When did Blakey's Midnight Session come out?

Dmitry

Think that this one first came out on Elektra (!), and somehow ended up later on Savoy. Don't know more than that.

Looks Like AMG told us both that it was on Elektra. I've never seen the Elektra Lps from before the late 70s, had no idea the label was that old[unless Elektra and Elektra were two different outfits].

My Goldmine Guide tells me that the Savoy reissue came out in 1960, 3 years after the original. I wonder what the Elektra cover looked like, cause the Savoy sure is ugly.

Welllllll....

I knew that it was first on Elektra w/o consulting AMG. Don't ask me how, probably some blurb on Board Krypton. The important stuff I forget, but THIS kind of stuff I remember. :g:g:g

But as for Elektra, it's an old(er) label. Started out doing a lot of folk and stuff, mid-50s, maybe, along with late 60s things like Butterfield, Tim Buckley, and, of course, The Doors. Not really sure how the Blakey side got made, or how it got sold to Savoy. Sounds like there's a story on both ends, maybe.

Check this out: http://www.bsnpubs.com/elektra/elektrastory.html

I have a photo here of the Elektra LP cover from the Jazz Heroes Data Bank book. The title shown is "A Midnight Session With The Jazz Messengers". It's also shown in the Goldmine Jazz Album Price Guide (by Neely). That was the title of the stereo issue.

"Reflections Of Buhaina" must have been used by Elektra for the mono issue (which contained that tune - the stereo Elektra album had "Study In Rhythm" instead), but I can't recall seeing that cover.

Ah, the good old days of early stereo - when you could buy the "same" album twice and get very different things - and not just different mixes.

Then this album was titled "Mirage" when reissued as Savoy Jazz SJL-1112.

"Reflections Of Buhaina" was the title of the butchered two-fer CD that Savoy did of this (along with part of the Bill Hardman Savoy album). That CD *does* have the elusive "Study In Rhythm" track, btw. Incidentally, the Tom Lord discography CD-ROM completely omits any mention of this tune - and that's *after* having a decade to make corrections. Bruyninckx misses it too, but he mentions an alternative take of "Reflections Of Buhaina" that only appears on a Vogue CD (650130). Very interesting.

Someone should do a REAL reissue of this stuff, with all the tunes from the session (7 titles, plus one alternative take) and include all the covers.

Mike

The Elektra cover is more interesting than the Savoy, that's for sure. Thanks for posting it.

You don't find it odd that they do only the tunes by Gigi Gryce, Ray Draper and Mal Waldron, none of whom were [ever?] members of the Jazz Messengers?

At least Draper had a McLean connection..

The Savoy CD has the photo of Blakey, but reversed (so it appears that the hi hat is on the right side not the left - and you can't read the "Jazz Messengers" on the bass drum), and with everything else from the cover removed.

The Savoy Jazz LP (Mirage) was part of a trilogy of album covers that had a photo of a face (Blakey) in a circular window. Mingus and Kenny Clarke were the others.

Of all of the ones I've seen, the Elektra stereo is by far the best cover.

Mike

The Savoy Jazz LP (Mirage) was part of a trilogy of album covers that had a photo of a face (Blakey) in a circular window. Mingus and Kenny Clarke were the others

In addition to this "trilogy" I have others in this format - Joe Turner, Dexter & Wardell and the 2nd volume of Changing Face of Harlem. The three I mentioned are doubles though.

The Savoy CD has the photo of Blakey, but reversed (so it appears that the hi hat is on the right side not the left - and you can't read the "Jazz Messengers" on the bass drum), and with everything else from the cover removed.

The Savoy Jazz LP (Mirage) was part of a trilogy of album covers that had a photo of a face (Blakey) in a circular window. Mingus and Kenny Clarke were the others.

Of all of the ones I've seen, the Elektra stereo is by far the best cover.

Mike

Michael, are you talking about the Midnight Session?

My Mono Savoy has the same cover as the cd.

Mighty uninteresting art, imo. But a decent session. I guess they had to turn it out pretty fast. When did Savoy buy the rights from Elektra?

• 2 months later...

Did some more research on this one. Bought a copy of the Savoy Jazz/Atlantic CD of Reflections Of Buhaina (9879-2 from 2000).

The old Savoy Jazz/Denon CD of Midnight Session (SV-0145 from 1991) actually has BOTH Reflections of Buhaina AND Study in Rhythm on it. They just didn't make a separate track so Reflections of Buhaina is 10:58 instead of 6:44, which is the correct length. The Savoy Jazz/Atlantic CD makes these separate tracks (6:44/4:12).

So, I'm a little bummed not to hear anything that I hadn't already, but it does help clear up the Messengers mess. Still need to hear the Vogue CD which Bruyninckx claims has an alternative take of Reflections of Buhaina. I wonder if those with other issues of this material could check the timings on their copies to confirm what is or isn't there.

BTW, this is why including track timings in discographies is a useful thing.

Mike

You don't find it odd that they do only  the tunes by Gigi  Gryce, Ray Draper and  Mal Waldron, none of whom were [ever?] members of the Jazz Messengers?

At least Draper had a McLean connection..

... and Waldron too, on some McLean LPs Draper was on!

Gigi Gryce recorded with Blakey in 1954 under the drummer's leadership (EmArcy) - you can always take a look at Mike Fitzgerald's fabulous Messengers Chronology ...... ;)

(link)

Edited by mikeweil