What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

I will say that Tusques did not engage with the rest of the band but I did think Sclavis and Jordan found some common language especially during the last two thirds of the set after a somewhat rough start.

Interesting how perspectives can be different. I was not at Vision Festival the night this band performed, but I read a facebook post of someone who felt just the opposite - that the other members of the band did not engage Tusques and instead basically shut him out.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will say that Tusques did not engage with the rest of the band but I did think Sclavis and Jordan found some common language especially during the last two thirds of the set after a somewhat rough start.

Interesting how perspectives can be different. I was not at Vision Festival the night this band performed, but I read a facebook post of someone who felt just the opposite - that the other members of the band did not engage Tusques and instead basically shut him out.

In Seattle the group performed as a quartet, without Sclavis, and they were magnificent. Jordan was clearly the centerpiece, with Tusques providing support and a couple of solos. I definitely like Sclavis from his recordings, but this group was probably more exciting without him.

Tonight it's Colin Stetson.

Actually, a friend who was at the concert with me, while reaching a similar conclusion about the music played, felt not only that the those who assembled this band but also Jordan were at fault -- Jordan because he gave little room to Sclavis and Tusques (especially Tusques) to do their thing.

again during the first 10 minutes plus, I had this feeling that Kidd might never stop playing, but he did wind down his opening salvo - and although until I see a video or hear a tape of what I saw - I don't know how long these sections were - but there were 2 sections when the pianist, bassist and drummer played as a trio and it was for a good amount of time - there was a decently long section with Sclavis unaccompanied - and there was a good amount of time with the Parker and Drake together and then the Drake solo about 50 minutes in before the gorgeous elegy closing the ~70 minute set.

The piano didn't sound as clear as I would like - but I think it was the pianist - same venue last year and Cooper-Moore, Eri Yamamoto, Charles Gayle and Craig Taborn came through loud and clear - and this year I was sitting in the front row right in front of the piano - maybe 15 feet away - last year I was in the enter front row - plus I think Tusque is not a very forecaful player and maybe his approach lends to a lighter sound.

I would have liked to hear another pianist the same night to hear for sure.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I just the Tusques 4tet minus Sclavis in Vancouver last night....great set but Tusques definitely took a back seat and I must say Parker and Drake shined the brightest. I love Louis Sclavis and have seen him play at least 4 or 5 times over the last 20 years but can't imagine how he would gel with Kidd Jordan...seems like an odd pairing style wise

Flatlanders

How was the show? I'd love to see them again, after having seen Ely a few times solo since the last Flatlanders show here.

Very nice. Great stories & excellent music.

Ely told a story about driving across Texas many years ago & picking up a hitchiker who turned out to be Townes Van Zandt carrying a sackful of vinyl LPs.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 7:30pm - $15
THE MAKAYA MCCRAVEN QUARTET
Community Music School of Springfield - 127 State Street - Springfield, MA
The ensemble includes Makaya McCraven, drums, Greg Ward, alto saxophone, Justin Thomas, vibraphone and Junius Paul, bass.

Last Friday night, Mark Turner at the Village Vanguard, followed by the Mike DiRubbo Quintet at Smalls.

Last Saturday, at Shapeshifter Lab, first Russell Kirk, then Greg Osby 4 with Simona Premazzi on piano. Then to Smalls for another set by Mike Dirubbo, followed by the Stacy Dillard Brooklyn Circle.

Sunday afternoon, the Joe Alterman Trio, with James Cammack on bass, and guest Houston Person, at the Blue Note.

Last Friday night, Mark Turner at the Village Vanguard, followed by the Mike DiRubbo Quintet at Smalls.

I really wanted to get down to catch Turner, but was worn out from two road trips into the city the week before. How was it?

I honestly did not care much for the music. I've enjoyed Mark Turner as a sideman, and certainly they were all good musicians (though the drummer in particular was not to my taste, too busy and noisy), and there were elements of solos I enjoyed, but overall, I didn't care for the compositions or the overall sound of the group. They offered to let us stay another set for just a one drink minimum, and I had no interest in taking up the offer. My next stop, MIke Dirubbo's group was much better, to my taste.

I think it was the quartet with Avishai Cohen, Joe Martin and Marcus Gilmore. I have actually heard the group before and enjoyed them. But then again I am a huge Turner fan and I understand that huis music is not to everyone's taste. Sicne DiRubbo is from CT, I have heard him a number of times playing in my area. Great alto and like many from this area, strongly influenced by Jackie McLean.

I think it was the quartet with Avishai Cohen, Joe Martin and Marcus Gilmore. I have actually heard the group before and enjoyed them. But then again I am a huge Turner fan and I understand that huis music is not to everyone's taste. Sicne DiRubbo is from CT, I have heard him a number of times playing in my area. Great alto and like many from this area, strongly influenced by Jackie McLean.

Avishal Cohen and Joe Martin it was for sure; I'm drawing a blank on whether Marcus Gilmore was actually the drummer Friday night.

Mike DiRubbo's rhythm section was real nice--Brian Charette on piano, Dwayne Burno on bass, and Rudy Royston on drums.

I caught Sonny Landreth at the Regattabar tonight for what might be my last live blues gig. I am sick of getting my ears blown out so I am just going to avoid them from here on out. The sound was atrocious. Landreth sang some vocals but I have no idea what he was singing. It was all a blob of sound blasting from the sound system... and this was only a trio!

So I saw one ticketed show last weekend (Vijay Iyer) at the Vancouver International Jazz Fest and a few free things (most of Soweto Kinch's show and now the first set by The Unsupervised). Don't know too much about The Unsupervised, aside from the fact they are a 5-piece of mostly (entirely?) Canadian musicians. They seem to be clearly inspired by Atomic. I liked most of their set except the final song, which took fast, slow(quiet), fast to parodic extremes. I was a little bummed to see it on their independently produced CD, but decided to pick it up anyway. Had I been on my own, I probably would have stuck it out for a second set (added kind of at the last minute apparently). But my son was getting a bit weary of all the free jazz.

As far as Vijay's set, I found it a bit of a let-down. I've seen him in action 5 or so times (including twice with Rudresh Mahanthappa) and this was by far the least satisfying. I only really enjoyed a single piece they did -- MJ's Human Nature, oddly enough. I know he's trying to do some interesting things with time, but there were two songs where the bassist and the drummer kept intentionally screwing around with the beat and I just couldn't go along with that. There was another piece that was quite good but really dragged down by a loooong bass solo. And I just don't like the drummer -- Tyshawn Sorey. I know he's got all kinds of cred. (In fact I was pretty sure I had seen him two years ago at the Jazz Fest -- and indeed he was in a group with Ingrid Laubrock called Paradoxical Frog.) But I just don't like his approach -- in general he seems to call way more attention to himself than is necessary -- and his unconventional approach to time-keeping. And I doubt I'll ever go see a group again if I know he will be participating (not that drummers are usually listed on the marquis). I'm sure it's my loss, but I just didn't enjoy either time I saw him and he was the largest contributor to that both times.