IKE QUEBEC

jazzhound

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one disc with IQ as a leader, but I can't imagine it gets too much better than "Easy Living" with Ike and:

Sonny Clark - Piano

Stanley Turrentine - Sax (Tenor)

Art Blakey - Drums

Bennie Green - Trombone

Milt Hinton - Bass

I wouldn't have said this ten years ago but now. . . Soul Samba!

:tup

I guess it's the same here (except for five instead of ten years).

The 45 sessions are very nice, too!

But then, all of his recordings I've heard (I never heard "Heavy Soul" and "Congo Lament") are at least enjoyable.

brownie, dream on! That would have been beautiful! :wub:

ubu

B000025ADW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I agree with Lon! This is by far my favorite album of Ike's as a leader.

As far as single performances, I'll take that breathtaking tenor/bass duet of Nature Boy from Heavy Soul...GORGEOUS!

But, then again, I like ALL of Ike's stuff...easily one of my favorites and a player that I never tire of hearing.

• 2 years later...

B000025ADW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I agree with Lon! This is by far my favorite album of Ike's as a leader.

As far as single performances, I'll take that breathtaking tenor/bass duet of Nature Boy from Heavy Soul...GORGEOUS!

But, then again, I like ALL of Ike's stuff...easily one of my favorites and a player that I never tire of hearing.

I listened to this one for the first time in a while today. Very nice album.

I need more Quebec in my collection, I suppose.

Guy

• 5 years later...

Silly question... (guess I know the answer for me is "yes") - do I need the "Easy Living" CD when I have the Bennie Green Mosaic Select? There are three quartet tunes from the session not on the Select, "I've Got a Crush on You", "Easy Living" and "Nancy (with the Laughing Face)". I've got the later on the "Ballads" compilation (which made a little bit of sense before the 45 Sessions came out again in the Conn series, nowadays I'm holding on to it for that one track).

Blue and Sentimental is my favourite.

Of course, I also like "Soul Samba", but it´s a record that makes me sad, Ike Quebec was very ill, it was at the very end of his career and you can hear it on the record.

Blue and Sentimental is just beautiful.

Gee, just found out that "From Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs" has yet another two tracks... from a three-track (?) 1959 session, likely with the same band as on the first of the 45 sessions... someone ought to pull together all those stray tracks (including those w/Green and those on the Lost Sessions disc) - that would make a lovely compilation!

Why weren't those two tracks ("Uptight" and "Cry Me a River") added to the Conn reissue of "The Incomplete (it's official!) Blue Note 45 Sessions"?