Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjzee

Monk: Complete Last Recordings [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)]

17 posts in this topic

mjzee,

That set appears to be a reissue of this 3-disc set on Black Lion:

41Ez18e0-TL.jpg

The music was recorded on November 15, 1971, and the Black Lion issue (at least) is legit. 

It almost goes without saying that the music is wonderful. Half of it is solo and the other half is a trio with Al McKibbon and Art Blakey.

I don't know whether the Japanese reissue is remastered.

Edited by HutchFan

Which, in turn, is the material issued by Mosaic some years ago on their complete Black Lion/Vogue 3-cd set.

gregmo

Can anyone read Japanese to know which company issued the new version, or is there info on another Japanese site?  The presence of a newly-discovered track would seem to indicate that these are from the original master tapes, but would like to know for certain.

15 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Can anyone read Japanese to know which company issued the new version, or is there info on another Japanese site?  The presence of a newly-discovered track would seem to indicate that these are from the original master tapes, but would like to know for certain.

Just an aside:  I don't think that "Tinkle Tinkle [take 1]" is actually being issued for the first time in that Japanese set.  According to discogs -- https://www.discogs.com/Thelonious-Monk-The-Complete-London-Collection/release/4851138 -- that cut is on the third CD (all alternate takes) in the Black Lion set.

According to tower.jp, this is released by MUSAK/blacklion.  Here's Musak's homepage: http://www.muzak.co.jp, and here's an additional page: http://www.muzak.co.jp/label/blacklion/.  If they have the rights to release these labels, then the Monk may have been remastered from the original tapes.  Some have disparaged the sound quality of the 1201 Music reissues.

O.K.  Then it's very possible that audio quality is better on the new Japanese set.  :) 

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Can anyone read Japanese...

Google Translate does a good job of faking it, I guess:

Complete Last Recordings / Thelonious Monk
Jazz · Giants, Thelonias Monk's Last Studio Recording is the long-awaited reply for the first time in 20 years! 
The master of jazz piano, Seronius Monk celebrating 100 years of birth in 2017, was in Europe during the fall of 1971 
A valuable session that remains in the history of jazz which contained the full picture of the last studio recording by solo and trio 
at London's chapel studio. 
Upon recurrence this time it was the 50th anniversary of my founding that was a 50th anniversary of 
founding Shinjuku's own jazz tea ceremony "DUG" owner and a wonderful photographer Mr. Hozumi Nakahira 
famous for his jazz and photographer as a jazz photographer 
The double paper jacket specification released separately for covering. 
Truckle Tinkle (Take 1) which had not been recorded at the time of last time was added as a bonus track additionally.

My copy arrived yesterday. 

Haven't listened all the way through (Roscoe Mitchell's Ride The Wind also arrived yesterday and... wow) but sound is good to my ears, certainly no complaints (i haven't heard previous releases to compare, sorry).

Packaging is typical Japanese-excellent: gatefold mini LP-style, made from quality card stock, comes in a plastic resealable sleeve, CDs are housed safely in 'cloth' sleeves. 

Took a couple of pictures. There's a booklet but apart from song titles it's all in Japanese. No mention of remaster from what i can see.

If you're like me and don't/didn't have these recordings, i highly recommend.

vIIKthR.jpg

rnIMud1.jpg

8 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Which, in turn, is the material issued by Mosaic some years ago on their complete Black Lion/Vogue 3-cd set.

Any opinions on the sound quality of the Mosaic set?

1 hour ago, sonnymax said:

Any opinions on the sound quality of the Mosaic set?

Very good. To answer your question, I just listened to Criss Cross from this set again. Digital masters were made from original master tapes. 

Edited by Misterioso

1 hour ago, Misterioso said:

Very good. To answer your question, I just listened to Criss Cross from this set again. Digital masters were made from original master tapes. 

The London sessions sound excellent on the Mosaic. The Paris 1954 solo sessions sounds very murky compared to the Vogue CD issued over a decade ago. That CD in turn has been significantly better by the most recent reissue which adds extra tracks but has much better sound

But not his last recorded documents.

I think the very last "recorded" Monk was 1975 the quartet with Paul Jeffrey, Larry Ridley and Monk jr. .

One year later Monk performed for the last time but I don´t think it was recorded.

If this is the Japanese edition I bought last year (see cover below), jump on it if you don't already have this music.  Monk was alive, lively and fresh that day.  Al McKibbon and Art Blakey, c'mon!  Great sound, fully licensed from Black Lion.

R-11447957-1516775727-1839.jpeg.jpg

I am thinking of doing so ... got this on three old Black Lion/DA Music Discs.