Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

george-paradise.jpg

PARADISE SPACE SHUTTLE - George Adams Quintet - Adams (ts, fl, voc), Ron Burton (p), Don Pate (b), Al Foster (d), Azzedin Weston (perc). Timeless - Muse LP.

EarthBeams.jpg

EARTH BEAMS - George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet with Dannie Richmond and Cameron Brown. Timeless LP.

Girlfriend is out working, I'm at home with a lot of household tasks at hand so this is the musical accompaniment that I chose for this morning:

Antony Williams - Life Time (Blue Note, Dutch pressing)

MI0001541797.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

John Tchicai - Tribal Ghost (NoBusiness)

nblp-65.jpg

Dave Holland - Conference of the Birds (ECM)

MI0001656366.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Oliver+Lake+-+Heavy+Spirits+-+LP+RECORD-

HEAVY SPIRITS - Oliver Lake - Arista Freedom LP. A very good album that does not seem to have obtained much status. Joseph Bowie does a nice track here too.

The fate of most Arista/Freedom LPs it seems.

I was at one of the recording sessions for this (in Boston). It was reissued on cd by Black Lion.

HEAVY SPIRITS - Oliver Lake - Arista Freedom LP. A very good album that does not seem to have obtained much status. Joseph Bowie does a nice track here too.

Alas, I think you are right. I was just looking at a list of Arista Freedom LPs, and -- should I admit this?-- I think I have all of them except "New York Mary" (which I have passed on a dozen times). I suspect that if some of these titles were issued on Incus, or FMP, or some other difficult label to find, people would happily be paying big money for them. Maybe we should have an Arista Freedom "what are you listening to?" festival.

71d0K.jpg

Nicra, Listen/Hear (Ogun). Nice quintet date led by trombonists Nick Evans and Radu Malfatti (back when he played hot trombone as opposed to staring at his shoe). Keith Tippett, Buschi Niebergall and Makaya Ntshoko are also on board.

That's a good record. Remember seeing it in the late 70s but not jumping. The internet was my friend a few years back.

Alas, I think you are right. I was just looking at a list of Arista Freedom LPs, and -- should I admit this?-- I think I have all of them except "New York Mary" (which I have passed on a dozen times). I suspect that if some of these titles were issued on Incus, or FMP, or some other difficult label to find, people would happily be paying big money for them. Maybe we should have an Arista Freedom "what are you listening to?" festival.

I have almost all of them. They damn near flooded the cutout bins at one time. Wondering how many newer listeners who find copies today are finding them with cutout scars.