Live Charlie Parker ...

Eric

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought that Open Door material awhile ago and found it very hard to listen to. It seemed even worse to me than the Benedetti Mosaic, which I found listenable and pretty enjoyable.

I have the Philology series in toto and there is some great stuff on there. I didn't find the sound that bad. Probably my favorite live session that comes to mind is the material from the Finale Club in LA which is on Volume 18 (848).

Of the Jay McShann period, there's that Early Bird although I think Spotlite put that out and has the McShann Orchestra from 1940 in Wichita, Kansas and in 1943 from NY plus 1 cut (but it's Cherokee!) from Clark Monroe's in 1941. There's also another cd from Decca (Grp) called Blues from Kansas City. That one shouldn't be too hard to get. A lot of this features an altoist, now largely unknown named John Jackson, who sounded a lot like Bird. In fact some of the credits from this period sometimes say Charlie Parker or John Jackson, that's how close they sounded.

Edited by Brad

Another Birdland date 3/31/51 with Bird, Diz, Bud, Potter & Haynes. I first had this on a Saga lp, then a Columbia lp and it must be out 15 ways now.

Don't ask when it will be available but, Uptown will has reached an agreement with Lorraine Gillespie to issue a May 1945 Town Hall concert with Diz, Bird, Al Haig, Curly Russell, Max Roach with guest appearances by Don Byas and Sid Catlett. The program is astounding, and it is very well recorded. Both Town Hall and Carnegie provided professional recording services, and this comes from the original acetates recorded at the concert This comes from the time between the Diz/Bird Guilds and the KoKo session. I think it is the earliest recording of Max with Bird.

My lord!!!! eek2.gif

I had no idea that those tapes existed.

You just gotta give it to us!!!!!!!

fishead.gif

Brad (or others),

Any other recommendations on Philology?  I see Cadence has a bunch of them ...

Philology 80 is one of my favorites. It contains the Bird with the Kenton band sides and Bird being interviewed by Paul Desmond (both mentioned previously by ghost of miles).

There are quite a number of Philology cds. I don't have too many because I have a lot of the material on other cds and lps, but there are others with Bird recordings well worth having and hearing. 5/18 has 2 fine tunes recorded in Lennie Tristano's studio with Bird, Tristano, and Kenny Clarke drumming on a phone book (not surprising that Lennie didn't have a drum set in his studio). 849 has four Clyde Bernhardt jump blues sides with Jay McShann and Bird which were on broken glass based acetates and were repaired and made listenable. (These are probably more of interest to Bird fans who have almost everything else.) 853 has the 1951 concert with Woody Herman's Herd, which I like, but not as much as the Kenton sides.

Much of what's on Philology has been reissued elsewhere, so collectors with a lot of Bird recordings have to be wary of duplication, but newer collectors can find a lot of great music there.

While I'm here, I'd like to mention Sweden 1950 - Complete Bird in Sweden (Definitive) which contains some fine live Bird and a great version of "Body and Soul". Storyville has issued most, if not all, of this material on cd, and Spotlite has issued it on 2 lps (long out of print) if you have an aversion to Definitive's reissue practices.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

my rec would be the "bird's eyes" series, volumes 1 through 1 million. from what ive heard phil woods and chan ran, or provided source tapes for, or had some connection to the label...(is this correct?)

i dont have all of them in fact i feel bad i never bought any way back when tower stocked them all- but i have a few and they are really amazing, esp the one with the gene roland big band with bird and don lanphere

Very strange. I do recall posting something on this thread in the past, but post 32 was NOT made by me.

Edited: Now, the current post 32 WAS made by me. Earlier, for some reason, Paul Secor's post 34 was under my name on 32. :)

Edited by John L

bump.

Considering "Complete Royal Roost Live: Recordings on Savoy"

Thoughts?

That's this one, not this one.

... or maybe visa versa. I could do without the 50-odd Symphony Sid tracks. :blink:

I have the 2nd one. It's a nice set with some variety at trumpet as you get Davis, Dorham and Gillespie, plus all-star jams and a even a Christmas song.

Glad this thread popped up as I just have this and the Uptown and was looking for ideas.

I preordered that from ESP but haven't received it. . . I notice it's been available from other retailers for a spell. . . .Looks as if it is going to contain the material in the four ESP lps/cds and more, including interesting interview segments and a hefty booklet.

I have nearly all of this material so I won't be picking up this box. But Michael Anderson (I'm assuming it's the same Michael Anderson who used to be the late night dj on BGO & was the only reason to listen to that station) is an interesting intelligent guy and I'd be surprised if he didn't put together a good & interesting selection of music & interviews.

I preordered that from ESP but haven't received it. . . I notice it's been available from other retailers for a spell. . . .Looks as if it is going to contain the material in the four ESP lps/cds and more, including interesting interview segments and a hefty booklet.

If you could tell us what you think, I'd be very gratefull

I have nearly all of this material so I won't be picking up this box. But Michael Anderson (I'm assuming it's the same Michael Anderson who used to be the late night dj on BGO & was the only reason to listen to that station) is an interesting intelligent guy and I'd be surprised if he didn't put together a good & interesting selection of music & interviews.

Thanks. I have the same opinion of WBGO. Do you have any idea where to find the Parker solo session from Kansas City in May 1940? Iit had been on the Complete Birth of the Bebop on Stash. I'm also very interested in hearing Parker with just guitar and drums from Kansas City in September 1941 (also on the Stash CD). I'm tempted to buy Michael Anderson set just to get that stuff.