New Lester Young set from Mosaic Records coming

On 4/13/2016 at 3:04 PM, gmonahan said:
On 4/16/2016 at 8:02 PM, John L said:

Almost.  As we discussed earlier in this thread, Pres also recorded a few things in the studio for Jubilee as a leader and with Basie.   

On 4/16/2016 at 8:02 PM, John L said:

Almost.  As we discussed earlier in this thread, Pres also recorded a few things in the studio for Jubilee as a leader and with Basie.   

Definitely preordered this one, though this will be at least the third time for me for the Basie Deccas on cd.  I think this is the first time Mosaic has managed to combine Universal-owned and Sony-owned recordings in one set, isn't it?

So, if I have the other Mosaic set, the Complete Savoy set and the Complete Verve set, will this pretty well complete Prez's studio recordings?  I'm not counting the live things.

gregmo

Hey, that was at least a week ago. Who can remember?  

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to interrupt, just to clarify: by Jubilee sessions by Pres as a leader, you mean "These Foolish Things" and "Lester Leaps In" from ca. 20 March 1946 (Jubilee #184) plus the sides done with Buck Clayton and Coleman Hawkins and to be found here:

MI0000351371.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

-- right?

Re: Basie on Jubilee, I'm more confused... on quick glance, the only Jubilee hit under Basie in Bruyninckx is this this from 1943:

-The Jubilee Shows Volume 2- : Count Basie Orchestra: Snooky Young, Harry Edison, Joe Newman (tp) Dickie Wells, Robert Scott, Louis Taylor, Eli Robinson (tb) Earl Warren (as,vcl-3) Jimmy Powell (as) Lester Young, Buddy Tate (ts) Jack Washington (bar) Count Basie (p) Freddy Green (g) Rodney Richardson (b) Jo Jones (d)
Jimmy Rushing (vcl-1) Thelma Carpenter (vcl-2)

Jubilee Show, New York, November 1943

One o'clock jump (theme) Jubilee 5010102
Jumpin' at the Woodside -
Baby, won't you please come home (1) -
Do nothin' till you hear from me (2) -
Don't believe everything you dream (3) -
I found a new baby -
One o'clock jump -

But then there's this, too, on Hep, with more (including above I'm not sure):

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/786/MI0000786658.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

Sorry to interrupt, just to clarify: by Jubilee sessions by Pres as a leader, you mean "These Foolish Things" and "Lester Leaps In" from ca. 20 March 1946 (Jubilee #184) plus the sides done with Buck Clayton and Coleman Hawkins and to be found here:

MI0000351371.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

-- right?

Re: Basie on Jubilee, I'm more confused... on quick glance, the only Jubilee hit under Basie in Bruyninckx is this this from 1943:

-The Jubilee Shows Volume 2- : Count Basie Orchestra: Snooky Young, Harry Edison, Joe Newman (tp) Dickie Wells, Robert Scott, Louis Taylor, Eli Robinson (tb) Earl Warren (as,vcl-3) Jimmy Powell (as) Lester Young, Buddy Tate (ts) Jack Washington (bar) Count Basie (p) Freddy Green (g) Rodney Richardson (b) Jo Jones (d)
Jimmy Rushing (vcl-1) Thelma Carpenter (vcl-2)

Jubilee Show, New York, November 1943

One o'clock jump (theme) Jubilee 5010102
Jumpin' at the Woodside -
Baby, won't you please come home (1) -
Do nothin' till you hear from me (2) -
Don't believe everything you dream (3) -
I found a new baby -
One o'clock jump -

But then there's this, too, on Hep, with more (including above I'm not sure):

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/786/MI0000786658.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

pres was with basie on jubilee #55 and #96. look here:

http://www.colorado.edu/amrc/glenn-miller-archive/gma-catalogs/jubilee

keep boppin´

marcel

Thanks, Ubu.   Yes, it looks like there may only be two tracks with Lester as a leader in the studio on Jubilee.  I forgot that the Jubilee session with Coleman Hawkins was recorded live.

There is quite a lot of Basie on Jubilee in 44-45 with and without Pres.   There is more than a full CD worth of tracks with Pres in the band, and he solos on the majority of tracks.

And that's yet different than from what's on the Hep? Can't find my CD, so can't check right now.

Sorry, my question was directed at bichos, John L posted in between and I only saw that later on - somehow I never counted such sessions (Jubilee, whatever transcriptions) with the regular studio material anyways - I'm well aware it was produced in a studio, but usually it seems in a more relaxed and faster manner ... and it was produced for different channels of distribution.

11 hours ago, king ubu said:

And that's yet different than from what's on the Hep? Can't find my CD, so can't check right now.

Sorry, my question was directed at bichos, John L posted in between and I only saw that later on - somehow I never counted such sessions (Jubilee, whatever transcriptions) with the regular studio material anyways - I'm well aware it was produced in a studio, but usually it seems in a more relaxed and faster manner ... and it was produced for different channels of distribution.

Ubu - Yes.   The HEP CD is "Jubilee Alternatives," for the most part alternate takes of tracks released elsewhere, most notably on the the Jubilee Shows disks that appeared a while back.

I understand your confusion.  When I bought the HEP CD, I first thought that "alternatives" referred to alternative to what Basie was recording on Columbia.   

61wCkxRaFqL._SS280_PJStripe-Robin,TopLef

Edited by John L

Okay, thanks!

Never completed my collection of these Jubilee Shows discs, but the three or four I have are most enjoyable, although sketchy (I'd prefer more volumes like the Hep disc, just compiling the music and omitting all the banter ... it's nice to be able to hear the shows as they were broadcast back in the days ... "is that your tie? -- no, that's my tongue hanging out" ... but all that stuff wears thin after one or two listens).

On 4/18/2016 at 3:43 PM, John L said:

Ubu - Yes.   The HEP CD is "Jubilee Alternatives," for the most part alternate takes of tracks released elsewhere, most notably on the the Jubilee Shows disks that appeared a while back.

I understand your confusion.  When I bought the HEP CD, I first thought that "alternatives" referred to alternative to what Basie was recording on Columbia.   

61wCkxRaFqL._SS280_PJStripe-Robin,TopLef

Storyville appears to have put out several of these things, with Basie cuts sprinkled through a number of them.  It would be nice if they were all located in ONE place!

gregmo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19.4.2016 at 8:29 AM, king ubu said:

(I'd prefer more volumes like the Hep disc, just compiling the music and omitting all the banter ... it's nice to be able to hear the shows as they were broadcast back in the days ... "is that your tie? -- no, that's my tongue hanging out" ... but all that stuff wears thin after one or two listens).

So you don't like Ernie "Bubbles" Whitman aka "the stomach that walks like a man"?? :D  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 9:24 PM, medjuck said:

I didn't get a shipping notice but my credit card has been debited.  My breath is very bated. 

And now I've had a shipping notice.  We'll see how long it takes UPS to get something across the country. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

And now I've had a shipping notice.  We'll see how long it takes UPS to get something across the country. 

And it's in Secacus!

21 hours ago, medjuck said:

And it's in Secacus!

So this morning I got a notice saying it would ship in a couple of days!  But UPS says it's left Secaucus.