Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0100303.jpg

Another LP plucked from the bargain bin. Orange label deep groove.

What's the source of this material. or, at least, of the Scott?

There is no information on the LP jacket but Discogs states:

"Recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York City; October 29, November 23 and 30, 1956." Don't know their source.

That's all I got. Maybe someone else has more.

The liner note says the session was the idea of bassist Trigger Alpert and lists Dick Hyman, Marty Paich and Tony Scott as arrangers.

On my LP, the arrangers as you give Bill are listed but nothing about the sessions being the idea of Trigger Alpert (although I read somewhere that they were). Do you have perhaps a UK version (was there such?). Mine is Jazzland JLP-11.

Amina Claudine Myers - Poems for Piano (The Piano Music of Marion Brown) [sweet Earth Records]

one of my favourite musicians interprets another favourite and it certainly doesn't disappoint

Never heard that one. She was awesome at the Winterjazzfest three weeks ago.

The Genius of Art Tatum No. 10 (Verve trumpet label), and Barney Kessel, Some Like It Hot (Contemporary stereo).

0100303.jpg

"Recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York City; October 29, November 23 and 30, 1956." Don't know their source.

The liner note says the session was the idea of bassist Trigger Alpert and lists Dick Hyman, Marty Paich and Tony Scott as arrangers.

On my LP, the arrangers as you give Bill are listed but nothing about the sessions being the idea of Trigger Alpert (although I read somewhere that they were). Do you have perhaps a UK version (was there such?). Mine is Jazzland JLP-11.

Mine is an OJC CD. At the end of the notes we have: "These notes originally appeared on the album liner for Trigger Happy! (RLP 12-225), a reissue of Jazzland 11." Mystery solved!

0100303.jpg

Mine is an OJC CD. At the end of the notes we have: "These notes originally appeared on the album liner for Trigger Happy! (RLP 12-225), a reissue of Jazzland 11." Mystery solved!

Perhaps the order is reversed? Would not the Trigger Alpert Riverside album (a very early Riverside, iirc) have preceded anything on Jazzland?

Trigger_Happy!.jpeg

Anyway, thanks for clearing up the origins of the material. I've never heard that one, didn't even realize Scott was on it. Have only known of Alpert through the Glenn Miller AAF band.

MI0003489989.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Interesting figure from the Chicago scene. I like this one.

Yeah, I go for Boykin whenever possible. Definitely. Don't have any vinyl though, when did this one come from?

Not relevant, but are he and Nicole Mitchell still married?

Boykin came to the last Vision Festival (so did Nicole Mitchell for that matter, they played in "Sonic Projections" together) and brought a couple of copies of this LP with him, so picked it up. Was new to me too.

Haven't heard Boykin in years. Need to seek out some more of his stuff.

Now:

Pygmy Unit - Signals from Earth - (self-released US LP)

Bay Area free improvisation featuring Jim Pepper and Darrell De Vore, pretty neat.

Been getting into some Jim Pepper recently. Picked up some CDs with him on them, posted those over in the listening thread. I like one in particular with Mal Waldron. I have a few LPs as well.

front.jpg

Anthony Braxton - B-X0 NO-47A - Actuel 15 - 1969

Cheesy BYG reissue, but serves its purpose. Braxton in Pre-Cardigan era.

Haven't heard Boykin in years. Need to seek out some more of his stuff.

Now:

Pygmy Unit - Signals from Earth - (self-released US LP)

Bay Area free improvisation featuring Jim Pepper and Darrell De Vore, pretty neat.

Been getting into some Jim Pepper recently. Picked up some CDs with him on them, posted those over in the listening thread. I like one in particular with Mal Waldron. I have a few LPs as well.

Yeah, he's great. I mean, as ubiquitous as it is, "Witchi-Tai-To" is an amazing piece of music.

Now, perhaps coincidentally as I was going through some ethnographic recordings today as well,

Music of the Sioux and the Navajo - (Ethnic Folkways Library)

Songs of the Pawnee and Northern Ute - (Library of Congress)

0101109.jpg

Among the long list of musicians participating in the recording, I find Seldon Powell, which really surprised me. Maybe it shouldn't? Just seemed odd to find him with the Braxton and Roscoe Mitchell crowd.

Depends on who contracted the date.

On the matter of skills, though, not surprising. That's some hardass music and it wasn't a working band. Financial realities would dictate that you have a few flyshit readers in there to keep the time needed thing between the lines.

Look who else is in there - the Bridgewater brothers, Bruce Johnstone, and Jon Faddis. They weren't their to contribute their "unique personal stylings", ya' know? They were there to read the parts and keep the session moving. Time is money, as they say, and at least as much in the studio as anywhere. EVERYBODY gets OT if OT happens, unless its a scab date.