Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjzee

Charles Lloyd Quartet - Swiss Radio Days Jazz 46

27 posts in this topic

Release date November 15:

51K8ToYm82L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Release date November 15:

51K8ToYm82L.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely buying this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this from the original recording (soundboard or otherwise), or just a rip of something shared on the site which must not be named?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Thing, and as much as I know (I´m a bit too Young), it was this Group that brought a lot of People to jazz in the late 60´s. Many People got in touch with jazz via Charles Lloyd. Needless to say this was one of the very very best and most important Combos during that time...….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Great Thing, and as much as I know (I´m a bit too Young), it was this Group that brought a lot of People to jazz in the late 60´s. Many People got in touch with jazz via Charles Lloyd. Needless to say this was one of the very very best and most important Combos during that time...….

Not being too young, I was already 7 years into jazz when I saw Lloyd - in 1964 when he was a sideman with the Adderley sextet. Great group - Cannonball, Nat, Lloyd, Zawinul, Sam Jones, Louis Hayes.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope this ignites the release of some more unissued performances from the Montreux Jazz Festival ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Is this from the original recording (soundboard or otherwise), or just a rip of something shared on the site which must not be named?

The sound quality in this TCB Swiss Radio Days Jazz series, for the titles I own (6-8 from 50's to 70's) has been universally stunning, so I'm not concerned on this one.  I'm sure it will be soundboard sourced or similar quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is from right around the time when (based on what I've heard of the band, records and boots) Lloyd started being the least inspired player in his own band. Hopefully it's not gonna be like that. I will wait for others to report back before pulling any triggers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

This one is from right around the time when (based on what I've heard of the band, records and boots) Lloyd started being the least inspired player in his own band. Hopefully it's not gonna be like that. 

Jim, I'm very surprised to see you say that.  I highly respect bandleaders who hire people who are better than they are.  For example, Herbie Mann in the late '60s.  Spencer Davis in the mid-'60s.  How about Miles with his first great quintet, his second great quintet and his lost quintet?  Even Dave Clark!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Jim, I'm very surprised to see you say that.  I highly respect bandleaders who hire people who are better than they are.  For example, Herbie Mann in the late '60s.  Spencer Davis in the mid-'60s.  How about Miles with his first great quintet, his second great quintet and his lost quintet?  Even Dave Clark!

I think Jim's referring to a falling-off in Lloyd's playing that occurred in the latter phase of the CL Quartet--a rather different matter than a leader like Miles hiring players who brought strengths that he himself might not have had.  When I interviewed George Avakian a few years ago for a Night Lights show about the Quartet (he was their manager), he was extremely negative about Lloyd's leadership in the group's waning days... seemed to ascribe it to a combination of ego and drugs, though he avoided getting too specific. 

Edited by ghost of miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

 Even Dave Clark!

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ghost of miles said:

I think Jim's referring to a falling-off in Lloyd's playing that occurred in the latter phase of the CL Quartet.  When I interviewed George Avakian a few years ago for a Night Lights show about the Quartet (he was their manager), he was extremely negative about Lloyd's leadership in the group's waning days... seemed to ascribe it to a combination of ego and drugs, though he avoided getting too specific.  

Exactly.

Even if you surround yourself with "superior talent", a bandleader should still lead, set the tone and shape of a performance. Lloyd got to where he often sounded like a sideman in his own band, even on his own tunes.

I very seriously doubt that Ron McClure taking over from Cecil McBee had anything to do with it. But chronologically, that's about when it started happening, at least based on the recordings I've heard. But a lot of times it sounded like The Keith Jarrett/Jack DeJohnette Quartet Present The Music Of Charles Lloyd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up the Lloyd/Jason Moran ECM duo album at a library sale the other day. Just terrible. Lloyd sounds like he's playing a leaky stovepipe, Moran does the best he can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Picked up the Lloyd/Jason Moran ECM duo album at a library sale the other day. Just terrible. Lloyd sounds like he's playing a leaky stovepipe, Moran does the best he can. 

But did you ever like Charles Lloyd? Not everybody has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lloyd's playing generally does not resonate with me.  His release on Resonance a few years ago, Manhattan Stories, is a really nice record. That might be all the Lloyd I need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSngry said:

 

But did you ever like Charles Lloyd? Not everybody has.

No much. But his playing here pretty much shocked me. Their version of "Mood Indigo" could have been titled "Moo-ed Indigo."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand how you wouldn't really like Charles Lloyd, Larry. He's not from the Chicago area and you favor Chicago jazz musicians  like a local sportscaster favors their home team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of his ECM work.  Have not really delved into any other periods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the 1960s Quartet and even though I share Jim's concern about the manner in which Lloyd's playing deteriorated near the end of that group, I'm still going to spring for this one.  Hearing the other musicians in this context will still be fun, even if Lloyd's starting to zone out somewhat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charlesp said:

I can understand how you wouldn't really like Charles Lloyd, Larry. He's not from the Chicago area and you favor Chicago jazz musicians  like a local sportscaster favors their home team. 

Nonsense. The problems I have with Lloyd's playing on that album have only to do with Lloyd's playing on that album. And I could make a list of non-Chicago musicians I favor that might turn out to be the longest post in the history of Organissimo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed w/Jim and others that Lloyd’s playing during the 1960s can be ranked as

1962-65>1966>1967>>>>>>1968

Edited by Guy Berger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Agreed w/Jim and others that Lloyd’s playing during the 1960s can be ranked as 1962-65>1966>1967>>>>>>1968

And let's not mention his 70's work....  Loved his work with Chico Hamilton and the Columbia Albums he did, for sure.

Image result for charles lloyd waves

Edited by felser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.