Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Bechet Select, Hodges small groups, Johnny Smith. My ship came in. Music is excellent (so what else is new?), but I was bit disappointed in the bland, relatively insight-free Hodges and Smith booklets, especially when compared to Bob Wilber's fine notes for the Bechet (or for that matter, Stanley Dance's fine biographical essay from the first Hodges Mosaic, which is reprinted in this one).

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of Stitt on the go amongst the board membership at the moment.

Just spinning disk 1 with the Johnny Richards material. So far this set is a winner ! :tup

Arrived today? Good listening!

MG

Thanks ! So far through to disk 3 and there's some stunning playing on there. :tup

Just spinning disk 1 of the Joe Pass. Malcolm Addey has done another great mastering job and the music is great too. Two excellent sets !

I was bit disappointed in the bland, relatively insight-free Hodges and Smith booklets, especially when compared to Bob Wilber's fine notes for the Bechet (or for that matter, Stanley Dance's fine biographical essay from the first Hodges Mosaic, which is reprinted in this one).

I can't remember who wrote the Hodges notes, but I remember having the exact same reaction--surprised Mosaic went ahead & used them. I'm going to revisit all of that Hodges small-group material for radio next year, as it will be his centennary.

"bitty??"

The Oliver Nelson, but I cant say I am enjoying it much, one of my very few Mosaic disapointments. Just too bitty for me, I doubt if I will return to more than half of this box too often, too much gets in the way of the music, Kennedy speeches and I hate the Peter and the Wolf stuff! :beee:

"bitty??"

The Oliver Nelson, but I cant say I am enjoying it much, one of my very few Mosaic disapointments. Just too bitty for me, I doubt if I will return to more than half of this box too often, too much gets in the way of the music, Kennedy speeches and I hate the Peter and the Wolf stuff! :beee:

Yes, Tranemonk, plenty of great music on the first albums, but then stuff gets in the way!

I really like to listen in depth and over time, this is the first real exposure to Nelson except Abstract truth and the Dolphy OJCs, and I find too many distractions...also, and this could get me expelled from this site, I am not too crazy about the Jimmy Smith sides!!! :w

I shall return to the box over the weekend and try again, but really, I cant remeber the last time I bought a Mosaic and had the same reaction of being so underwhelmed. Different strokes I guess...On the other hand I also got the select of Tolliver in the same sending Whew!

Hmmm... I'm in the same boat as you... only a little Nelson exposure prior to this set... I've got but haven't had a chance to listen yet... I'm now even more curious... I think it's been getting pretty good reviews on this board...

"bitty??"

Yes, Tranemonk, plenty of great music on the first albums, but then stuff gets in the way!

I really like to listen in depth and over time, this is the first real exposure to Nelson except Abstract truth and the Dolphy OJCs, and I find too many distractions...also, and this could get me expelled from this site, I am not too crazy about the Jimmy Smith sides!!! :w

I shall return to the box over the weekend and try again, but really, I cant remeber the last time I bought a Mosaic and had the same reaction of being so underwhelmed. Different strokes I guess...On the other hand I also got the select of Tolliver in the same sending Whew!