Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brad

Cleaning Records

34 posts in this topic

What do you guys prefer inner sleeve wise? The Blue Note albums always come in paper sleeves without any additional protection. Dust is on your vinyl within seconds. 
 

I myself always use paper sleeves with anti static material on the inside of the sleeve. I always replace the round plastic inner sleeves from Japan with them too but I have to say: those sleeves really seem to protect the vinyl well.... especially against dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pim said:

What do you guys prefer inner sleeve wise? The Blue Note albums always come in paper sleeves without any additional protection. Dust is on your vinyl within seconds. 
 

I myself always use paper sleeves with anti static material on the inside of the sleeve. I always replace the round plastic inner sleeves from Japan with them too but I have to say: those sleeves really seem to protect the vinyl well.... especially against dust.

I use what used to be called rice paper sleeves.  I guess they're not rice paper, just a type of plastic with a paper sheet sandwiched in there, but they seem to work well.  Mobile Fidelity is the most famous brand, but there are lots of others like it out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I use what used to be called rice paper sleeves.  I guess they're not rice paper, just a type of plastic with a paper sheet sandwiched in there, but they seem to work well.  Mobile Fidelity is the most famous brand, but there are lots of others like it out there.

I started using those on my records in the '70s - I think Roscoe Mitchell's "Nonaah" was the first one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes I think those ‘ricepaper’ sleeves are the ones I use too. Never understood why Blue Note used paper sleeves as they clearly do not keep off any dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The paper sleeves actually create dust, as the paper particles flake off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just purchased Mobile Fidelity sleeves from Sleeve City as I’m running out of the poly-lined ones I presently have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ultimate inner sleeve imo was like Columbia used to do - a sealed plastic bag with a little perforation on top to tear off when you were ready to play the record for the first time.  It's like checking into a hotel room and when you go to the bathroom you see that Sanitized for Your Protection strip across the toilet bowl, you know you're getting the very best there is to get.

Downside, though - no catalog advertisements, or pictures about how stereophonic sound works or don't let a bad needle destroy your records. BUT - you can get that anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

The ultimate inner sleeve imo was like Columbia used to do - a sealed plastic bag with a little perforation on top to tear off when you were ready to play the record for the first time.  It's like checking into a hotel room and when you go to the bathroom you see that Sanitized for Your Protection strip across the toilet bowl, you know you're getting the very best there is to get.

Downside, though - no catalog advertisements, or pictures about how stereophonic sound works or don't let a bad needle destroy your records. BUT - you can get that anywhere.

Also, I found that after pulling the LP out of the cover 4 or 5 times, the inner sleeve became a crumpled plastic bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finesse is imperative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.