Curtis Amy and Duke Pearson Mosaic Selects

I just received an email from Mosaic, which, among other news, contained the following information:

Dear Jazz Lovers,

Bunny Berigan Update

Some last minute refinements in remastering and pitch corrections has delayed the Bunny Berigan set. This historic set by this jazz giant is now expected to ship on or about June 16th. You may preorder by calling us or visiting our website and please note that your credit card will not be charged until the set is shipped.

2003 Schedule

A couple of revisions and additions to our last update of projects we are working on. In July we will be issuing the vinyl version of Miles at the Blackhawk on 6 LPs. We then have two more Mosaic Records sets planned for the year that have been on our wish list for a very long time. In September we will issue The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band on 4 CDs and in November we will release The Complete Verve Roy Eldridge Studio Sessions on 7 CDs.

Our popular Mosaic Select series will continue with 2 releases in September; Paul Chambers and John Patton and at the end of the year we are working towards 2 more Selects, Curtis Amy and Duke Pearson. A full slate of releases that requires a lot of gratifying work which we wouldn't be able to do without the great music these artists have given us and the support that you give to this music.

Edited by Brad

Hi!

30 minutes ago i got this email too from Mosaic and i´m still excited with the idea of a Mosaic Select on Duke Pearson!!!! this has been a great year so far!!!

i know Curtis Amy only from Katanga but i really like this album, i think it´s my favorite one on the WCC series. i´ll be glad to be introduced to more of his work!!

Life is so beautiful :g

peace

Marcus Oliveira

Happy to hear about these

I wonder which Pearson LPs will be included on the Select. I took a quick glance at AMG. A number have already been released. Think they'll just cherry pick the unreleased stuff or will they try get some sort of theme to the release.

The one thing about Selects are that there need be no rhyme or reason to the contents from what I understand unlike Mosaic sets which have a theme or concept to the box.

• 3 months later...

I think I remember it was announced somewhere that it would include:

The Phantom (1968)

I Don't Care Who Knows It (1968-70)

How Insensitive (1969)

Merry Ole Soul (1969)

It Could Only Happen with You (1970)

With the exception of 'I don't Care...', a collection of leftovers from other sessions, none of these has had US CD release, and I believe that 'It Could Only...' hasn't been reissued on CD anywhere.

Edited by Daniel A

A minor point to some, I'm sure, but I'm hoping they're able to program the discs so that Merry Old Soul ends up on a separate disc. I enjoy jazz holiday music but only play it during the season and don't like to mix it with non holiday stuff. I'm one of the few guys who likes to put a bunch of discs in the player and hit random play so if Merry Old Soul ends up on a disc with another session, neither of them will get as much play as if the the holiday music is on separate disc.

You're welcome, vibes!

The thing is, I was almost sure that I read this somewhere on this board. I couldn't find the info, so I made a search on the AAJ board instead, which came up with this thread:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread....=&threadid=2381

Rooster links to a thread over here where information about the Pearson Select is said to be found, but the link doesn't work. Has that thread for some reason been removed?

The Pearson set will be a beauty, with the sessions listed above.

"The Phantom" is a very good album, overdue for reissue. There is a TOCJ.

A kind friend sent me a CDr of a mint LP of "It Could Only Happen With You", and I really enjoy that one. It turns out that the title is a translation of "So' Tinha De Ser Com Você". It's a Jobim composition, and Flora Purim actually sings it in Portuguese on the Pearson session. She sings it in the same key as the original version, which appeared on the Warner Bros Jobim LP "The Wonderful World of Antonio Carlos Jobim" (you can get that as a digipack CD).

There was no album called "I Don't Care Who Knows It" in the LP days. This title was used for a mid 90s compilation CD consisting of a collection of unissued titles from about four sessions. I assume that the new Mosaic set will contain all those tracks. They are all good, especially "Xibaba", "I Don't Know" and "Canto de Ossanha". I hope that Michael includes the three items that he left out when assembling the mid 90s CD, namely: "Is That So" (10/3/69) and "Come On Over, My Love" and "Dialog" (from the 11/21/69 session). (Those two sessions, held at A&R, were intended to make up planned Brasilian-style album which never came to fruition.)

I don't really like the vocal tracks on "How Insensitive" (all that doodly-doo stuff is dross to me), but the LP contained three tracks from a fine 5/5/69 session featuring Flora; the fourth and final title from that session was on the mid 90s CD, and so, I assume, this new set will present this whole session.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...