Verve Vaults: OOP Albums

medjuck

I'm just about convinced!

I agree - this is a pretty innovative use of vault material. I'd prefer "real" CDs, but this'll have to do until the real thing comes along.

What do y'all think has gotten into Verve anyway? Not too long ago, they weren't doing shit, now they're all over the place putting stuff out in all kinds of ways. And

Maybe Mark got a promotion...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this one of those things that you have to have an mp3 or IPOD or could I just download it to my computer and then make a disc from that that I could play on a cd player? Also is the software downloadable from Apple? This from the technologically unsophisticated :g

Is this one of those things that you have to have an mp3 or IPOD or could I just download it to my computer and then make a disc from that that I could play on a cd player? Also is the software downloadable from Apple? This from the technologically unsophisticated :g

Provided your computer can play and burn discs you don't need any other player. I presume that i-Tunes software can be downloaded from the Apple site.

Brad, check their website. It provides information for everybody, including the technologically unsophisticated :)

www.itunes.com

You will need to install the itunes software.

You can play the downloaded music on your Mac/PC, an iPod player (other brands don't support the AAC file format) or burn them onto normal audio CDs.

iTunes finally started in Europe this summer, but is not available in every country because of copyright reasons. Apple needs distribution agreements with every national copyright society (which represents composers), in addition to the agreements with the artists/labels.

iTunes is apparently not yet available in Switzerland (I can't check iTunes.com here at my office, where music download sites are blocked):

Legale Onlinemusik bleibt rar

Strangely, iTunes Europe is located in Luxembourg, but people from Luxembourg can't buy music from iTunes :wacko:

iTunes finally started in Europe this summer, but is not available in every country because of copyright reasons. Apple needs distribution agreements with every national copyright society (which represents composers), in addition to the agreements with the artists/labels.

iTunes is apparently not yet available in Switzerland (I can't check iTunes.com here at my office, where music download sites are blocked):

Legale Onlinemusik bleibt rar

Strangely, iTunes Europe is located in Luxembourg, but people from Luxembourg can't buy music from iTunes :wacko:

Claude, I read that article (that's one of the two good daily papers of Switzerland, the "Tages-Anzeiger").

So our only chance is to ask for a burn from some nice US fellows?

ubu :(

Extra tracks added to this.

ANITA O'DAY & THE THREE SOUNDS

1. When The World Was Young

2. Someday My Prince Will Come

3. All Too Soon

4. My Heart Stood Still

5. My Ship

6. Leave It To Me

7. Whisper Not

8. Blues By Five

9. In Other Words

10. You And The Night And The Music

11. Let Me Off Uptown

12. My Heart Stood Still

13. Leave It To Me

14. Blues By Five

What do you mean, extra tracks? I thought they were putting out original vinyl transfers? Or are they digging into the vaults for unissued material?

and most importantly, if there are unissued tracks, are they with Anita or are they instrumentals?

Brad, check their website. It provides information for everybody, including the technologically unsophisticated :)

www.itunes.com

You will need to install the itunes software.

You can play the downloaded music on your Mac/PC, an iPod player (other brands don't support the AAC file format) or burn them onto normal audio CDs.

Claude,

Thanks. Went ahead and did that so I'm rarin' to go. Was about to download the Buddy De Franco when I noticed it was a lot of strings. Bummer. Now, there's a whole another way for me to spend money :g

Many of those albums were available on CD before, so they just need to rip the tracks form the CD and make they available for download.

Which of the albums have never been available on CD?

I believe that for the Anita O'Day LP, a couple of cuts with the Sounds appeared on a comp. and the O'Day tracks appeared on the Mosaic, but, and perhaps this isn't common knowledge, at least half of the original LP was a regular Sounds record, just the trio (with Roy Eldredge sitting in on one or maybe two tunes).

So, that's why I wonder about "extra" tracks.

One of the side benefits of downloading Itunes is that they have 19 different jazz stations you can listen to. I'm listening to a station called the Spirit of Jazz and is described as "in the style of S.F. legendary KJAZ." I'm not familiar with KJAZ but this is a mighty fine station.

• 1 year later...

Even though there is a French iTunes store, apparently these are not available (or the one I tried, anyway) in France. :angry:

I've had that Hawkins/Eldridge at the Opera House on vinyl for ages... one of my first jazz records. Couldn't remember seeing it on CD anywhere, so I was ecstatic when I saw it for download. Ah well, probably didn't need to spend the 10 bucks, anyway.

I don't see why they can't give access to jpegs of the covers and notes along with the download. I guess I'd rather hunt down the oop cds, but it's still nice to have the stuff available. I almost pulled the trigger on the (apparently) oop Red Norvo (Mingus, Farlow) Trio album, but found a used copy of the cd for $7 used with a bit of searching.

Even though there is a French iTunes store, apparently these are not available (or the one I tried, anyway) in France.  :angry:

I've had that Hawkins/Eldridge at the Opera House on vinyl for ages... one of my first jazz records.  Couldn't remember seeing it on CD anywhere, so I was ecstatic when I saw it for download.  Ah well, probably didn't need to spend the 10 bucks, anyway.

US Verve reissued it in 1994. Total number of tracks was 12 with a playing time of 73:46. Is this what they offer?

FWIW, I find $10 downloads without "artwork and liners" to be a rip, unless the president of Universal is at the control panel.