New Miles box: Seven Steps To Heaven

Now they can rerelease all this stuff in decent packaging that doesn't destroy the damned discs, and this time I'll buy it. Not to be "Mr. Contrarian", but I hate this series. I picked up the Bitches Brew set and regret it to this day. (Keep in mind I'm knocking the packaging, NOT the music!)

Second that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a great set! Looking forward to it very much. I have always loved the Valentine/Four&More date - anyone know if there's going to be additional material from that concert? The liners in the CD mention other tunes (such as Autumn Leaves) that didn't make it on the albums.

The Antibes stuff I've heard is great, indeed. Good news to know there's even more of it to come!

And the Berlin concert! Wow, this must be one of my favourite Miles albums, perfect sound and atmosphere on that recording! You could hear a feather fall on the floor, it seems...

ubu

Two tracks from the "Someday my prince will come" album feature Trane and are in the Miles & Trane box:

1. Someday My Prince Will Come

5. Teo

That's almost half of the album (18:30)

So the Hank Mobley sans Coltrane cuts will not be boxed. Once again he gets short shrift.

Five additional sides (All Blues/Stella By Starlight/Seven Steps to Heaven/If I Were A Bell/So What) from the Antibes-Juan Les Pins concert of July 1963 have already been issued on the bootleg JMY CD 'Cote Blues'. Sound was pretty good.

But the sound on the original official release on French CBS 'Miles A Antibes' was better than the sound of the US original release 'Miles Davis in Europe'. Hope the new box will have the better sound and will even improve on that.

The concert includes some of the better George Coleman playing ever!

Lohmann's Davis discography lists the unissued takes as:

Apr 17,1963 Seven Steps to Heaven -Takes 3,5

July 27,1963 Bye-Bye Blackbird 16:45,Theme 5:50

Sept 25,1964 Stella by Starlight 12:35

July 26,1963 All Blues 10:30,My Funny Valentine 9:15,Joshua/Theme 13:50

were reported probably radio broadcasted and hence probably recorded but not issued. George Coleman's solos were edited on two selections and entirely eliminated on a third

Two tracks from the "Someday my prince will come" album feature Trane and are in the Miles & Trane box:

5. Teo

So the Hank Mobley sans Coltrane cuts will not be boxed. Once again he gets short shrift.

Isn't all of the Mile+Mobley stuff currently in print now that the Blackhawk stuff has been released? I'm not sure why box sets are such a big deal for Hank's legacy.

Guy

Brownie, the latest Sony DSD remastered cd from Japan of "Miles in Europe" sounds fantastic, so potentially we'll have wonderful sound in the box set!

Tony Williams' drumming at this Festival appearance has been an inspiration ever since it was first heard many moons ago!

5. Teo

Isn't all of the Mile+Mobley stuff currently in print now that the Blackhawk stuff has been released? I'm not sure why box sets are such a big deal for Hank's legacy.

Guy

Of course you're right. I was just pointing out that these are the only studio cuts from a decade and half of Mile's Columbia recordings that aren't getting the royal treatment. At least Mobley's solos have now now been re-inserted into the recordings.

So the Hank Mobley sans Coltrane cuts  will not be boxed. Once again he gets short shrift.

Of course you're right. I was just pointing out that these are the only studio cuts from a decade and half of Mile's Columbia recordings that aren't getting the royal treatment. At least Mobley's solos have now now been re-inserted into the recordings.

I think that's the most important aspect of this!

It seems to me Michael Cuscuna and Columbia want each box set to have some musical focus beyond the personnel involved, and the sessions with Mobley are somewhat diverse: A 2/3 studio album with a guest saxophonist, a live recording of the quintet with lengthy solos and a live recording with the Gil Evans orchestra added in not-so-brilliant sound.

Besides, Mobley will never have the reputation and sales potential of a Coltrane, and that's a shame, and Miles is partly to blame for this. And Teo Macero - we probably would have viewed his contributions differently if his solos weren't edited on the initial releases.

Good news & bad news from this months Jazzwise magazine

BAD NEWS

7 steps box

Originally planned for this autumn , but now moved to 2005.

GOOD NEWS

Isle of Wight Festival 1970 DVD to be released in October called

Miles Electric: A different Kind Of Blue

BAD NEWS

7 steps box

GOOD NEWS

Interesting. I'll buy that DVD.

