What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night a terrific gig by the David Murray Infinity Quartet (Rod Williams, Jaribu Shahid and Nasheet Waits).. Highlights were the bass clarinet feature When the Monarchs Come To Town and Solitude, a tenor/bass duet. Waits got some exciting and musical solos.

Last night a terrific gig by the David Murray Infinity Quartet (Rod Williams, Jaribu Shahid and Nasheet Waits).. Highlights were the bass clarinet feature When the Monarchs Come To Town and Solitude, a tenor/bass duet. Waits got some exciting and musical solos.

On a good night Nasheet Waits is a very exciting drummer to see and hear live

Last night, I caught Paul McCandless with some Oberlin students and faculty, with the latter including Jamey Haddad, Jay Ashby and Peter Dominguez. McCandless played soprano, bass clarinet, penny whistle, cor anglais and sopranino, I believe. The various student ensembles included clarinet, flute, harp, violin, cello, guitar, piano, drums and percussion.

It was my first time catching McCandless, and I am not very familiar with his work. I was impressed by his facility and tone on his wide variety of instruments and his writing for the various ensembles, which successfully combined classical students with jazz students. It's pretty cool seeing students play with major artists and finding out who rises to the occasion. One student guitarist, Joshua Rosner, played what was probably the slowest guitar solo I have ever heard; rather than dragging, however, it was oddly riveting. I wish that I would've thought to go up to him afterward and tell him how well he did.

McCandless seemed to genuinely enjoy working with the students, and Jamey Haddad was justifiably pleased by their performance. One of the highlights of the night was a rendition of Jim Pepper's 'Witchi-Tai-To', complete with the chant. It was the last song of the night, capping the portion of the set featuring McCandless with the faculty members (and talented student pianist, Shea Pierre, who studied with Ellis and Jason Marsalis). Although McCandless invited any musician who wanted to join them to come up, only one student, a percussionist, joined them.

Like a previous occasion when I caught Dave Liebman playing with Oberlin students (with Billy Hart lurking in the audience and coming up for a duet!), it was free and entirely worth the fifty-minute drive from Cleveland. It was good to see a nice turnout in the middle of midterms, too.

Edited by Justin V

:tup

On a good night Nasheet Waits is a very exciting drummer to see and hear live

Must have been a good night Steve

SF Jazz Collective tonight. It's their 10th anniversary, and they're playing selections from their entire repertoire through the weekend.

Current lineup:

Miguel Zenón, alto saxophone

David Sánchez, tenor saxophone

Avishai Cohen, trumpet

Robin Eubanks, trombone

Warren Wolf, vibraphone

Edward Simon, piano

Matt Penman, bass

Obed Calvaire, drums

IMG_0459.JPG

Saw them last night, Third time and I thought this was the best version yet (Or at least gave the best performance).

Last Wednesday, the Charles Tolliver Quintet, with Bruce Edwards on guitar and Theo Hill on piano, at the Cell Theater.

Last Thursday, the Charles McPherson Quintet at Jazz Standard, with Brian Lynch on trumpet.

On Friday, Ben Allison at the Cornelia Street Cafe.

On Saturday, David Schnitter Quartet at Smalls, followed by Tom Harrell's Trip (Mark Turner, Ugonna Ukegwo, Adam Cruz) at the Village Vanguard.

Sunday night, Frederika Krier's Molecular Vibrations at Shapeshifter Lab, followed by Tom Harrell's Trip at the Village Vanguard.

On Saturday, David Schnitter Quartet at Smalls, followed by Tom Harrell's Trip (Mark Turner, Ugonna Ukegwo, Adam Cruz) at the Village Vanguard.

Sunday night, Frederika Krier's Molecular Vibrations at Shapeshifter Lab, followed by Tom Harrell's Trip at the Village Vanguard.

I assume that since you went back a second night Harrell's group was good? Wish I had realized Turner was playing with Harrell at the Vanguard. I might have made the trip down for that.

I assume that since you went back a second night Harrell's group was good? Wish I had realized Turner was playing with Harrell at the Vanguard. I might have made the trip down for that.

It was real good; interesting compositions and top flight playing from all.

