all things emusic

John B

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zero art farmer in my collection....

any recs from emusic?

Any of those dates Fantasy/Prestige dates from the '50s is good. For more recent stuff, I have Silk Road, and remember it as being nice, but not essential.

There are a couple of Jazztet sides with Benny Golson, but they are more recent ones. Anybody know anything about those?

• 1 month later...

The Cedar Walton just out on High Note -- One Flight Down -- is on emusic.

Some more obscure things that I have enjoyed Evan Ziporyn, Typical Music (performed by the Arden Trio)

World music -- Amadou and Mariam, Rachid Taha (most of his albums), Tinariwen

No World Circuit so far, but fingers crossed that that label will show up eventually.

• 2 months later...

:excl:

I recently downloaded Dexter Gordon/Al Cohn's True Blue on Xanadu, and something odd is going on.

First of all, when you d/l this album, you get four tracks — even though eMusic advertises only three. You get two versions of "Ladybird," which are actually the same version, except that one is extended for two additional minutes. Now, here's where it gets strange:

The track "Ladybird" starts off great — two tenors, two trumpets, and rhythm section. Dexter gets the first solo, and he cooks. Then, right at 1:30, there's a severe edit, and all of a sudden ... Ronnie Cuber is playing "All The Things You Are"! What the hell? Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

Is this on the original vinyl, or is eMusic f--king with us? I'm fairly sure it's Cuber, but I suppose it could be Cohn on baritone. Still, this goes way beyond even a crazy Dick Bock edit. If anyone has the original vinyl, can you chime in?

At least right now, this a bizarre mystery. Then, almost as if to make things like: "Hey, that didn't really happen" — right after Cuber's solo finishes ... "Ladybird" comes back (ensemble), and the tune ends.

Any eMusic experts here want to tell me what's going on? Have I been sucked into The Xanadu/eMusic vortex?

:ph34r:

Late,

I downloaded True Blue quite a while ago (October of 2005, it looks like), and I only have three tracks. I only have one Ladybird, which starts off the album and clocks in at 11:06.

My guess is that eMusic somehow screwed up and mixed this track with something from Cuber. I've seen a few "bad rips" at eMusic from time to time. Or, maybe they're just getting on the "mash-up" bandwagon! :D

I'd report this to eMusic... they'll likely pull the bad track, and should give you credit for the one download that you were burned by. I've had good luck in my dealings with eMusic customer service over the past couple of years... they've refunded everything I've ever asked for.

Cheers,

Shane

Late,

I downloaded True Blue quite a while ago (October of 2005, it looks like), and I only have three tracks. I only have one Ladybird, which starts off the album and clocks in at 11:06.

I'd report this to eMusic... they'll likely pull the bad track, and should give you credit for the one download that you were burned by. I've had good luck in my dealings with eMusic customer service over the past couple of years... they've refunded everything I've ever asked for.

Shane

Thanks for the tip, Shane. Is your "Ladybird" screwed up? When you have a chance to listen to it, I'd be interested in knowing. Maybe when eMusic updated (years back) their Xanadu listings to variable bit rate, something happened?

Oh — the mystery continues (forgot to mention this): After I downloaded this title, my download count never went down. Am I missing something? I logged out, logged back in, and it was as if I'd never downloaded the album.

More :ph34r:

:

Is this on the original vinyl, or is eMusic f--king with us? I'm fairly sure it's Cuber, but I suppose it could be Cohn on baritone. Still, this goes way beyond even a crazy Dick Bock edit. If anyone has the original vinyl, can you chime in?

Tracks list for the Xanadu vinyl:

side A

- Lady Bird 10.59

- How Deep Is the Ocean 9.30

side B

- True Blue 17.38

Saxes are Dexter and Cohn only on tenor!

Late,

Shane

Thanks for the tip, Shane. Is your "Ladybird" screwed up? When you have a chance to listen to it, I'd be interested in knowing. Maybe when eMusic updated (years back) their Xanadu listings to variable bit rate, something happened?

Oh — the mystery continues (forgot to mention this): After I downloaded this title, my download count never went down. Am I missing something? I logged out, logged back in, and it was as if I'd never downloaded the album.

More :ph34r:

Hi Late,

Just listened to the track, and no problems with it at all. My tracklist matches up with what Brownie just posted. Glad to hear you got the download for free!

Oh, and thanks for motivating me to listen to this again. I haven't listened to LTD is a while, and this is a good album. Not his best by any means, but fun to listen to again!

Cheers,

Shane

Shane — per your tip, I contacted eMusic (with the "defective track" e-mail option). We'll see what they say.

And, lo and behold, this same glitch is on a Xanadu Sam Noto track too (from Act One). Argh! This one is stranger though. Noto's not even on the track! It starts off with Barry Harris playing "I Should Care." Then right around 1:53 there's an edit, Barry starts swinging all of a sudden, and ... here comes Ronnie Cuber again. The track, however, is listed as "I Should Care/What is There to Say" — but Cuber's not on the album, and I don't think he's actually playing "What is There to Say." Do you think this track should be reported too?

Would anyone mind checking this track from Act One if you've downloaded it from eMusic?

:wacko:

What the heck is going on? The playing is great, but Ronnie keeps jumping into albums that he wasn't on!

Edited by Late

I listened again, and that track is definitely not "What is There to Say." It's a major blues, and it's tasty! Still — it's a weird shift to go from the ballad "I Should Care" to Cuber belting it out.

(Listens again.)

OK. Crap. This track is all effed up. After Cuber ends his blues, there's a pause, then a fade-in: Noto finishing his solo on "I Should Care." AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

eMusic is dogging me.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

eMusic is dogging me.

Just an update. I am now un-dogged. After multiple re-downloading, all the Cuber-invaded tracks play as they should (sans Ronnie). The Xanadu catalog at eMusic is, after all, clean. I guess there was some sort of cyber-glitch when I initially downloaded them.

But now I wonder ... what were those mysterious Cuber sounds? (Twilight Zone music plays.)

I also notice that when you do a Xanadu label search at eMusic, the top hit is now Sam Noto. Cool! (I wish they would add Walter Bishop Jr.'s Bish Bash to the list, though. I feel like I'm nevuh gonna hear it!)

A handful of the Xanadu downloads at eMusic are still in the 128K mp3 format (which the site marks with a :excl: ). Most, however, have been "upgraded" to a variable bit rate. The Cohns, for instance, sound pretty darn good to me. The Billy Mitchell sounds good as well. The Jimmy Rowles-Al Cohn duo set, unfortunately, doesn't sound so good.