BAD NEWS

7 steps box

GOOD NEWS

damn, this sucks. I'd much, much rather have the CDs than a DVD. I watch a DVD once then I'm done with it

From the brilliant Miles Ahead website (http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/disco.asp?id=SevenStepsCD)

"Fall 2004: Columbia Legacy will release the final boxed set in their Miles Davis reissue series sometime in the fall of 2004. Entitled Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia recordings of Miles Davis, 1963-1964 (C7K 90840), the set will include music from Seven Steps to Heaven, My Funny Valentine, Four and More, Miles Davis in Europe, Miles in Tokyo, and Miles in Berlin, in some cases with additional material not included in previous releases. There will be a corresponding Mosaic LP version as well. One great bonus: the February 1964 Lincoln Center concerts complete and in performance order."

Miles Ahead Discography: Seven Steps: Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-1964

Title: Seven Steps: Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-1964

Label: Columbia Legacy C7K-90840

Number of Tracks: 50

Details: April 16, 1963; April 17, 1963; May 14, 1963; July 27, 1963; February 12, 1964; July 14, 1964; September 25, 1964

NB: Only tracks on which Davis is present (426:09) are displayed below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disc 1

Joshua (V. Feldman) [take 4/6] Apr 16, 1963 5:24

I Fall in Love Too Easily (S. Cahn-J. Styne) [take 2] Apr 16, 1963 6:43

Baby, Won't You Please Come Home? (C. Warfield-C. Williams) [take 1] Apr 16, 1963 8:27

