What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's a great combination, hope you enjoy it

Not really my thing but it wonderful. Started with a stately theme (was a Muhal composition) veered to mostly quiet but often arresting improvisation dialogue and ended with another piece of written music. 55 minutes of continuous music. As always I was very close to the musicians. No amplification used.    

Very impressed with Hawkins. Great touch with stunning use of dynamics He’s was very friendly and spent much time after speaking with a number of us. His first NYC appearance. 

will see Tomeka Saturday night with her quartet with Mary, Jason Roebke & Tomas Fujiwara. Missing gabby fluke-mogul who is playing with a trio in Brooklyn. Tough decisions. I’m missing Matana Roberts with Brandon Lopez & Fujiwara tonight as I have a commitment. 

Glorious time for live music in NYC just in time for my 8/31 retirement:)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

The Tomeka Reid quartet set was stunning. I had the “Mary” seat 7 feet from her without the music stand blocking my view. Not meaning to compare but as great as Mary was (and is), Tomeka’s improvisational and melodic gifts are from another planet. From small form crunchy improv to melodic soloing I’m not sure she can be matched. Stunning performance. Plus I’m usually not easily impressed with current compositions by most / but Tomeka’s newest (premiered last night - and they are recording today in the studio) are even better than the compositions premiered this past spring. Or what’s on the 2 recordings. 3 extended pieces totaling ~53 - 54 minutes or so. 

46 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

The Tomeka Reid quartet set was stunning. I had the “Mary” seat 7 feet from her without the music stand blocking my view. Not meaning to compare but as great as Mary was (and is), Tomeka’s improvisational and melodic gifts are from another planet. From small form crunchy improv to melodic soloing I’m not sure she can be matched. Stunning performance. Plus I’m usually not easily impressed with current compositions by most / but Tomeka’s newest (premiered last night - and they are recording today in the studio) are even better than the compositions premiered this past spring. Or what’s on the 2 recordings. 3 extended pieces totaling ~53 - 54 minutes or so. 

That's interesting, I've thought that Reid's compositions have stood out right from the beginning. Her Hairy Who album was 2012.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

That's interesting, I've thought that Reid's compositions have stood out right from the beginning. Her Hairy Who album was 2012.

Just now, Steve Reynolds said:

Oh I agree. I’m talking about other “composers” who might be served better by improvising more. Not a popular opinion but I’d rather hear Ingrid *play* than some of her more stately compositions. Also would rather hear Kris Davis with Borderline trio doing long form improv than some of her compositionally based music. Sometimes it’s just too academic or studied for my taste. Mary sometimes as well. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Lucian Ban Tuba Project 

with 

Alex Harding on baritone saxophone

Mat Maneri on viola 

Bob Stewart on tuba

Brandon Lewis on drums 

incredible

6 hours ago, colinmce said:

Great performance by Joe McPhee, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, and Stefan Gonzalez in Dallas last night. Joe was as spry and lively as ever, playing as inimitably as ever. Truly a gift to share the room with him. 

SO glad you got to experience Joe McPhee live. My guess is tenor & pocket trumpet?

Last night at Oto, Mike Reed's Separatist Party.

Amazingly inventive two sets of very powerful music. Basically Bitchin Bajas with Ben Lamar Gay, who was outstanding, Reed and new to me Marvin Tate 

Tate's an astonishing performer, declaiming, preaching and singing his poetry/lyrics. The rest just hit the most insistent grooves, lots of AEOC in there I thought, Lamar Gay was Lester B's ghost at times.

I've always rated Reed as bandleader and as one of the most tuneful drummers I have heard. He's done it again with this group.

What is in the water in Chicago?

I get too far fewer gigs than I'd like to these days so it's good when one is just so good. A special Oto night. Only Oto is going to book this band in London 

Last night

Tim Berne with Greg Belisle-Chi, Tom Rainey & Aurora Nealand

Aurora on accordion & clarinet on one song

extraordinary set. Best of the Berne Thursday night shows I’ve seen this year. (The Sun of Goldfinger night with David Torn & Ches Smith excluded as that is another level shit / that night was like fucking Can peaking).

first 42-43 minutes 3-4 Berne compositions segued / stunning power & imagination. As great as Rainey usually is, last night he was beyond that. And the accordion / my jah is she incredible.
Belisle-Chi is a great guitarist who is so attuned to Berne’s music. Such a pleasure to see these Berne shows once or twice a month this year. Plus Berne is playing at a peak level these days. I’ve never heard these pieces before. Last 12 minute composition/performance pure genius on many levels. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On Saturday, I attended the Riverfront Jazz Festival, at the Dallas Convention Center for the first time. This is mostly a smooth jazz and soul festival, with two stages, the large Arena Stage (with poor acoustics, the site of a long ago Jimi Hendrix appearance in Dallas) and the Bruton Theater, which is quite nice. The theoretical riverfront is to the Trinity River, which more resembles a stream than a river, except when it is flooding.

Skipping the smoothness in bad sound, I stuck to the Bruton Theater, where I first heard a set by Shemekia Copeland, daughter of the late great Johnny Copeland. I had not really listened to her before, but her set was quite strong--some powerful vocals backed by a fine band.

Next I heard the group Naturally Seven. I was not expecting this to be so good. Seven vocalists with no instruments, other than their voices, but who sounded like a full band with vocals.

Finally for the day, Marcus Miller appeared with a quintet--all new to me except for Russell Gunn on trumpet. I quite enjoyed the set, including A Night in Tunisia and Mr. Pastorious.

Overall, a good day and looking forward to seeing Jason Marsalis and Chucho Valdes on Sunday.

Edited by kh1958

Sunday at the Riverfront Jazz Festival: Ironically, the Bruton Theater, where the actual jazz acts appeared, was called the Blues and Soul Stage, whereas the Arena, which was mostly smooth jazz acts, was the Jazz Stage.

Nevertheless, starting the day with Jason Marsalis on vibraharp, leading a quartet of what appeared to be local talent (Quincy Davis, the drum professor at UNT, and Dave Meder on piano (also a professor at UNT)), played a program of songs associated with Lionel Hampton and original Ellis Marsalis compositions. Jason is superb on vibes and the most talented member of the family (IMO).

Next up, the great Chucho Valdes appeared with a quartet (bass, drums, congas). Enough superlatives for this magnificent set are not available. Fantastic.

That was it for me, quitting while I was ahead. Hopefully next year this festival will return and there will be more  jazz on the bill.