• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Pim said:

That’s a rare one! So how’s the music?

Side one is fairly full on with the horns playing loud and fast a lot of the time over and alongside the percussion. As with much of Graves's music there's such musicality and interest in his drummimg that it's almost the lead instrument. Side two is a contrast, Graves on piano and vocals, as Clifford points out brings a whole different perspective. The music's not as fast or as loud but intensely musical and focussed, a quiet storm.

great album, so pleased to have a copy, finally

25 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Great album.

Milford's piano and vocals are a really interesting addition to the music.

They most certainly are. i find him an endlessly fascinating musician in whichever context i come across him

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Enjoyable, predictably good sonics and some good playing from Manne, Preview and Mitchell.

tina-brooks-true-blue-cover-jp-1800-ljc.

King Japanese issue. 

Absolute masterpiece !

Oh yes those King LPs sound so incredibly good.

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

bobby-huthcherson-happenings-front-1800-

NY USA stereo

This one gets reissued in the Classic vinyl series. I am happy because I have a 75th anniversary that sounds meh and has serious paper sleeve scratches that are audible in the last two tracks

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Side one is fairly full on with the horns playing loud and fast a lot of the time over and alongside the percussion. As with much of Graves's music there's such musicality and interest in his drummimg that it's almost the lead instrument. Side two is a contrast, Graves on piano and vocals, as Clifford points out brings a whole different perspective. The music's not as fast or as loud but intensely musical and focussed, a quiet storm.

great album, so pleased to have a copy, finally

They most certainly are. i find him an endlessly fascinating musician in whichever context i come across him

Sounds interesting thanks!

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Enjoyable, predictably good sonics and some good playing from Manne, Preview and Mitchell.

tina-brooks-true-blue-cover-jp-1800-ljc.

King Japanese issue. 

Absolute masterpiece !

Thanks for the Info on that Contemporary LP.

As to Tina Brooks: agreed! Have it on CD. Tina Brooks is marvellous.

😁👍

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for the Info on that Contemporary LP.

As to Tina Brooks: agreed! Have it on CD. Tina Brooks is marvellous.

😁👍

I am spoilt for ‘True Blue’. Have it on Conn CD, Mosaic, Classic Records and Music Matters 2x45 as well as King GXK. No original though !

andrew-hill-judgement-cover-1900-ljc-1.j

NY USA mono. Lovely copy of a great LP. Elvin on fire !

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

The early Griffin album is very fine with Max Roach. 
But who is the other LP, is this Albert Ayler ?

Billy Harper.

14 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Milford Graves - Meditation Among Us [Kitty records, Japan 1977]

Today's arrival, waited a long time to find a half reasonably priced copy

You flagging this record has made me revisit it. I realise that I had completely confused this record with the Seikatsu Kojo Iinkai album with Doc Umezu, William Parker and Rashied Ali. This is such a killer. Abe (a lifelong obsession of mine) and Kondo playing second fiddle to Graves at his best. I can’t believe I had basically ignored it until now.

4 hours ago, Pim said:

Oh yes those King LPs sound so incredibly good.

This one gets reissued in the Classic vinyl series. I am happy because I have a 75th anniversary that sounds meh and has serious paper sleeve scratches that are audible in the last two tracks

Sounds interesting thanks!

That’s good - it has needed a decent reissue. Just too bad they didn’t put it out on Tone Poet to do the sleeve justice. 

Strangely enough, all originals of ‘Happenings’ that I have heard have been on the noisy side. Mono was worse than stereo in this respect. Having said that, the sonics are stupendous.

And talking of Tone Poet, I have ‘Slow Drag’, ‘Blue Spirit’ and ‘The Kicker’ arriving today, post permitting.  The latter seems to have been repressed. 😀

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

You flagging this record has made me revisit it. I realise that I had completely confused this record with the Seikatsu Kojo Iinkai album with Doc Umezu, William Parker and Rashied Ali. This is such a killer. Abe (a lifelong obsession of mine) and Kondo playing second fiddle to Graves at his best. I can’t believe I had basically ignored it until now.

Pleased to be of service. Now I need to check out the one you confused it with, I don't know it

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I am spoilt for ‘True Blue’. Have it on Conn CD, Mosaic, Classic Records and Music Matters 2x45 as well as King GXK. No original though

Honest J's have an original 'True Blue' for sale. It'll cost you £3000 to complete your set...

Edited by mjazzg