Jaki Byard - The Last from Lennies

Chrome

I just got this last night and it's fantastic! It's my first disc with Byard as a leader, and also features Joe Farrell on saxes and flute, George Tucker on bass and Alan Dawson on drums.

I must have played the very first song, an alternate take of "Twelve," at least, well, twelve times.

It's almost as fascinating to hear the way Byard plays behind Farrell as it is to hear him (Byard) actually soloing.

Also, I must say that I probably would not have bought the disc if I hadn't read so many good things about Byard on this board ... so a general thanks to the Organissimo Bulletin Board for turning me on to a great artist.

This was an outstanding reissue that Fantasy released last year. If you like this, you should go after the "Live!" cd which is the first part of the live sessions the trio did. Actually, you can't go wrong with any of his OJC cds.

Edited by Stefan Wood

Got this one a couple of weeks ago, but I've only listened to it once. I had a fairly positive reaction to it, but it was on a Saturday afternoon and was not what I'd call a CLE (Concentrated Listening Event), i.e. lots of distractions. I need to give a a few more spins and pay closer attention.

Up over and out.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Another enthusiastic :tup for both cds recorded @ Lennie's on the Turnpike in April 1965 - LIVE! and THE LAST FROM LENNIE'S.

Listening to those sessions might inspire a segway to Booker Ervin's THE FREEDOM BOOK or THE SPACE BOOK or to Roland Kirk's RIP,RIG & PANIC.

I haven't checked out Lennies yet, due mostly in part to a hesitancy I have with Joe Farrell and the lukewarm reaction I have had to repeated listens of Sunshine of My Soul.

THE JAKI BYARD EXPERIENCE is where its at! Most everything else I've heard of his work I've loved, but I can't seem to get with Sunshine. Seems contrived to me. I don't really think that was his bag.

• 1 year later...

I haven't checked out Lennies yet, due mostly in part to a hesitancy I have with Joe Farrell and the lukewarm reaction I have had to repeated listens of Sunshine of My Soul.

I finally listened to Last from Lennie's this week. I think I like it a little better than the other volume (Quartet Live!) -- I don't really like Farrell's drumming. Anyway, nice disc.

THE JAKI BYARD EXPERIENCE is where its at!

This is a classic album.

Guy

Guest akanalog

"family man" on muse and 32 jazz too, i guess, is a great one, IMO. overlooked.

"sunshine of my soul" and "here's jaki" and "to them to us" are also great, though solo piano isn't my thing. i have "blues for smoke" also which i know is great, but again-the solo piano.

i found the lennie's stuff OK, not great. same with "the jaki byard experience" but that is probably because i am not a huge RRK fan.

i also found "hi-fly" disappointing based on the personnel. not anyone involveds best day.

Guest akanalog

a session i like with byard on it which is probably overlooked all the time is ken mcintyre's "home". also has reggie workman on bass-from 1975 or so. byard doesn't get to go wacky, but nice tunes.

I lucked into the opportunity to do liner notes for The Last From Lennie's because of a passing remark that Jaki Byard made during a conversation with me circa 1990. Regardless of its perceived flaws, including Farrell's drumming or his fluff on sax in the introduction to "Dolphy" (version 2), I think it adds an important chapter to Byard's legacy.

• 1 year later...

Got SOLO/STRINGS not too long ago as part of my Fantasy/OJC rampage, and it's an interesting record--two LPs on one CD, the first self-explanatory, the second a sextet affair with Ray Nance on violin, Ron Carter on cello, and George Benson on guitar (Richard Davis & Alan Dawson completing the rhythm section). "Spanish Tinge #2" from the solo record is borderline-beautiful, and the sextet does "Music to Watch Girls By," a Ray Nance blues shouter, an elongated "How High the Moon," and a weirdly compelling closer called "Cat's Cradle Conference Rag." Probably not the best gateway CD for somebody curious about Jaki, but as a fan I knew I'd want to listen to it again after hearing it for the first time.

I like Jaki all ways - ever hear the Don Ellis session on Candid? also, there's an incredible solo record on Prestige that has never made it to CD, I think - I heard Jaki play solo quite a few times and it was always an adventure, but he was also a great group player. A complicated guy with an amazing sense of humor, as well - he was also one of the most honest people I ever met and said some very interesting things (I know I've quoted this before - but I said to him once "why is Don Ellis so under-appreciated?" Jaki's answer: "because he's white.")

I did try to pump him on a few occasions about Eric Dolphy - all he said was "he practiced all the time and he was a nut."