New Lester Young set from Mosaic Records coming

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Ghost! One question, though: I guess that they will include the Keynotes with Johnny Guarnieri too? Do you know?

By the look of it, it's going to be all Lester Young under Universal's umbrella plus the three alternates from the Jones-Smith Inc. session (hence the no-duplication with regard to the previous Lester Young Mosaic). This would make this set the first to combine recordings from different vaults (Universal/Sony) in many years, no?

For me it's buy first, sort out the duplication later.

F

Pretty sure all Keynote sides on which Lester appeared will be included.  I just sent a followup note asking about the Savoy sides (per jazztrain's remark), and what the Goodman sides specifically would be... will post once I hear back.  There will be a single disc of Sony-licensed material.  In addition to having so many of Young's best recordings gathered in a single set, I'm really looking forward to reading Loren Schoenberg's notes for this... he did a great job (as he always does) with Mosaic's last Prez outing.

It doesn't sound like they are including the Lester Young material in the William Savory collection--too bad. 

Yes, too bad.  This would be the perfect place for it.   When I was at the Jazz Museum in Harlem, I found about 20-30 minutes of small group material with Pres on it.  If they would just go ahead and take the risk...

Thanks, Ghost! One question, though: I guess that they will include the Keynotes with Johnny Guarnieri too? Do you know?

By the look of it, it's going to be all Lester Young under Universal's umbrella plus the three alternates from the Jones-Smith Inc. session (hence the no-duplication with regard to the previous Lester Young Mosaic). This would make this set the first to combine recordings from different vaults (Universal/Sony) in many years, no?

For me it's buy first, sort out the duplication later.

F

Pretty sure all Keynote sides on which Lester appeared will be included.  I just sent a followup note asking about the Savoy sides (per jazztrain's remark), and what the Goodman sides specifically would be... will post once I hear back.  There will be a single disc of Sony-licensed material.  In addition to having so many of Young's best recordings gathered in a single set, I'm really looking forward to reading Loren Schoenberg's notes for this... he did a great job (as he always does) with Mosaic's last Prez outing.

Lester recorded twice with Guarnieri. One session under Lester's name for Keynote so that will be included. The other is under Johnny's name but for Savoy. There is no mention of Savoy. My guess is that the 2 Cd's worth of Savoy recordings won't be included.

Thanks to both. The Savoys tend to slip my mind. (of Prez's studio recordings, I got those last).

F

Here are some of the

sides being included:

Teddy Wilson, June 1, 1937, two takes of "I've Found a New Baby"

Benny Goodman, March 9, 1983, "Ti-Pi-Tin"

The aforementioned Una Mae Carlisle, Sammie Price, and Dickie Wells sessions.

The entire Jones-Smith Inc. session, including alternate takes of "Evenin'," "Boogie Woogie," and "Oh, Lady Be Good."  (So just a bit of overlap with the previous Basie-Young Mosaic, but only the four masters from this session.)

It's basically all of the Basie-Young Decca sides, plus recordings by Lester Young between 1936 and 1947 on labels that are currently owned by Universal Music.  No Savoy sides.  The Sony material will all be on a single disc at the end of the set.

Edited by ghost of miles

Were the new Jones-Smith, Inc sides just discovered?  If not (okay, even if so), it irritates me that they weren't included on the previous set, which I own.  With so much music out there that I haven't heard, Mosaic or otherwise, I don't foresee picking up this set when I have the Aladdin and Keynote material.

I have the Aladdin and Nat Cole material and that's it, so this will be essential for me. I've taken the EU budget edition of the Decca Basie off my wish list.

Interesting to see that the Aladdin material is now Universal-owned -- makes sense given that they bought the Capitol and Blue Note elements of the EMI holdings.

I imagine that if you have the first Mosaic, the Verve and this box you will have everything Pres commercially recorded, yes?

I have the Aladdin and Nat Cole material and that's it, so this will be essential for me. I've taken the EU budget edition of the Decca Basie off my wish list.

Interesting to see that the Aladdin material is now Universal-owned -- makes sense given that they bought the Capitol and Blue Note elements of the EMI holdings.

I imagine that if you have the first Mosaic, the Verve and this box you will have everything Pres commercially recorded, yes?

You will have the vast majority of it.  As mentioned above, the Savoy recordings are not included.  Also, there are essential early small group recordings made for Commodore and Columbia (Kansas City Six sessions).   Then there are the Jubilee sessions, and, of course, his work with Teddy Wilson / Billie Holiday.   

