Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjazzg

New Charles Tolliver

36 posts in this topic

I’m only sad that they won’t be touring this stuff as planned, this Summer. :(

On 8/2/2020 at 8:07 PM, LWayne said:

Agree with this review. Tolliver is solid throughout and I really enjoy the version of "Emperor March". Saw this group play in An Die Musik in Baltimore at the end of February and this new CD is very evocative of that set. Highly recommended!

LWayne

I was at the Friday gig at An Die, it was great. Last time I was there, but I am watching their live streams.

11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for posting. VERY cool!

On 8/3/2020 at 1:34 AM, bertrand said:

I was at the Friday gig at An Die, it was great. Last time I was there, but I am watching their live streams.

Alas, I was at the Saturday gig. Got to spend some quality time with Charles Tolliver though. Nice guy!

LWayne

On 8/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, mjazzg said:

After three listens I'm still to be convinced by this, obviously a minority view around here.  I agree that 'Emperor March' is the strongest track but find the others a bit undercooked and I wanted more Tolliver, wish it was a piano less quartet.  I'm hoping it will reveal its delights in due course.

I'll just go and hide in the corner now...

Listened today and also agree. I found it a boring listen.

A bit mixed feelings bout it. Expected a little more cause of the first messages here. But it’s not bad either. A bit average. Tollivers playing is still very, very good. 

I just finished my listening.  I think it is very good, the writing and arranging and rhythm section are excellent, and Tolliver plays well (you can tell the ideas are still there, and he sounds great for 77 years old, but is not the dynamo he was 50 years ago, of course).  The sax players are fine, though not memorable to me.  I'm really glad to have it and will revisit it many times, but "The Ringer", the Slug's and Loosdrecht live recordings, and the first Big Band album will remain my Tolliver first call go-to's.  

54 minutes ago, felser said:

I just finished my listening.  I think it is very good, the writing and arranging and rhythm section are excellent, and Tolliver plays well (you can tell the ideas are still there, and he sounds great for 77 years old, but is not the dynamo he was 50 years ago, of course).  The sax players are fine, though not memorable to me.  I'm really glad to have it and will revisit it many times, but "The Ringer", the Slug's and Loosdrecht live recordings, and the first Big Band album will remain my Tolliver first call go-to's.  

Yeah for me too. Or the Enja Impact :wub:

56 minutes ago, felser said:

A fair review !  

On 8/7/2020 at 0:42 PM, sidewinder said:
On 8/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, felser said:

A fair review !  

I would agree with ranking of "go to" recordings as well. But I will enjoy "Connect" nonetheless.

LWayne