Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Somehow a very captivating cover. I would have wanted to be aboard that train. How's the music? And what about "Volume III"?

I'm playing this:

MzQtOTc3OS5qcGVn.jpeg

1966 US Stereo pressing.

NS00OTM5LmpwZWc.jpeg

My0yNjkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

I have this both in mono and stereo versions. The mono is cut louder and sounds almost as if it has some extra reverb. The stereo version is better if one wants to enjoy Bob Florence's nice arrangements for the sax section, one of his better efforts. All in all, a very enjoyable album which I have listened to many times over the years.

Is the second guy from the left on the back cover really Bill Perkins?

Yes the James Moody  vinyl has a 'catching' cover. The other vinyls you did present are all here too but the Sax Section only as Liberty reissue.

Bob Florence is  a favorite of mine. Have almost all his official recorded stuff plus some unissued tapes when he worked here at a german radio station on his visits  to Europe.

Stan Kenton front (Copy).jpg

Stan Kenton back (Copy).jpg

Liner Notes by Dr.rer.pol. Dietrich Schulz-Köhn (“Dr.Jazz”) - “a Kenton Fan”. In 1939 he received his PhD from the University of Königsberg (today Kaliningrad). Topic of his dissertation: “Die Schallplatte auf dem Weltmarkt / The record on the world market”, Reher-Verlag: Berlin 1940. He wrote a book about Stan Kenton (Jazz-Bücherei. Pegasus Verlag, Wetzlar 1961).

I met “Dr.Jazz” as pupil in the mid fifties in my home town. He toured with a portable gramophone and shellacs. I remember his recommandation of Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra. I had already bought a Charlie Parker EP though - see my cover photo!

10 hours ago, optatio said:

Stan Kenton front (Copy).jpg

Stan Kenton back (Copy).jpg

Liner Notes by Dr.rer.pol. Dietrich Schulz-Köhn (“Dr.Jazz”) - “a Kenton Fan”. In 1939 he received his PhD from the University of Königsberg (today Kaliningrad). Topic of his dissertation: “Die Schallplatte auf dem Weltmarkt / The record on the world market”, Reher-Verlag: Berlin 1940. He wrote a book about Stan Kenton (Jazz-Bücherei. Pegasus Verlag, Wetzlar 1961).

I met “Dr.Jazz” as pupil in the mid fifties in my home town. He toured with a portable gramophone and shellacs. I remember his recommandation of Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra. I had already bought a Charlie Parker EP though - see my cover photo!

Interesting comp. Have all that material on Stans own label Creative World. When he started his "Neophonic Thing" he lost me. He sounded best with the Bill Holman arrangements.

20 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Buddy Rich - Swingin' New Big Band - Pacific Jazz, MONO!!!

Stereo Jack's dollar sticker still in place!

The mono pressings of Pacific Jazz records are nowhere near as shrill as the stereo, similar to United Artists LPs from this period.

That's curious, I just had the opposite impression the other day. I listened to both mono and stereo versions of "Bud Shank & the Sax Section" and found the mono version hotter and more in-your-face. It was easier to hear the voicings of the sax section in stereo - which was a plus on this particular album - but I also found the stereo version softer and overall more pleasant-sounding.

But on this topic, I've found that some Pacific Jazz albums do sound shrill, while others are more balanced. Clare Fischer was usually awarded with good sound.

Edited by Daniel A