Edited by John L

Were the new Jones-Smith, Inc sides just discovered?  If not (okay, even if so), it irritates me that they weren't included on the previous set, which I own.  With so much music out there that I haven't heard, Mosaic or otherwise, I don't foresee picking up this set when I have the Aladdin and Keynote material.

Yes. They come from George Avakian's collection - my guess is that these were found when they moved his and his wife's papers to NYPL (link). Before this, there was only one alternate from that session ("Shoe Shine Boy", IIRC). I'm really looking forward to the alternate of "Lady Be Good".

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

You will have the vast majority of it.  As mentioned above, the Savoy recordings are not included.  Also, there are essential early small group recordings made for Commodore and Columbia (Kansas City Six sessions).   Then there are the Jubilee sessions, and, of course, his work with Teddy Wilson / Billie Holiday.   

Thanks, John. I have the Holiday sides, of course. Odd that the first Mosaic didn't include the KC6 sessions. Savoy and Jubilee -- what would be a good source for those?

The Commodores will be included in this new set.

The Commodores will be included in this new set.

Great

It doesn't sound like they are including the Lester Young material in the William Savory collection--too bad. 

Little to none, it seems. Counting existing sets of this material (none of the discs filled to the brim though):

- Basie on Decca: 3 CD
- Pres on Aladdin: 2 CD
- Pres on Commodore: roughly 1 CD
- Pres on Keynote: 1 CD
- Pres' session with Nat Cole for Verve: half a CD

That leaves a disc for the other bits mentioned, plus some 15-20 minutes per disc to fill everything to the brim, if they're inclined to do so (usually they're not).

I'm in, hell, if you don't have 3-4 tunes, then you really don't have it all, right?.

Clear off one set of shelf space, make room on another.

Actually, Pres on Commodore would take two CDs if they include all the alternates

Thanks, John. I have the Holiday sides, of course. Odd that the first Mosaic didn't include the KC6 sessions. Savoy and Jubilee -- what would be a good source for those?

The Savoy and Jubilee sides did not fall into the same record company umbrella as the material in the first set, or this upcoming set, and thus were not included.

My favorite versions of the Savoy material appear on cds from Savoy/Denon . . . though the American branch (Savoy on Warner Bros.) two cd version is more compact and affordable. A search on Amazon for "Lester Young Savoy" will show most if not all cd options.

Sorry, as was clarified above, the Commodores will be included.   Savoy issued a 2-CD set of all the Savoy recordings, including an absolutely killer live date from 1950 that was issued on that label in the 70s.  It is still available from Amazon as CD or download.   The Columbia studio session of the Kansas City 6 was issued in full on the Spirituals to Swing Box Set (also still available at Amazon).  The Jubilee tracks have been on various compilations.   I have them on Masters of Jazz

The Columbia studio session of the Kansas City 6 was issued in full on the Spirituals to Swing Box Set (also still available at Amazon).

Alas not complete. 'Song of the wanderer' is missing on the Vanguard set. It is included on the EPM disc Count Basie The golden years vol. 2 1938. That disc in turn misses 'Lady be good'

The Columbia studio session of the Kansas City 6 was issued in full on the Spirituals to Swing Box Set (also still available at Amazon).

Alas not complete. 'Song of the wanderer' is missing on the Vanguard set. It is included on the EPM disc Count Basie The golden years vol. 2 1938. That disc in turn misses 'Lady be good'

Yes, thanks, I forgot about that!  I have it on Masters of Jazz

what is the columbia studio session of the KC 6?

On June 3th 1938 Buck Clayton, Lester Young, Count Basie, Walter Page and Helen Humes recorded 8 tracks that were later partly used by Vanguard in their issue of the Spirituals To Swing Concert as if it was part of the concert. The concert was organised by John Hammond who worked for Columbia. Probably the session was recorded in a Columbia studio.

Actually, it is usually referred to as the Kansas City Five session with Helen Humes.   John Hammond recorded it on the sly on June 3, 1938 when the Basie band was still signed to Decca.   The tracks were originally released as being (incorrectly) from the Spirituals to Swing Concert.

Buck Clayton, Lester Young, Count Basie, Walter Page, Jo Jones, Helen Humes

Alley Oop, Blues With Helen, I Ain't Got Nobody, I Never Knew, Don't Be that Way, Song of the Wanderer, Mortgage Stomp, Lady Be Good.

Great music!