ghost of miles

Frank Kimbrough Plays The Complete Thelonious Monk

107 posts in this topic

Not available yet in yurp it seems ... I'm interested!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 10:50 AM, ghost of miles said:

Frank was also a friend of Andrew Hill’s and was/is an advocate of Hill’s music. Has anybody ever done an album of Hill compositions?

Anthony Braxton recorded “Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000,” CIMP #236.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost seems like cheating, part of doing a tribute is selecting which ones to do....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still questioning why I have the Schlippenbach set when I have the originals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some reservations about the set but at $26 and change, c’mon! Placed my order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't pass this up either! Thanks for letting us know about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the set. I'm a big Scott Robinson fan!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, king ubu said:

amazon.fr finally has a release date (tomorrow), but 55€ is a bit steep (other offers range between 60 and 80) ... but I'll keep looking/waiting:

https://www.amazon.fr/Monks-Dreams-Complete-Compositions-Thelonious/dp/B07HSLSQ7L

It's even cheaper on Amazon UK than the US, £13.14 or almost $17. Why not order it from them. Even if you have to pay customs duties, isn't it still relatively inexpensive. 

Frankly, I don't know how the label or Amazon make any money at this price unless the manufacturing costs are low and the price is drastically marked up, as clothes are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pre-ordered from amazon UK - thanks for mentioning this option. Twenty Euros incl. shipping, compared to almost three times as much from amazon.de.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lunch with the man himself a couple of weeks ago during NYC's Jazz Congress, in the food court beneath Columbus Circle:

Me and Frank Kimbrough.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I pre-ordered from amazon UK - thanks for mentioning this option. Twenty Euros incl. shipping, compared to almost three times as much from amazon.de.

Same here. £13.41 with free shipping, incredible deal. Thoroughly looking forward to digesting this set !

Is this a special Brexit deal, at a third of the German price. Or just a pricing balls-up? :blink:

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Lunch with the man himself a couple of weeks ago during NYC's Jazz Congress...

Have they funded the Jazz Government yet, or is that whole thing still happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Have they funded the Jazz Government yet, or is that whole thing still happening?

Most are on furlough. Nothing new.

Pay to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brad said:

It's even cheaper on Amazon UK than the US, £13.14 or almost $17. Why not order it from them. Even if you have to pay customs duties, isn't it still relatively inexpensive. 

Frankly, I don't know how the label or Amazon make any money at this price unless the manufacturing costs are low and the price is drastically marked up, as clothes are. 

Thanks Brad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Same here. £13.41 with free shipping, incredible deal. Thoroughly looking forward to digesting this set !

Is this a special Brexit deal, at a third of the German price. Or just a pricing balls-up? :blink:

I once bought the 6CD Mingus Atlantic set from Amazon.co.uk for a similar price. They had it down as 1 CD. Even though Amazon.co.uk has this as 6CDs, I'm guessing somewhere they have it down as one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Have they funded the Jazz Government yet, or is that whole thing still happening?

We’re waiting for a leader. We’re waiting for Jim Sangrey. ✊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.