JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

55,922 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, bluemonkey said:

jackwilson_somethingpersonal_zpsbd90bc71
Jack Wilson: Something Personal

:tup!

05c979a731be6eeb1062363ceb3b2f0e6b3a4ccd

What a voice .... stunning Southern Soul ....

713fMQdB5%2BL._SY455_.jpg

Henri Texier - Colonel Skopje (Evidence/Label Bleu)
I discovered this CD, recorded in 1988, just last year.  It's wonderful. Joe Lovano & John Abercrombie fans take note! ;) 

Similar line up on this one too

R-3242098-1321986712.jpeg.jpg

All Texier albums on Label bleu come highly recommended. They are a great run, his French and adopted French bands are every bit as good as the Transatlantik Quartet. I'd say that they're better on a number of the releases. Sclavis, Romano, Deschepper, Ferris, Rabeson - there's some great players on these releases and Texier's writing is always worth the entry fee

Edited by mjazzg

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

All Texier albums on Label bleu come highly recommended. They are a great run, his French and adopted French bands are every bit as good as the Transatlantik Quartet. I'd say that they're better on a number of the releases. Sclavis, Romano, Deschepper, Ferris, Rabeson - there's some great players on these releases and Texier's writing is always worth the entry fee

Texier is always worth it. I think I prefer his European bands. On this one I didn’t really hear the personalities of his famous band mates. Lovano was particularly anonymous. Sorry Joe😮

image.jpg

Edited by Simon8

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for the heads-up on Izlaz, mjazzg!  :tup  I wasn't familiar with that one.  I do have several of Texier's other recordings on Label Bleu with his European bands.  . . . I'm probably in the minority here, but I gotta admit that I prefer Colonel Skopje to some of Texier's more well-known records like Mosaic Man.  

NP:

51zWVKIeWhL._SX495_.jpg

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Texier is always worth it. I think I prefer his European bands. On this one I didn’t really hear the personalities of his famous band mates. Lovano was particularly anonymous. Sorry Joe😮

We all hear things differently.  Often one person's dross is another person's gold -- and vice versa.  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

paulchambers_whimsofchambers.jpg
Paul Chambers Sextet: Whims of Chambers

theloniousmonkplaysdukeellington_zpsk0yf
Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington

23 hours ago, Brad said:

Earlier today, disc one. 

IMG_0812.JPG

Disc 2.