

Unfortunately, not much information here.

I'll admit ignorance and ask... this is a title that has been out of print for some length of time?

As I've written, many a time before, a person just never quits learning about this great music.

Edited by wesbed