Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scooter_phx

DownBeat on archive.org

20 posts in this topic

Thanks for that!

Just experimenting, I hit April 1955 - fascinating. It's fairly easy to use after a few tries ... great resource.

Amazing!
Thanks very much for that useful link.

I have a fair share of the 1954 and 1955 issues of DB; so now I can check out (or even download) the missing ones too. (Better postpone it to the winter months, though, when spare time is more plentiful ;))

Posted (edited)

There is another source:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Down-Beat.htm

This has the advantage of covering thru 1970 (only 1963 is virtually completely missing). It does get sparse at times in the seventies and eighties.  Also, a good number of the Yearbooks.

Edited by Dan Gould

29 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

There is another source:

This has the advantage of covering thru 1970 (only 1963 is virtually completely missing). It does get sparse at times in the seventies and eighties.  Also, a good number of the Yearbooks.

Indeed!  worldradiohistory has some other interesting periodials as well ... The search engine is a bit more reliable on archive.org though in my experience

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

There is another source:

I like this almost better than I like archive.  Thanks for the link!

Oh my.  Check out the 9/9/1949 issue!  Bird tells DownBeat that bop isn't jazz.  Great reading.

Great stuff. I love reading old reviews and interviews and blindfold tests.

32 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Great stuff. I love reading old reviews and interviews and blindfold tests.

Yeah, me too. I really need to try and read all my uncle’s Downbeats someday — about 20-23 years worth, starting ~1965, iirc. Almost no gaps, though I have discovered one or two issues missing for a couple years here and there.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, me too. I really need to try and read all my uncle’s Downbeats someday — about 20-23 years worth, starting ~1965, iirc. Almost no gaps, though I have discovered one or two issues missing for a couple years here and there.

My print collection goes back to about 1971.  db and Jazz Times, plus some random five-or-so-issue flashes in the pan.  I will say, once again, some day...

Internet Archive also has The Record Changer. If you enjoy what IA is providing, chip in to help.

Jim

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, JamesAHarrod said:

Internet Archive also has The Record Changer. If you enjoy what IA is providing, chip in to help.

Jim

"Internet Archive", that's which site exactly? archive.org? I wasn't able to find it in the "Periodicals" section of that site. Did I miss something?

On 31.7.2022 at 1:36 PM, Dan Gould said:

Thanks from me too.
This one seems to use the same files as archive.org. It will be interesting to see which site is better or speedier for pdf downloads.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The Blindfold test on the first issue of 1954 features Duke Ellington rating 10 Duke covers!

On 01/08/2022 at 6:17 PM, paulfromcamden said:

Possibly more of interest to British members but the (UK) National Jazz Archive has a bunch of British journals digitised.

https://nationaljazzarchive.org.uk/explore/journals?

Thanks Paul (from Camden),   looks very useful. I am finding it difficult to navigate but that may reflect my IT capabilities. 

Anthony (from Kentish Town, Camden)

25 minutes ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

Oh Man, a substantial article about Roscoe Mitchell by Terry Martin from April 1967, with quotes from Lester Bowie! Mitchell revieals he played with Coltrane when the latter was at the Plugged Nickel recently.  

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/DownBeat/60s/67/Down%20Beat%201967-04-06.pdf

Lots of friends involved. Thanks for the reminder.