What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

John-Lewis-The-Golden-Strike-583065.jpg

bags_opus.jpg

Picked up three John Lewis London Atlantics - all mono, Golden Striker, The Wonderful World of Jazz and Improvised Meditations & Excursions. All seem pretty solid sessions , I can see why Golden Striker might out live it's initial appeal but it sounds nicely done to me. Also got the Milt Jackson UA- London illustrated above. These London LPs are so good IMO. At £6 each , same price as a CD, not bad.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting that all 3 of those John Lewis Atlantics have just come out over here on CD in the 1000 Yen series - I wonder if someone has just 'upgraded' and dumped their vinyl?

Always our gain.. :)

These three I'd not heard before but I passed up on a whole load more MJQ/ John Lewis/ Milt Jackson's from the same collection

archiecovok.jpg

Archie Shepp------ Blase/ Poem for Malcolm-------( BYG) Japan

Rather better sound I think than the Affinity edition of Blase. Poem for ...is new to me today.

kampen_lp_sp.jpg

KAMPEN - Bobby Bradford, Frode Gjerstad, Ingebrigt Haker-Flaten, Paal Nilssen-Love. No Busines LP. Recommended.

Agreed, although this is marked as OOP on the NB website.

Another good one from No Business (and this one is still in print ;) ):

furuya.jpg

THE MAJOR - Nobuyasu Furuya Quintet - No Business LP-- Furuya (ts, fl, cl), Rodrigo Pinheiro (p), Eduardo Lalo (tb), Hernani Faustino (b), Gabriel Ferrandini (d, perc). (essentially Furuya with the RED Trio with Lalo added on trombone). This is a good one!

What's that? New?

No. It's a vinyl only release on a label called Hardedge from 2005. It features HT playing a lot of solo Hubkaphone with Zooid passages interspersed - almost a concerto for Hubkaphone!

I've always wondered about this album, one of the few Threadgill's that i don't have. I can't imagine it being bad, but is it worth me going crazy over?

Miles Davis "kind of blue" (Columbia USA 6-eye stereo)

I also have a 6-eye mono, a Canadian 6-eye stereo, a Japanese Sony issue, the anniversary box set, the Columbia legacy CD, and the SACD of this title. A bit crazy but it's not that bad of an album ;)

But do you have the UK or French Fontanas, the Dutch Philips or the UK orange label? :crazy:

Interesting that all 3 of those John Lewis Atlantics have just come out over here on CD in the 1000 Yen series - I wonder if someone has just 'upgraded' and dumped their vinyl?

Always our gain.. :)

These three I'd not heard before but I passed up on a whole load more MJQ/ John Lewis/ Milt Jackson's from the same collection

I used to have a copy of The Golden Striker. I felt it was pleasant at first but didn't have enough substance for me. Not bad music, in any sense, and I'm sure other ears will find things to like.