ghost of miles

Frank Kimbrough Plays The Complete Thelonious Monk

107 posts in this topic

Not available yet in yurp it seems ... I'm interested!

On 9/26/2018 at 10:50 AM, ghost of miles said:

Frank was also a friend of Andrew Hill’s and was/is an advocate of Hill’s music. Has anybody ever done an album of Hill compositions?

Anthony Braxton recorded “Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000,” CIMP #236.

Almost seems like cheating, part of doing a tribute is selecting which ones to do....

I am still questioning why I have the Schlippenbach set when I have the originals.

I have some reservations about the set but at $26 and change, c’mon! Placed my order. 

Couldn't pass this up either! Thanks for letting us know about this.

I like the set. I'm a big Scott Robinson fan!!

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

amazon.fr finally has a release date (tomorrow), but 55€ is a bit steep (other offers range between 60 and 80) ... but I'll keep looking/waiting:

https://www.amazon.fr/Monks-Dreams-Complete-Compositions-Thelonious/dp/B07HSLSQ7L

It's even cheaper on Amazon UK than the US, £13.14 or almost $17. Why not order it from them. Even if you have to pay customs duties, isn't it still relatively inexpensive. 

Frankly, I don't know how the label or Amazon make any money at this price unless the manufacturing costs are low and the price is drastically marked up, as clothes are. 

I pre-ordered from amazon UK - thanks for mentioning this option. Twenty Euros incl. shipping, compared to almost three times as much from amazon.de.

Lunch with the man himself a couple of weeks ago during NYC's Jazz Congress, in the food court beneath Columbus Circle:

Me and Frank Kimbrough.jpg

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I pre-ordered from amazon UK - thanks for mentioning this option. Twenty Euros incl. shipping, compared to almost three times as much from amazon.de.

Same here. £13.41 with free shipping, incredible deal. Thoroughly looking forward to digesting this set !

Is this a special Brexit deal, at a third of the German price. Or just a pricing balls-up? :blink:

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Lunch with the man himself a couple of weeks ago during NYC's Jazz Congress...

Have they funded the Jazz Government yet, or is that whole thing still happening?

56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Have they funded the Jazz Government yet, or is that whole thing still happening?

Most are on furlough. Nothing new.

Pay to play.

9 hours ago, Brad said:

It's even cheaper on Amazon UK than the US, £13.14 or almost $17. Why not order it from them. Even if you have to pay customs duties, isn't it still relatively inexpensive. 

Frankly, I don't know how the label or Amazon make any money at this price unless the manufacturing costs are low and the price is drastically marked up, as clothes are. 

Thanks Brad!

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Same here. £13.41 with free shipping, incredible deal. Thoroughly looking forward to digesting this set !

Is this a special Brexit deal, at a third of the German price. Or just a pricing balls-up? :blink:

I once bought the 6CD Mingus Atlantic set from Amazon.co.uk for a similar price. They had it down as 1 CD. Even though Amazon.co.uk has this as 6CDs, I'm guessing somewhere they have it down as one.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

We’re waiting for a leader. We’re waiting for Jim Sangrey. ✊