What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

11 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Das Erich Kleinschuster Sextett Live -- (Preiser)

hadn't dug this out in many years. Uneven, but some strong moments.

Is Fritz Pauer on piano ? He was my favourite pianist and my real mentor, no Pauer, no Gheorghe.....😀

Erich Kleinschuster was ok, I heard him do some really slippery trombone on a rapid version of "Move". 

He was mostly a teacher to. But if I ever would have wanted to get formal teaching I would have preferred to be taught by Fritz Pauer. I saw him almost every day to hang out and talk about music, he let me sit in when I was 18....dig that ! 

• Replies 56k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is Fritz Pauer on piano ? He was my favourite pianist and my real mentor, no Pauer, no Gheorghe.....😀

Erich Kleinschuster was ok, I heard him do some really slippery trombone on a rapid version of "Move". 

He was mostly a teacher to. But if I ever would have wanted to get formal teaching I would have preferred to be taught by Fritz Pauer. I saw him almost every day to hang out and talk about music, he let me sit in when I was 18....dig that ! 

Indeed he is, and certainly a highlight. Incredible that you knew him!

Today's selection, so far

Primary

Carlos Nino & Friends - Extra Presence [IARC, 2022]

Primary

Bitchin Bajas - Bajascillators [Drag City, 2022]

Ustad Bismillah Khan Shehnai EASD1341 LP Record Bollywood India-2259 - Picture 1 of 4

Ustad Bismillah Khan - Shehnai [His Masters Voice, India 1969]

PIERRE BOULEZ Le Marteau Sans Maître US LP - Picture 1 of 3

Pierre Booulez - Le Marteau Sans Maitre [Turnabout]

Various-Industrial & Avant-Garde Free Improvisation German Vinyl Box Set 2740105

Free Improvisation [Deutsche Grammophon, 1974]

LP1 New Phonic Art

14 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yes, Kleinschuster led the ORF big band in the 1970s/early 80s. I don't know Fehring at all.

Fehring was more a composer and became famous for other kinds of music than directly jazz I think. But it is true that he had founded the ORF Big Band in the early 70´s . 

But see, personalities like this were not let´s say "the cat´s you met around the corner in all them clubs, were you met the musicians every night". It´s possible that even Kleinschuster was not really such a cat you got easy in touch with, like let´s say Fritz Pauer. I saw Kleinschuster not so often in the clubs, but Pauer always was somewhere. 

IMG-4723.jpg

Again the Pepper box. Music that probably everyone around here already owned and enjoyed for long time but I had a hard time enjoying Pepper for a long time. But I had a similar thing with Jackie McLean who I now regard as one of my favorite sax players. Anyway this excellent Japanese 3LP contain three of the Village Vanguard nights. Excellent compilation in excellent sound. Enjoying it very much. 

IMG-4727.jpg

Another cool cat I enjoy very much. This would be a great selection for the Craft Contemporary series. Side A sometimes sounds Third Stream in my ears. Very interesting stuff with great playing by the whole band.