Live Charlie Parker ...

Eric

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to assume nobody has an opinion about the one(s) that had me curious.

James, I don't know that particular compilation, but those airchecks are AWESOME.

I have the US box (the one in your first link). It's three CDs of broadcasts from the Royal Roost plus on the fourth you get the Carnegie set by Dizzy/Bird (alson on a great Blue Note CD that pairs it with Dizzy's big band set from the same concert), and parts of that Freeman date (a longer version of which is out - I have an Ember disc that claims to have the complete session, but I guess for many what's on the 4CD set will be good enough). As Lon says, the Roost broadcasts are fantastic! A bit less than a disc's worth is with Miles, then you get plenty of fine Kenny Dorham!

Is there any additional music on the Japanese version, or just more hip-o-lingo? I think there's quite some Sid on the US version already, no need for more... but if there's more music, things might look different!

I quickly went through the track listing the other day, and it seems to the same, except for the Sid intros and voice overs. A reviewer over at amazon says an entire date with Navarro and Bud Powell is also "missing," but I can't tell if he's comparing the two compilations I highlighted or is referencing some other compilation. The tracks look the same to me, except for Sid.

Is there any additional music on the Japanese version, or just more hip-o-lingo? I think there's quite some Sid on the US version already, no need for more... but if there's more music, things might look different!

I quickly went through the track listing the other day, and it seems to the same, except for the Sid intros and voice overs. A reviewer over at amazon says an entire date with Navarro and Bud Powell is also "missing," but I can't tell if he's comparing the two compilations I highlighted or is referencing some other compilation. The tracks look the same to me, except for Sid.

The date with Navarro and Powell does not come from the Royal Roost broadcasts. It was a Birdland concert that was recorded later (1950 in most discographies). Therefore, it is usually not included in the Royal Roost (i.e. live Savoy) boxes. There were a number of bootlegs in the past that mixed up tracks from the Royal Roost sessions and the Birdland concert together, which is probably the source of confusion for this reviewer.

The date with Navarro and Powell does not come from the Royal Roost broadcasts. It was a Birdland concert that was recorded later (1950 in most discographies). Therefore, it is usually not included in the Royal Roost (i.e. live Savoy) boxes. There were a number of bootlegs in the past that mixed up tracks from the Royal Roost sessions and the Birdland concert together, which is probably the source of confusion for this reviewer.

Thank you for clearing that up. :tup

one of the best things bird ever recorded was a 20 min. version of 'lover come back to me' with a front line of bird and tony scott at cafe society afternoon sunday set i believe, but ive seen discprebatnces on the guitar player who he is in discogrphies but im pretty sure its my main man mundell lowe

one of the best things bird ever recorded was a 20 min. version of 'lover come back to me' with a front line of bird and tony scott at cafe society afternoon sunday set i believe, but ive seen discprebatnces on the guitar player who he is in discogrphies but im pretty sure its my main man mundell lowe

Oh yeah, classic, beautiful Bird :tup:tup:tup ... I've heard it said Lowe or Chuck Wayne, but listening to Lowe on *Bird is Free*, to my ears it doesn't seem to be him. On *Free* Lowe has a very sure attack and is pretty secure as he goes through the changes. The guitarist on *Lover* is more hesitant attackwise and seems a bit unsure as to where he is at times ...

Q

The Japanese edition has crystal clear sound (maybe too much so) and includes all the announcements. . . same amount of music.

That's a nice set there!

There are more Embers releases covering later years (two double disc sets, though one of them is just one concert and quite a bit less than 80 minute of music, weirdly), and the one disc covering all there seems to be from the live show with George Freeman (I mentioned that before, much of it you'll have on the Savoy live set).

Then there's a cheap "World of Charlie Parker" disc that I got but there's no info about the music therein, and I guess it's just some dumb compilation... (it seems to be a straight reissue of an old LP).

I never quite figured out Embers... they're history now I believe.

Talking of Ember Records releases, I just picked up *Charlie Parker at the Open Door*, which is a 2 cd set from one of Chan's tapes. IMO this is fine Bird from July '53, with reasonably good sound for a live recording from the period, although it's basically only Bird, as other soloists have been deleted, (which may bug some people) ...

Personel is Bird/ Benny Harris/ Haig/ Mingus/ AT. Bud gets a mention but doesn't seem to play...

Still, as I said, it's fine, later Bird ... has it ever been issued in the States?

Q

curious if anyone has listened to the ESP 4 disc set Bird in Time - conveniently the publicity does not mention that it has lifted a lot of this early stuff from Stash (the early KC sessions, the Redcross sessions); I was wondering if the sound is ok (meaning compared to the original CD issues) or if they've botched it -

Talking of Ember Records releases, I just picked up *Charlie Parker at the Open Door*, which is a 2 cd set from one of Chan's tapes. IMO this is fine Bird from July '53, with reasonably good sound for a live recording from the period, although it's basically only Bird, as other soloists have been deleted, (which may bug some people) ...

Personel is Bird/ Benny Harris/ Haig/ Mingus/ AT. Bud gets a mention but doesn't seem to play...

Still, as I said, it's fine, later Bird ... has it ever been issued in the States?

Q

Yes, that's one of these 2CD sets - isn't this the one that's below 80 minutes? I think it is.

The second of the 2CD set is called "At Café Downtown Society and Birdland"

214CW5K5EDL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

Q

Yes, that's one of these 2CD sets - isn't this the one that's below 80 minutes? I think it is.

The second of the 2CD set is called "At Café Downtown Society and Birdland"

214CW5K5EDL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

Yes, that's it. Now that you mention it, the time for *Open Door* is just over an hour, although the cover says "Duration 130.14".

Still, it's good music. Notes are by Bird nut Robert Bregman.

Q

curious if anyone has listened to the ESP 4 disc set Bird in Time - conveniently the publicity does not mention that it has lifted a lot of this early stuff from Stash (the early KC sessions, the Redcross sessions); I was wondering if the sound is ok (meaning compared to the original CD issues) or if they've botched it -

I haven't heard this ESP set, but I have heard their 2007 historical releases, the extensive Billie Holiday set, and the Lester Young cd. The sound on these is excellent. Better than on previous issues of the material I have had. By a solid margin.

• 2 weeks later...

Bird with McShann is a vital aspect to bird in concert: and i doubt u guys have heard about thsi one yet but bird on tenor (mcshann era) is also a vital bird-related document. i

I assume you are referring to the material released on The Complete Birth of the Bebop, on the Stash label.

yes the cd, that too, but originally i believe i heard it on reel-to-reel: a dub of the orig. acetate// see acetates aren't designed to be played one billion times, you cant just chill with them- so this was 2nd generation; the 1st dub they did, then later through the years it lingered and i guess its the 90s or somethin or 80s this stash was conglomerated....actually i wouldn't be suprised if stormin' norman was behind the whole thing, the $ prob. isnt goin to more than a few people, wouldnt you think?