• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Nope - never collected Moers vinyl, haven't had a turntable in 20+ years. 😥

Both this and the Mitchell are superb. Not sure if they ever ended up on CD (too lazy to look). 

Isolation is great. Tenor, bass clarinet, and corn-pipe I believe. The passage with him overblowing on that instrument is nuts!

20 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Both this and the Mitchell are superb. Not sure if they ever ended up on CD (too lazy to look). 

Isolation is great. Tenor, bass clarinet, and corn-pipe I believe. The passage with him overblowing on that instrument is nuts!

Too lazy to confirm myself but I think the only Moers LPs that made it to CD are the two John Carters, Odean Pope - Almost Like Me, Sunny Murray Trio, MRE - No Wave, RSJ - Street Priest, and the Phalanx album. By the time they transitioned new releases to CD they weren't putting much out that was very interesting but there is a great Gunter Christmann album on there from 1995 that is the first true example of his mature conception (a la Explico).

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my turntable:

NC0xNTQ5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt - Together Again for the Last Time (Prestige, 1976; rec. 1973)
with Junior Mance (p, el p), Sam Jones (b), Ajaramu (d, side 1), Mickey Roker (d, side 2), and Warren Smith (perc, 2 cuts on side 1)

God... I remember when that was a new record... and I love how they made it LOOK like a new record. 

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Coleman Hawkins - Reevaluation:  The impulse! Years.  

This is an absolutely flawless pressing from the 1980s.  The vinyl is dead quiet, the highs are smooth and rounded, and there is no distortion.

I got the same thing on an 80s pressing of Hawk's impulse! bossa record. Green label?

It was so quiet that it scared me out of playing it again. Transferred it to cassette right then and there! 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

God... I remember when that was a new record... and I love how they made it LOOK like a new record. 

I got the same thing on an 80s pressing of Hawk's impulse! bossa record. Green label?

It was so quiet that it scared me out of playing it again. Transferred it to cassette right then and there! 

This is the black label where impulse! is written in orange.  Do you know the one I mean?

12 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Coleman Hawkins - Reevaluation:  The impulse! Years.  

This is an absolutely flawless pressing from the 1980s.  The vinyl is dead quiet, the highs are smooth and rounded, and there is no distortion.

Mine is from the mid 70s when this series came out in the US but it sounds very good.

59 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Mine is from the mid 70s when this series came out in the US but it sounds very good.

I think I saw Cedar Walton in trio in the earlier 2000´s in Viena, but I´m sure it was not Billy Higgins on drums. I don´t remember who were on bass and drums. It was great, really great, though I would have liked to hear it with a great tenor player too, like all those records with Cliff Jordan or later tenorists who followed....

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I saw Cedar Walton in trio in the earlier 2000´s in Viena, but I´m sure it was not Billy Higgins on drums. I don´t remember who were on bass and drums. It was great, really great, though I would have liked to hear it with a great tenor player too, like all those records with Cliff Jordan or later tenorists who followed....

Last time I saw Cedar, in 1999, he still had Higgins on drums plus David Williams on bass. Sadly, I think Higgins was already not in the best of health so likely would be unfit for foreign tour in the 2000s. Back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was almost as if his second home was Ronnie Scott’s, with Cedar Walton and George Coleman.

OS05MzU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

41 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NTktNTY2NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Carter Jefferson - The Rise of Atlantis (Timeless, 1979)
Music on Vinyl reissue

Two recent additions to my collection.  :g

Still on my ‘pending’ list but working it’s way up.

On 3/11/2023 at 3:55 PM, mjazzg said:

I wondered who would be the first to post this, still not bought it yet as I have the single CD and the Mosaic but...

Have now capitulated with an order (‘Dance With Death’) so hopefully will post some thoughts and compare with the King edition over the next few days.

Some great Tone Poet issues coming up. ‘Slow Drag’, ‘Blue Spirits’. ‘Slow Drag’ will be an automatic buy.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MzctNDA5Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - He's Coming (Polydor, 1972)
Elemental reissue

and

NTktNTY2NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Carter Jefferson - The Rise of Atlantis (Timeless, 1979)
Music on Vinyl reissue

Two recent additions to my collection.  :g

Both on my 'shall I, shan't I' list

I have it saved on USB to listen in the car and so I did 2 days ago when I drove to go fishing.

I still remember how enthusiastic we young jazz buddies were when it came out. 
Those Spotlite LPs were treasures for people who wanted to hear Bop and Bird and so on. 

This and the Billy Eckstine record were favourites.

Howard McGhee proves that he is just a fantastic trumpet player. He is in top form here and I think he was underrated, in comparation to Diz and Fats and Miles. For me he is one of the best bop trumpet players. 

And I love Brew Moore. You see how he plays his Prez thing, he could keep it weather he played with bop stars like Bird or Miles or Howard or Bud, and in that afro cubop surroundings.

The Tracks "Cubop City" and "Tanga" are really fun. Just fine that chants and that rhythm, and it´s fun to hear how strange them their trumpet players and alto players sound completly different to what we jazzers are used to. And that bad tuned piano....
And Bird is on three tunes, maybe not the best Bird, but fine that he did it. 
"Reminiscing at Twilight" is just wonderful. WHO ROTE IT ? And are there other band that played it, does it also have lyrics ? How much would I like to play that live on an occasion, just between faster numbers......

Herunterladen.jpg

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Ok.

On the one hand, no thanks. 

On the other hand. Patti Austin is a REALLY good singer. REALLY good. 

Not that I remember much but I was at that concert actually... I remember Austin thanking the band for making "the greatest sacrifice" of temporarily not smoking on the bus