Your favorite TENOR player on the scene today

Rooster_Ties

Another nod for Greg Tardy. Also, Lars Moller, though I'm thinking he's somewhat older.

Don't forget Roman Schwaller from the VAO either, though he too might not make the listed age bracket.

Also used to like Sam Newsome when he was with Terence Blanchard. My favorite Wynton Marsalis album is Blanchard's Simply Stated.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say that I was surprised that Joel Frahm hasn't gotten a mention, but, then again, he's not my favorite up and comer either. He is damn close, however. His last couple of records are really great musical statements (the duet album with Mehldau really stands out, IMHO). For the current guys though, I have to agree with the Mark Turner camp. Fly is awesome, the Turner/Rosenwinkel sides are phenomenal, and the first Mark Turner album on WB (just called Mark Turner) is a nice treat to be sure. Strangely, I first got turned onto Mark on a Christmas compilation called WB Jazz Christmas Party, where he plays the shit out of Pure Imagination. On a side note, why do some consider Pure Imagination a Christmas song? I've yet to get a good answer on this one...

A couple more certainly worth mentioning-

Sangrey's partner in crime, Pete Gallio. Not well known perhaps, but a BAD mutha (both of 'em!)!

Also I like Tim Ries, who may be better known to some as a soprano player. He was featured on Maria's first recording, Evanescence. Plus he's done some nice things on the Criss Cross label.

Tony Malaby

Most definitely. This guy is going to be huge.

Also, for me, David Murray and Chris Potter are tops.

I don't own any David Sanchez music, and had never heard him before, but I saw him live a couple weeks back and he blew my freakin' mind.

I love listening to many of the players that were mentioned but Chris Potter and David Murray are probably the most obvious choice for me.

I also happen to like very much Joshua Redman and can't understand why he was mentioned so little on the thread. Many jazz fans are cold to his music and claim he is a promotional success. Maybe there is a part of truth in that claim but Joshua is great on his record "Wish" (especially the first track, Ornette Coleman's tune "Turnaround"), the VV live recording is great with a humorous and original version of "St. Thomas" but recently I enjoy his record "Beyond" the most. This one got some cold reviews on some websites (AMG is one). I really can't understand the detractors. Very interesting tunes and great playing by Joshua and Goldberg.

Edited by ztrauq22

To the above I'd add the very underrated and underrecorded Yosvany Terry, who plays both tenor and alto.

Jim, don't mean to beat a dead horse, but have you heard Potter's latest, LIFT? It's live at the Vanguard and IMO one of Potter's more mature records. My beef with Potter is generally that there's no vulnerability that comes through in his playing, but I do enjoy what I've heard of this one.

I also happen to like very much Joshua Redman and can't understand why he was mentioned so little on the thread. Many jazz fans are cold to his music and claim he is a promotional success.

I quite enjoy Joshua Redman as well. I've enjoyed his recordings, but I was truely convinced when I saw him live. He's a really great player in person....has that old school sound with a modern vision. Plus mad chops.

Edited by sal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Eric Alexander is the guy for me. I've always enjoyed Joshua Redman live, he brings a joy and a grasp of the tradition, but his recordings are another story for me. LOVE Billy Harper's playing, but he doesn't make the under 50 age cutoff.

*Thread hijack warning*

I'm just not clear on what an equivalent album to Saxophone Colossus would be, exactly. Would we recognize it as such?

I was around when 'Saxophone Colossus' was released and - along with a lot of people - was taken over by the sheer brillance. Same thing with John Coltrane's first albums. And then when Albert Ayler's 'Spiritual Unity' exploded.

Is there any album by one of the current saxophonists that hit you in the face the same way those did in their time? I have not but would love to hear one.

brownie, the answer to your question is an emphatic NO, the genius' you mentioned sadly have no counterparts, and there aren't any equivilant artists on the scene today, and yes, we'd recognize such, WHEN WILL THE NEXT BIRD COME ALONG????????? Edited by mrjazzman

No, I don't really dislike him. I just don't get anything out of him other than a tremendous respect for the work that he's put in. But the results of that work don't reach me at all. I hear all this talk of him as a "leading voice", and I can only conclude that where he's leading is someplace that I'm just not interested in going.

Like Eric Alexander and others, I have the highest respect for Potter's talents; he just doesn't connect with me emotionally. I know there are many for whom he does, and that's cool. Different strokes and all that. I do think that the promoting of him as the aforementioned "leading voice" is a bit much, but whatcha' gonna do 'bout that?

Loads of respect, little or no real affection. I guess that sums it up for me.

couldn't agree with you more, perfectly stated although i have a little more than a borderline admiration for eric alexander, own 5 or 6 of his cd's

im so busy working and listening to all my dead guys, I don't have the time to throughly check out the cats playing today. Because his acknowledged influences are George Coleman and Dexter Gordon(my favorite ts player)I kind of like Eric Alexander. He's got a new one out with Vincent Herring(which would have been my #1 choice if you'd included alto sax players)called Battle, Live At Smoke and although I wouldn't expect them to sound like ammons and stitt, or lock and griff, alexander's half of the solo on blues up and down left me wanting a little more. IF(and that as we know can be a huge IF) he ever reaches his full potential, alexander will be a great one, own 5 or 6 of his cd's. Saw him with mabes, coleman, & joe farnsworth last year at Pearl's in San Francisco. he seemed a little stiff but overall sounded very good. inbetween sets we had a few words about Dexter. Saw coltrane recently with bobby hutcherson, didn't move me at all, struck me as being average at best. just bought my 1st james carter cd, live at baker's keyboard loung, sorry folks, im taking that one back, maybe i'll check something else by him, but so far he's losing me, i hear gimmickry in his playing.......

James Moody.  Yeah, I know what his birth certificate says, but, if you've ever seen him in person, he's not a day over 30.

Back on track: anyone know what's become of Peter Apfelbaum?  He was hot for a minute, then went 9 years without an album.

I saw moody earlier this year at Yoshi's in Oakland. Joey DeFrancesco was there and was supposed to be with Jimmy Smith but Jimmy died a couple days earlier so who showed up in his place? Moody at 80 years of age and not looking more than 60 and can still blow ts and flute.............

Walt Wesikopf deserves a listen. His latest CD on Criss Cross with Andy Fusco is a real good one.

Also, there's a guy up here in Canada named Mike Murley, around 40, and take my word for it, this guy is a tremendous tenor player. Do a search and grab some of his CD's. You won't be disappointed. If he lived in the States, he'd be a big deal, guaranteed.

Has anyone mentioned Mark Shim? Saw him live two years ago, and have one of his Blue Notes - nice lean tone, a guy to watch, but I haven't heard much about him since.

Seamus Blake - saw him live last year, but he sounded routine and uninspired compared to Hungarian Tony Lakatos who sat in and displayed much more variety and expressivemess.

I, too, wonder why Joshua Redman isn't mentioned more often ... not a giant, but pretty consistent and always swinging melodically.

If we'd set the age mark at 40, we'd be in trouble?