Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan Gould

Mosaic Sets but Especially Tina Brooks

82 posts in this topic

My first Mosaic box set was the initial Monk offering.  My first purchases reflected the music that I already knew I liked: Charles Mingus, Cecil Taylor, Herbie Nichols, Don Cherry.  In the ensuing decades I found myself buying and appreciating sets that would have surprised my earlier self.  I certainly didn't know that there were Stan Kenton or Bobby Hackett or Eddie Condon sets in my future.  

I recall discovering Mosaic in the late 1990s when my office got connected to the internet. I probably found them via the old BNBB. It took me a minute to figure out that these were legit releases -- and in fact by the same people who did the mainstream BN CDs sold in regular shops.

Since I had a bit of catching up to do I would buy them in batches adding up to 12 CDs to sneak in on a particular shipping threshold to the UK. So my first order was for three four-disc sets: Teagarden Capitol, Kenton Presents and Stuff Smith. It was a memorable moment when they arrived -- as others have said upthread, you simply couldn't believe you finally owned this music.

FWIW I quickly followed that order with one for JJ Johnson and Teddy Wilson, then (I think as a Christmas present to myself) the big 12-disc Capitol set. Magical stuff.

22 hours ago, crisp said:

-- as others have said upthread, you simply couldn't believe you finally owned this music.

That was it, always.

23 hours ago, crisp said:

-- as others have said upthread, you simply couldn't believe you finally owned this music.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

That was it, always.

I remember when the Tine Brooks box arrived... I was in heaven. An original pressing of "True Blue" was and continues to be a very hard to find & expensive record. Truth be told, even the 1981 King pressing (first stereo release) was difficult to find & also very expensive back then. The Japanese LPs of "Minor Move" (issued in 1980/81) just didn't show up anywhere in my area. This was pre-Internet so you were at the mercy of what someone traded into your local record store. I was talking to one record store owner and he said that if he ever got in a used copy of it, he'd be taking it home as he hadn't been able to find one. The other two titles hadn't been issued at all at that time. Basically, that Tina Brooks box was one of the holy grails of hardbop for this fan.

The Ike Quebec 45s were a heart-stopping announcement. As was the Cecil Taylor Candid. And then the unedited Mingus Columbias. And....on and on and on.

And now, the Bill Barron set!!!!!

The first thing I did when I got in my Tina Brooks set was record all of the LPs to cassette so I could play them in my car. :)

I did that rather quickly as well though I didn't have a car at the time (spent over 20 years in Texas with just a motorcycle) but needed to play them at work.