So Near, So Far (T. Crombie-B. Green) [take 9] Apr 16, 1963 5:11

Basin Street Blues (S. Williams) [take 1] Apr 16, 1963 10:26

Seven Steps to Heaven (V. Feldman-M. Davis) [take 3] Apr 17, 1963 5:27

Seven Steps to Heaven (V. Feldman-M. Davis) [take 5] Apr 17, 1963 6:10

Summer Night (A. Dubin-H. Warren) [take 2] Apr 17, 1963 6:02

Disc 2

Seven Steps to Heaven (V. Feldman-M. Davis) [rehearsal take] May 14, 1963 6:56

Seven Steps to Heaven (V. Feldman-M. Davis) [take 3] May 14, 1963 6:21

So Near, So Far (T. Crombie-B. Green) [take 1] May 14, 1963 6:56

Joshua (V. Feldman) [take 3] May 14, 1963 6:58

Introduction [Andre Francis] Jul 27, 1963 0:59

Autumn Leaves (J. Prevert-J. Mercer-J. Kosma) Jul 27, 1963 13:54

Milestones (M. Davis) Jul 27, 1963 9:17

I Thought About You (J. Mercer-J. Van Heusen) Jul 27, 1963 11:47

Disc 3

Joshua (V. Feldman) Jul 27, 1963 11:36

All of You (C. Porter) Jul 27, 1963 15:54

Walkin' (R. Carpenter) Jul 27, 1963 16:14

By Bye Blackbird Jul 27, 1963 16:46

The Theme (M. Davis) Jul 27, 1963 6:04

Disc 4

Introduction [Mort Fega] Feb 12, 1964 2:48

Autum Leaves Feb 12, 1964 10:39

So What (M. Davis) Feb 12, 1964 9:11

Stella by Starlight (N. Washington-V. Young) Feb 12, 1964 12:53

Walkin' (R. Carpenter) Feb 12, 1964 8:07

All of You (C. Porter) Feb 12, 1964 14:40

The Theme (M. Davis) [with announcement] Feb 12, 1964 1:41

Disc 5

Introduction [billy Taylor] Feb 12, 1964 0:44

All Blues (M. Davis) Feb 12, 1964 8:52

My Funny Valentine (R. Rodgers-L. Hart) Feb 12, 1964 14:54

Joshua (V. Feldman) Feb 12, 1964 9:32

I Thought About You (J. Mercer-J. Van Heusen) Feb 12, 1964 11:14

Four (M. Davis) Feb 12, 1964 6:16

Seven Steps to Heaven (V. Feldman-M. Davis) Feb 12, 1964 7:44

There is No Greater Love (M. Symes-I. Jones) Feb 12, 1964 10:22

The Theme (M. Davis) [with announcement] Feb 12, 1964 1:44

Disc 6

Introduction [Teruo Isono] Jul 14, 1964 1:10

If I Were a Bell (F. Loesser) Jul 14, 1964 10:14

My Funny Valentine (R. Rodgers-L. Hart) Jul 14, 1964 12:45

So What (M. Davis) Jul 14, 1964 8:02

Walkin' (R. Carpenter) Jul 14, 1964 9:11

All of You (C. Porter) Jul 14, 1964 11:18

The Theme (M. Davis) [with closing announcement] Jul 14, 1964 1:19

Disc 7

Milestones (M. Davis) Sep 25, 1964 8:57

Autumn Leaves (J. Prevert-J. Mercer-J. Kosma) Sep 25, 1964 12:37

So What (M. Davis) Sep 25, 1964 10:27

Stella by Starlight (N. Washington-V. Young) Sep 25, 1964 12:53

Walkin' (R. Carpenter) Sep 25, 1964 10:39

The Theme (M. Davis) Sep 25, 1964 1:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Musicians:

April 16, 1963: Miles Davis (tpt) George Coleman (ts) Victor Feldman (p) Ron Carter (B) Frank Butler (d)

April 17, 1963: Miles Davis (tpt) George Coleman (ts) Victor Feldman (p) Ron Carter (B) Frank Butler (d)

May 14, 1963: Miles Davis (tpt) George Coleman (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Ron Carter (B) Tony Williams (d)

July 27, 1963: Miles Davis (tpt) George Coleman (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Ron Carter (B) Tony Williams (d)

February 12, 1964: Miles Davis (tpt) George Coleman (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Ron Carter (B) Tony Williams (d) Mort Fega (ann) Billy Taylor (ann)

July 14, 1964: Miles Davis (tpt) Sam Rivers (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Ron Carter (B) Tony Williams (d) Teruo Isono (ann)

September 25, 1964: Miles Davis (tpt) Wayne Shorter (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Ron Carter (B) Tony Williams (d)

BAD NEWS

7 steps box

GOOD NEWS

2005? Strange, I just got some press info which still lists the 9/28 date. In any case, here's my summary of the release:

Miles Davis - Seven Steps: Complete The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis, 1963-64 - 7 CDs (Columbia) Sept 28

-- includes material from the following albums:

-- Seven Steps to Heaven (studio, Apr-May 1963), with George Coleman (tenor sax), Ron Carter (bass) and

either Victor Feldman (piano) & Frank Butler (drums) or Herbie Hancock (piano) & Tony Williams (drums);

includes previously unreleased alternate takes of "Joshua" and two of "Seven Steps" with Feldman

and a rehearsal take of "Seven Steps" with Hancock

-- Miles in Europe (Antibes, 27Jul1963), continuing w/ Coleman/Herbie Hancock/Carter/Tony Williams,

with the previously unissued tunes "Bye Bye Blackbird" (16'47) & "Theme" (6'06),

plus the unedited versions of "Autumn Leaves" (13'55), "Joshua" (11'36) and "All of You" (16'54)

-- the complete Philharmonic Hall concert (12Feb1964), with both sets complete and in performance order

(originally issued out-of-sequence as My Funny Valentine and Four & More);

includes previously unissued tune "Autumn Leaves" (10'40), plus introductions by Mort Fega & Billy Taylor

-- Miles in Tokyo (14Jul1964), with Sam Rivers on tenor sax

-- Miles in Berlin (25Sep1964), with Wayne Shorter on tenor sax;

includes a previously unissued version of "Stella by Starlight" (12'54)

-- in all, set includes over an hour of previously unreleased music

(You can see the multi-color listing over at Jazzmatazz.)

Edited by alankin

any word yet on the packaging? Will it be like the first versions of the other sets, with the nice metal spine, etc, or will it be the cheaper longbox form? I'm hoping for the first option. Love that Bitches Brew packaging!!! (seriously)

I can't wait to hear some of this music (haven't heard the Tokyo, Antibes or Berlin recordings), but think I'll wait on this one until:

(A) The individual albums come out, assuming that they comprise the entirety of the material on the box, or...

(B) It's available for a budget price on BMG.

I guess this means you guys get to torture me for 6 months about how great this music sounds... :)

Guy

I can't wait to hear some of this music (haven't heard the Tokyo, Antibes or Berlin recordings), but think I'll wait on this one until:

(A) The individual albums come out, assuming that they comprise the entirety of the material on the box, or...

(B) It's available for a budget price on BMG.

I guess this means you guys get to torture me for 6 months about how great this music sounds... :)

Guy

Oh yeah, it sounds great! :lol:

I just listened to "Miles in Berlin," which I hadn't heard before. Great Wayne Shorter playing...