Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Me too. With Mtume's death and some other organizational complications, it seems to have stalled. But I remain hopeful and have the raw materials at the ready.

What do you mean with raw materials Clifford? You mean you are the owner of the master tapes? 😱

Mistletoe Magic - Holiday Jazz Improvisations - Various Artists (Palo Alto). This is such a good Jazz album it's almost unfortunate that it gets called a "Christmas album". Sure, the melodies are all well-trodden Christmas tunes but these artists take them well away from those melodies. A couple of times they even skew outside a tiny bit. If I had one complaint it would be the excessive use of reverb on some tracks/instruments. On the first track, Hino's trumpet sounds horrible. If reverb had a setting, it would've been set to 11 on this one. It sounded like he was playing in an airplane hanger. :)

Great bands here:

1) Elvin Jones Quintet - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Terumasa Hino, cornet; Dave Leibman, soprano sax; Kenny Kirkland, piano; George Mraz, bass; Elvin Jones, drums.

2) Free Flight - Silent Night/Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer

Jim Walker, flute; Milcho Leviev, keys; Jim Lacefield, bass; Ralph Humphrey, drums.

3) Larry Vuckovich Sextet – We Three Kings Of Orient Are

Tom Harrell, trumpet; Charles McPherson, alto sax; Jerome Richardson, soprano sax; Larry Vukovich, piano; Ray Drummond, bass; Eddie Moore, drums.

4) Full Faith & Credit Big Band - O Holy Night

Soloists - Jim Benham, flugelhorn; Dave Eshelman, trombone

5) Richie Cole Quintet - Sleigh Ride

Richie Cole & Art Pepper, alto sax; Roger Kellaway, piano; Bob Magnusson, bass; Billy Higgins, drums.

6) Meredith D'Ambrosio/Hank Jones Duo - The Christmas Waltz

Meredith D'Ambrosio, vocal; Hank Jones, piano.

7) Mal Waldron Quartet - The Christmas Song

Joe Henderson, tenor sax; Mal Waldrom, piano; David Friesen, bass; Billy Higgins, drums.

😎 Les DeMerle Sextet - Little Bebop Drummer Boy

Bobby Shew, flugelhorn; Don Menza, tenor sax & flute; Lanny Morgan, flute; Jack Wilson, piano; Bob Magnusson, bass; Les DeMerle, drums.

9) Full Faith & Credit Big Band - We Three Kings Of Orient Are

Soloist - Paul Robertson, alto sax

image.jpeg.852831cabb3863a8628980e3b57f0bb1.jpeg

Strange enough but I never ever had heard the Akyoshi-Tabackin band and it seams the only Akyoshi I ever heard is that piano solo on "I can´t get started" on the Mingus-Town Hall Concert, which sounds very similar to Lennie Tristano. 

It seems that Lew Tabackin as travelled much as a single with local rhythm sections in the last years, I somehow missed it. 

And I see so many postings about Eddie Palmieri, mostly from members who in general have very similar favourites like me, but before you posted that name, I haven´t even heard the name of him..... 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

And I see so many postings about Eddie Palmieri, mostly from members who in general have very similar favourites like me, but before you posted that name, I haven´t even heard the name of him..... 

He is primarily known as a salsa pianist, but he had jazz ability and aspirations and several of his classic records find him stretching out and exploring much more than salsa normally allows for. He is probably the first name that one would associate with salsa expanded to jazz level.

If you are interested, I'd say that the records with which to start are Superimposition and The Sun of Latin Music.