Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 5

jazzbo

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

But...The thing that does, to my ears, have the whole "life forever changed" thing is on Disc 6, the very first cut, after the decision to leave open spaces in the charts to allow for later solo overdubbing has been made. Miles says he's going to leave out one bit, then a few seconds later he starts laughing and saying I might leave the whole thing out, like, yeah, this is Columbia, I got resources now. I can just hear him imagining all the possibilities and being delighted as hell that they will be his, no more of this one take make it all at once or don't make it at all shit for me, no sir. He has seen the game and likes his odds even better than ever. And he laughs.

That laugh is priceless to me,, it's one of those ton of bricks micro-moments. Or maybe it's not. But that's why I'm always in for full studio chatter of anything at least once.

Oh yes, that IS a great moment indeed!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/18/2016 at 8:22 AM, felser said:

This is something I'd like to hear once,  so there is a price point I am in/out at.  

Agree with John. While this represents some great music, I would not have the curiosity to listen to it more than once.

Likely, I'm out.

LWayne

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this announcement, here and everywhere!  I'm on the fence and mostly because of others' concerns of how many times will I listen to this.  JSangry makes a good point about the studio chatter and how much we'll be able to glean from the conversations or statements.  I like the way they are presenting it even though as others have pointed out, we have the mastertakes, but it makes sense to present those specific tracks with the project.  I don't expect this to end up costing a lot, especially if one waits a bit.  I could see this hitting the used bins fairly quickly and I'll be surprised if it moves signficant numbers.  Might be a lot of fun to hear.  Tge question for me s how many times?  We shall see.

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

What's "Blues in F"?

Presumably, it's a blues in F...maybe I don't understand the Q.

." A three-LP set, which will include all the previously-unissued material, is scheduled for release on April 15, 2017 (Record Store Day)."  This should be good for those with an aversion to have the same material twice.

Nefertiti

Miles: "Hey, man. Why don't we make a tune with just playing the melody and don't play the solos?"
All: laughter
Tony (I think) "That's what we was doing! ... That shit is groovin'"
Teo: That's a good idea.
Miles: "That's funnier than a motherfucker."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/arts/music/new-miles-davis-boxed-set-features-his-quintet-at-its-peak.html

It's the second quintet, my all time fav. Miles group. The process of creation with that band is revelatory, actually being able to hear that process, will be very very interesting.  Reviewing it for sure.  I'm in, I looked at it first and thought "I have the second quintet box, how much duplication will there be?" but it'll be very, very interesting to hear how it all got there.  For casual Miles fans, they can skip this, but for people like us, mileages may vary but it looks great.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

180818_md_bootleg5.jpgImage Enlarger

I’m just starting to listen to this set. This set poses a problem for Miles Davis fans. It’s unlike the other releases in the series. I find it fascinating. I can already say that one should follow one’s instincts about purchasing this set. If you think that it’s a collection of false starts, incomplete takes, and studio talk, and that you won’t listen to this often enough to justify the purchase, well, that is what this is. I will say that for me the studio chatter, the starts and stops, the incomplete takes all contribute to a bit of education about the Quintet, Miles and Teo, how recordings were made in that studio at that time, how Miles leads a band in the shaping of an arrangement. . . and more. I can see why many would not want to spin this too many times. But I think I’ll spin it often enough. Listening here by myself I can already think of five people I know that I would like to sit and listen to this with and exchange impressions and thoughts. And I will be happy to listen to this more times by myself (next run through I’ll probably do on headphones). 

Sound is exceptionally good imo.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

180818_md_bootleg5.jpgImage Enlarger

I’m just starting to listen to this set. This set poses a problem for Miles Davis fans. It’s unlike the other releases in the series. I find it fascinating. I can already say that one should follow one’s instincts about purchasing this set. If you think that it’s a collection of false starts, incomplete takes, and studio talk, and that you won’t listen to this often enough to justify the purchase, well, that is what this is. I will say that for me the studio chatter, the starts and stops, the incomplete takes all contribute to a bit of education about the Quintet, Miles and Teo, how recordings were made in that studio at that time, how Miles leads a band in the shaping of an arrangement. . . and more. I can see why many would not want to spin this too many times. But I think I’ll spin it often enough. Listening here by myself I can already think of five people I know that I would like to sit and listen to this with and exchange impressions and thoughts. And I will be happy to listen to this more times by myself (next run through I’ll probably do on headphones). 

Sound is exceptionally good imo.

Well said.

I find it fascinating as well. The band starts and stops, trying different approaches to these tunes, and it seems as if nothing is working; they are not making any progress. Then - boom! When the feel is right, Miles lets them keep going, and that first complete take is usually the released master.

And from me.  Lots of good music here.  Several more or less complete takes and breakdowns and some fascinating false starts.  Some of it you might not want to spin to often but there's sufficient here to make it an essential purchase imo.

Yes, he is! But then it's very clear also how collaboratively this band worked, everybody adding his approach and ideas (like that horrible cluckity-cluck-thing Tony does on "Freedom Jazz Dance" for one aborted take). Fascinating indeed! Got almost to the end of disc two yesterday, will pick up from there on the weekend, I hope (live music tonight and tomorrow).

I've listened to the first 2 disks, too. It is fascinating, but I was starting to wonder how many times I will really listen to it. Reading the liners is helping a lot, and will definitely make me go back and listen multiple times.

Interesting the comments about listening with headphones (my thought, too). The very last line of the liner notes says: "For best results - and in order to get the most out of the studio dialogue - we suggest listening to this set on headphones". 

There's also this on the CD3 track page: Transcriptions of studio dialogue for all songs available at: http://plosin.com/milesAhead/Disco.aspx?id=BootlegFJD