Paul Rutherford has died

Eloe Omoe

Fucking shit shit!

I'm shocked. He is a favorite of mine, and a swell guy to boot. I had the honor of interviewing him last summer for All About Jazz, and he was really a wealth of ideas.

Solo recordings, SME, Iskra 1903/1912, the Tony Oxley unit, his work with Julie Tippetts, John Edwards, Klaus Koch and many others leaves a fantastic legacy. I only wish that he could have had some more years to build on it.

Rest in peace, Paul. Thanks for the music and the conversation.

Paul Rutherford

Edited by clifford_thornton

Yes, very interesting article. I find very sad the comment about only one paying gig in the last 12 months at the time that was written. For a place the size and cosmopolitanism of London that is appalling !

"PR: Yeah, but it basically developed into total free improvisation. Kenny Wheeler came to the club with Art Ellison, a Canadian tenor player." - That would be Art Ellefson I think, who was active here in the 60s and some of the 70s. Recorded with Ronnie Ross on 'Cleopatra's Needle'.

Must have passed that garrett with the Little Theatre Club hundreds of times on my daily walk up to university back in the day. Of course at the time I had no idea of what the place was and what happened there. Quite a non-descript alleyway, if my memory is correct.

Love Paul Rutherford's work with Mike Westbrook's 60s and early 70s groups. He was a very key member of those aggregations.

Edited by sidewinder

Multiphonics Trombone Exponent Paul Rutherford Dies

Paul Rutherford, a leading figure on the British free and improvising jazz scenes for many years, has died, at the age of 67.

Best known for his pioneering use of multiphonics (where the player sings into the mouthpiece while playing) Rutherford formed the group Iskra 1903 with guitarist Derek Bailey and bassist Barry Guy in the 1970s which lasted with a different line-up until the mid-1990s.

Rutherford also played with Mike Westbrook and the free jazz leviathan Globe Unity Orchestra but also liked to perform solo and recorded albums such as The Gentle Harm of the Bourgeoisie.

Like Albert Mangelsdorff, the feted German trombonist, Rutherford took an interest in multiphonics and by using this technique and through his long term commitment to freely improvised music he became a totemic figure on the UK free scene.

Source: Jazzwise Magazine

Well this blows. :angry: This is just as upsetting as when Manglesdorff passed.

That was a nice interview, Clifford. Sad to hear about the lack of paying gigs in those last twelve months. In addition to everything else mentioned, I also liked his work with Brotzmann, too. Will spin 'Fuck De Boere' tonight.

Edited by Holy Ghost

Another shock. Just a shade older than me!

I heard Paul frequently in his early years along with John Stevens and Trevor Watts, it was a fabulous time for jazz in London. Later my tastes changed so I only kept up with his work through reviews and the like. Nevertheless like John before him, he will be sadly missed.

• 1 month later...

Ictus Records is putting out a cd in honor of Rutherford, it sounds like an interesting one.

Flights of Fancy

Suite in 5 movements in memory of Paul Rutherford (1940-2007)

Guido Mazzon Sextet

featuring Paul Rutherford

ICTUS 145 (2007)

Tracks:

1. Flights of Fancy - Movement #1

2. Flights of Fancy - Movement #2

3. Flights of Fancy - Movement #3

4. Flights of Fancy - Movement #4

5. Flights of Fancy - Movement #5

Performed by:

Guido Mazzon - trumpet, conductor

Paul Rutherford - trombone

Renato Germaia - saxophones

Rudy Migliardi - tuba

Umberto Petrin - piano

Tiziano Tononi - drums

Recorded:

Noci, Italy, June 25, 1993

About:

For more then 35 years, Guido Mazzon has been one of the leading voices of the new jazz in Italy. His musical endeavors crossed from contemporary jazz compositions, improvised music and songs, to interaction between music and poetry, literary prose, dance and video art. His artistic collaborations include some of the greatest European and American improvisers from Evan Parker to Anthony Braxton; at this album he is joined by legendary British trombone player Paul Rutherford.

To compose or to play is like writing on a "tabula rasa" (clean slate) where I draw sounds, emotions and create intimate relationships with my partners. To play music together is to live common experience; to express emotions is not necessarily to utter high concepts but simply to tell the stories. (Guido Mazzon)

• 5 years later...

I was listening to Trombolenium this morning and decided to revisit this thread shortly afterward. Started me thinking about Mr. Rutherford and other musicians who have dedicated their lives to music and have received few financial rewards. I know that I owe each of them more than I can repay. Reading Clifford's interview with Paul Rutherford http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=22016 was moving and saddening at times.

Edited by paul secor