Ethan Iverson - Bud Powell In The 21st Century

mjzee

Release date January 29:

71Gl%2B4z3DaL._SL1400_.jpg

The effects of the bebop revolution in jazz music are still being felt and explored. Of the half dozen true pioneers of the movement, pianist Bud Powell has remained somewhat in the shadows, although his work has become a major touchstone for true devotees of the music and a principal influence for most of jazz's most explorative pianists. // Powell's brilliant original compositions are essential, infinitely listenable but also strangely tricky. Unlike Monk, Parker and Gillespie, the composer neglected to perform them much after their original recordings, so they never became a part of the jazz lingua franca. Pianist and historian Ethan Iverson provides a fantastic validation of Powell's compositional genius on his new recording, Bud Powell In The 21st Century, a reworking of a number of Powell's pieces for big band.

9 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Will definitely be picking this up, assuming that it’s available as a CD.

It's sad in this day and age that one can't be sure its a reasonable expectation.

BTW how is Iverson a "historian" at this point? I mean he's good at interviews, sometimes his blog is good but .... historian?

Does he need to be an historian to have taken on this project?

27 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

It's sad in this day and age that one can't be sure its a reasonable expectation.

Amazon does list a CD, praise the deity of your choice.  But yeah, several new releases I've taken a pass on, jazz and otherwise, in the past year or two because they were available only as downloads or vinyl.  

One publicist just announced he will only be servicing media with downloads from now on. I am not a fan of downloads when there is physical product available, as I do not have a way of playing downloads away from a computer unless I burn a CDR. I still like physical product to check out the data you can't easily find with a download without a separate search of the computer, songwriters, credits, recording info, etc., which is extremely helpful whether reviewing, preparing a radio show or just enjoying music for fun. 

Most of the downloads I have are of radio broadcasts and webcasts, rather than promos. Even to enjoy them, it is easier to have them on physical discs.

On 04/01/2021 at 3:52 PM, Dan Gould said:

how is Iverson a "historian" at this point? I mean he's good at interviews, sometimes his blog is good but .... historian?

I do like that blog. It's a solid mixture of genuine musician's insight with total nonsense that drives me up the wall. But the former is predominant and makes the latter bearable.

10 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I do like that blog. It's a solid mixture of genuine musician's insight with total nonsense that drives me up the wall. But the former is predominant and makes the latter bearable.

Ha, the balance shifts opposite for me. The nonsense gets too deep to glean the insight!

Edited by Dub Modal