Roach/Harper/Bridgewater/Workman

sonnyhill

I was listening to the Max Roach B'day broadcast last week on WKCR and this band was featured on one segment. Really smoking. I understand that this band's recordings were only released in Japan (Live in Tokyo Vol 1 & 2 etc.). To my ears, this is the best band that Roach led -- and that's saying a lot.

Not only in Japan. There was also "The Loadstar" on Horo in Italy.

I got the Tokyo albums on eBay and transferred them to CDR for Blindfold test 6. There's a small skip on Round About Midnight. I considered this Max's greatest band although the subsequent Odean Pope quartet stayed together longer. Saw them live twice, really felt like they coaxed Cecil Bridgewater into far deeper playing than he had done anywhere else, and became a lifelong fan of Billy Harper.

• 10 years later...

I have in my Vinyles L.P's-records all the..:Max Roach - Clifford Brown, 5t..). Here are few other Vinyles of Max Roach , with the 'autograph  of the jazz-musicians present in the recording-sessions,.Ciao fabio.,- 

4- max roach,dr 4t ,,live in Amsterdam,,1977,by BayState, RJL,2681...-Autographed by -> reggie workman ,bassist..-
 5- max roach,dr 4t ,,live in Tokyio ,1977 vol,2^ ,by Denon Jazz,PCM,.7509...-
 Autographed by -> reggie workman ,bassist.. cecil bridgewater ,trumpet ..--
 6- max roach,dr ,5t  ,,deeds, not words,, by Riverside-OJC,.304 ..-
 Autographed by -> george Coleman ,sax..-

• -

•  

• 2 years later...

Did this quartet only make five records?

Cecil Bridgewater: trumpet

Billy Harper: tenor saxophone
Reggie Workman: bass

Max Roach: drums

1976 • September 2       Nommo

1977 • January 21          Live In Tokyo

1977 • July 27                The Loadstar

1977 • August 17           Live In Amsterdam

1978 • June 10              Confirmation

Are there any more ... ? 

5 hours ago, Late said:

Did this quartet only make five records?

Cecil Bridgewater: trumpet

Billy Harper: tenor saxophone
Reggie Workman: bass

Max Roach: drums

1976 • September 2       Nommo

1977 • January 21          Live In Tokyo

1977 • July 27                The Loadstar

1977 • August 17           Live In Amsterdam

1978 • June 10              Confirmation

Are there any more ... ? 

No record .... but audio + video ;-) ....

I saw them in the late 70´s and it was FANTASTIC. 

I was so exited before the concert, I mean, THE GREAT MAX ROACH. 

As much as I remember, one of the tunes was "It´s Time", and there was "Peaceful heart" and a very very interesting version of "Round Midnight", were I think they played the A-parts in 3/4 and changed into 4/4 in the brigde, very fast. This was one of the craziest versions of "Midnight" I ever heard. And there was some Roach drum solo: "The drum waltzes" and "Mr. Hi Hat". 

The next day I hurried to the record dealer to ask for Max Roach LPs. The above mentioned LPs were not available, he gave me "Speak Brother Speak" because the "America" Label was very present then and easy to purchase. 

On "Speak Brother Speak", the drum solo of Roach really reminded me of the solo he played the night before at "Kongresshaus". That´s was the place were they played. 

.., Here are few more Live ''Radio 's Bootlegs Tapes Recordings''. These  Live .,CD's,, concerts are ,NOT, in my home-Collections..,but at least, I can try to get them in cd.'s-copyes,.!!,,.- Have a nice day,. Ciao ,fabio .,Roma  - fabiodrummy@gmail.com 

Max Roach., 4t on 3* September,1978 - Live at,,: Willisau Jazz Festival,,.-
Max Roach - drs -Cecil Bridgewater.,tr -Billy Harper.,ts
Calvin Hill.,cb,.- ))1. It's Time, -2. announcement, -3. Round Midnight ,,-
4. announcement, -5. South African SixThree, -6. announcement.,,-
7. Call Of The Wild And Peaceful Heart (fade out),,.-
8. announcement - +  9. announcement, -10. Six Bits Blues,,.-
11. unknown  title /  interview   CD-copy Time..:  69'',.-
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
^* I - This is not the concert of the two Denon recorded Live in 1977 - (or  ''Baystate''  recorded in Amsterdam ,.),,.-
Max Roach  ,4t  " Japan 1979 " ,,Cecil Bridgewater, tr ; -Billy Harper, ts ;
 -Reggie Workman.,cb ;  -Max Roach,.dr,,-.
1 Call of the wild and peaceful Hearth ,,-2 Six Bit Blues
3 Mr. Hi Hat  ,,-4 Now ' s the time,,.-
5-8 Interview - Presentation partially in Japanese

,,,,  x  x  x  ,,,,,

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw them in the late 70´s and it was FANTASTIC. 

Me too, triple bill at Keystone Korner with Dexter Gordon Quintet (back from Europe) and Bobby Hutcherson Quintet.  My best jazz night ever!   Original booking was Roach and Hutcherson, which would have been great as it was, then Gordon was added late as an extra (used Eddie Henderson and Hutcherson's rhythm section as his group).   Will never forget it.    Reggie Workman was on fire.   ca. Dec. 76 - Jan 77 I believe.

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

No record ... but audio + video ...

:tup I watched that video last night. Max and Billy in matching black turtlenecks!

49 minutes ago, felser said:

... triple bill at Keystone Korner with Dexter Gordon Quintet (back from Europe) and Bobby Hutcherson Quintet.  My best jazz night ever!

:tup I'm jealous! ^_^

==============

Max, to my ears, is one of the most horn-like drummers in jazz. While he can definitely support a band as the "drummer," I think his natural tendency is to play up-front with the horns, almost as if the bass is the sole "rhythm" section, and Max is one of the horns (in this case with Bridgewater and Harper). It reminds me of a comment Joe Henderson made about Roach (— something to the effect of): "I really like Max's playing, but I don't know if I could play with him." I'm not exactly sure what Henderson meant there, but I feel like I understand it. 

1 hour ago, felser said:

Me too, triple bill at Keystone Korner with Dexter Gordon Quintet (back from Europe) and Bobby Hutcherson Quintet.  My best jazz night ever!   Original booking was Roach and Hutcherson, which would have been great as it was, then Gordon was added late as an extra (used Eddie Henderson and Hutcherson's rhythm section as his group).   Will never forget it.    Reggie Workman was on fire.   ca. Dec. 76 - Jan 77 I believe.

Wow!