Tony Bevan - Trevor Watts - John Edwards - Mark Sanders at the Vortex in London tonight;

10410307263_a9729b89ce_c.jpg

They were seriously good - fierce, intense, beautiful music. I hope it was recorded.

one day

great picture especially capturing the intensity of the great ol' saxophonist, Trevor Watts

plus odd to see his alto just lying on the stage......

Last Sat. I saw Kronos Quartet (for the second time). They are doing even more touring than usual, since this is their 40th Anniversary year. While I enjoyed the first time around (2009) a bit more, it was an interesting show and it was the world premiere of Philip Glass's 6th String Quartet.

I am sorely tempted to go down to LA on March 14 when they are playing Black Angels. (They are also doing this in Berkeley on Dec. 7.) I honestly don't know how often they play Black Angels in concert, but I wouldn't think they do it that often (I might be completely off about that.) I have delved a bit more into their recent back catalog and was quite intrigued that they commissioned a piece for 2 cellos and that Joan Jeanrenaud performed on the recording (and a handful of concerts). I went ahead and ordered the CD on which this performs (and am waiting for the download to complete...).

Tonight: Louis Moholo-Moholo Quartet - Louis Moholo-Moholo – drums; Alex Hawkins – piano; Jason Yarde – saxophones; John Edwards – bass

As expected, a tremendous concert. Two high energy, mainly continuous, sets with a couple of brief pieces to tail each set. Familiar tunes kept rising out of the maelstrom - from the Moholo-Moholo past and standards (even 'What a Wonderful World' at one point). In a way, four generations of musicians there - Moholo-Moholo going back to the 60s, John Edwards from the 80s, Jason Yarde who I first became aware of in the 90s and then Alex from the early 21stC. The revelation for me this time was John Edwards who I have seen before but I suddenly see why everyone raves about him. Had a brief chat with Alex - as humble and gracious as ever. Hope this line-up can do more - and that a recording emerges in the future.

Next Week: The Full English - Fay Hield, Seth Lakeman, Martin Simpson, Nancy Kerr, Sam Sweeney, Rob Harbron, Ben Nicholls

And in a few weeks: Camerata Zurich, Barry Guy - Barry Guy "Time Passing" UK Premiere

The latter promises to take me to "an existential state of contemplation and questioning". I don't think so!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Tonight: Louis Moholo-Moholo Quartet - Louis Moholo-Moholo drums; Alex Hawkins piano; Jason Yarde saxophones; John Edwards bass

As expected, a tremendous concert. Two high energy, mainly continuous, sets with a couple of brief pieces to tail each set. Familiar tunes kept rising out of the maelstrom - from the Moholo-Moholo past and standards (even 'What a Wonderful World' at one point). In a way, four generations of musicians there - Moholo-Moholo going back to the 60s, John Edwards from the 80s, Jason Yarde who I first became aware of in the 90s and then Alex from the early 21stC. The revelation for me this time was John Edwards who I have seen before but I suddenly see why everyone raves about him. Had a brief chat with Alex - as humble and gracious as ever. Hope this line-up can do more - and that a recording emerges in the future.

Next Week: The Full English - Fay Hield, Seth Lakeman, Martin Simpson,p Nancy Kerr, Sam Sweeney, Rob Harbron, Ben Nicholls

And in a few weeks: Camerata Zurich, Barry Guy - Barry Guy "Time Passing" UK Premiere

The latter promises to take me to "an existential state of contemplation and questioning". I don't think so!

Me wants to see that quartet - I have never seen the legendary drummer or the great bassist

Tonight: Louis Moholo-Moholo Quartet - Louis Moholo-Moholo drums; Alex Hawkins piano; Jason Yarde saxophones; John Edwards bass

Next Week: The Full English - Fay Hield, Seth Lakeman, Martin Simpson,p Nancy Kerr, Sam Sweeney, Rob Harbron, Ben Nicholls

Me wants to see that quartet - I have never seen the legendary drummer or the great bassist

Ah, but think about what you do see living near to NYC. Swings and roundabouts.

Atlanta guitarist Jacob Deaton produces the "Sounds From the Underground" series at the Elliott Street Pub every Monday night. Tonight Kevin Scott, a bassist with whom I've played many times, played guitar in an improvised duo with a drummer. It was great - Derek Bailey meets Johnny Guitar Watson! I didn't even know that Kevin played guitar.