What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going for the first set at The Rex tonight - It's the Tim Posgate Quartet.  He plays both banjo and guitar.  Not sure which we'll get more of in the first set.  My money is on the banjo...  😉

Next week there are two dates by Thermo (Nathan Hiltz on guitar, and Mike Manny on piano) at The Rex.  But their recent recording features Neil Swainson on bass, and I'm certainly hoping he'll be at both gigs (May 28 & 29).  I'm fairly likely to go both nights if he is playing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 3:51 PM, ejp626 said:

Next week there are two dates by Thermo (Nathan Hiltz on guitar, and Mike Manny on piano) at The Rex.  But their recent recording features Neil Swainson on bass, and I'm certainly hoping he'll be at both gigs (May 28 & 29).  I'm fairly likely to go both nights if he is playing. 

Sadly, Swainson wasn't at the gig on the 28th.  He also was going to miss the 29th, so I didn't stop back on the 2nd night.  Thermo is a pretty good outfit, but I was really hoping to catch Swainson again.

He is supposed to be backing Pat LaBarbara at the Rex on June 24, and I should be able to make that show.

Edited by ejp626
typo

Tonight I took my wife and a young friend to a concert by my longtime friend and former colleague as dance accompanist at the Frankfurt music academy, Klemens Althapp. We enjoyed improvising together back then, and he recently added his own songs with his very personal lyrics in German language to his repertoire. He also sings some standards, and his choice of tempo and groove in Gershwin's Summertime makes much more sense to me than the way most people sing it. Another old friend, Klaus Frölich, added percussion accompaniment. 

We mused about trying to get a gig as a duo in my current hometown ..... 

Edited by mikeweil

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Tonight I took my wife and a young friend to a concert by my longtime friend and former colleague as dance accompanist at the Frankfurt music academy, Klemens Althapp. We enjoyed improvising together back then, and he recently added his own songs with his very personal lyrics in German language to his repertoire. He also sings some standards, and his choice of tempo and groove in Gershwin's Summertime makes much more sense to me than the way most people sing it. Another old friend, Klaus Frölich, added percussion accompaniment. 

We mused about trying to get a gig as a duo in my current hometown ..... 

sounds like a great evening. 
About lyrics in German, I can´t say much. There was an aged amateur singer and jazz sessions sit-inner here, who wrote lyrics in German to American standards. "Our Love is here to stay" became "Unsere Liebe bleibt bestehn" . Reading your event I´m sure that your german friend does a better job singing in German.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:38 AM, sidewinder said:

Good to hear that Pat LaBarbera is still musically active over there.

I know that he comes and plays in Toronto from time to time.  I found that there is a fairly interesting group, BadBadNotGood, coming to the Toronto Jazz Fest, but I can't go to both shows unfortunately.  Will opt for LaBarbera (and hopefully Swainson!).

45 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

I know that he comes and plays in Toronto from time to time.  I found that there is a fairly interesting group, BadBadNotGood, coming to the Toronto Jazz Fest, but I can't go to both shows unfortunately.  Will opt for LaBarbera (and hopefully Swainson!).

I remember seeing LaBarbera a few times in Toronto - with Dave McMurdo’s Orchestra and with Joanne Brackeen (the latter at Cafe Des Copains, now sadly long gone).

I remember jazz at The Rex as well. Back 30 years ago the house band was led by B-3 organist John T. Davis (I think I got the name right) playing very much in a Big John Patton groove. That was one of my ‘go to’ places to catch some live jazz. The Toronto scene back then was amazing with all those US headliners passing through and playing places like the Bermuda Onion and Top O’ The Senator. Spoilt for choice - but sadly it didn’t last.

As for LaBarbera - I also saw him in the UK in the early 80s when he was in Elvin Jones’ group. Double tenor front line with Alan Skidmore.

Edited by sidewinder

It’s a fair way off yet but just booked for The Cookers in Cadogan Hall, London in November at the LJF. Sure to sell out I think and would hate to miss it. Last time I saw this group was with our late friend JohnS about 10 years ago. This will be the first time I have caught George Cables live, all being well.

Third row centre seat - should be good !

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

It’s a fair way off yet but just booked for The Cookers in Cadogan Hall, London in November at the LJF. Sure to sell out I think and would hate to miss it. Last time I saw this group was with our late friend JohnS about 10 years ago. This will be the first time I have caught George Cables live, all being well.

IIRC I saw them at that same venue a few years ago on a double bill with Chico Freeman. 

On wednesday, Sophie Agnel solo and in trio with Steve Noble and John Edwards, at Cafe Oto

Her solo set was mesmerising, the trio a lot less so I thought

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I've already booked for three LJF shows, not The Cookers so far

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

On wednesday, Sophie Agnel solo and in trio with Steve Noble and John Edwards, at Cafe Oto

Her solo set was mesmerising, the trio a lot less so I thought

I've already booked for three LJF shows, not The Cookers so far

I have to say, based on the lineup announced, only The Cookers and Ron Carter stirred my interest. 

Saw Cindy Blackman Santana w/Vernon Reid, Carlos Santana, John Medeski and Felix Pastorius. Was supposed to be a night honoring her mentor Tony Williams, but only about 1/4 of the show was his tunes. Still, a good show and lots of energy in SFJAZZ tonight.

174Dw8HbOL0yBpVyLVtT5RLZidGGIXPkLiKNAQDXd7oxiG0bdAKaYqzN_aHDgn6EamB_wGdBLkG3d99PKTwIK_UaE8FKEMcb8lfN3uQIfOCW9_XOx7284eik6P-W2lA0efHa0uDDOReZyFVfn4CZTlcmtX5pz48q9co91g0-xWttLbGXlj-S7DPjG9tvLzasN0qxjabHPgTFyfyYixv7PC-ltdVuWoBwOsb-N6S2wtAobJiy6iQCichLDuhq49OSSP4CqqjrWPZ-d9rMulMMZ2010jdD9gwetBKgFdojgetCrOvk00SkCGEoLVAOp4jBHa4SKOgqa8RPJvTGtQO5NnNSqWOf7882RjSKAqcIF4rfZdnl9VubLp18zbqT-dMSCPQ74bxqWn9LGrAkDWh8QFdzkhh8amfqmGXhR_vADP6fd6BVr4GLYIn-Gs8_4k3AM7tEWhP1SdUzGXlUV70MQQE4OW7KuI1RnhUgXRpJ9bKeeResiUTBSSyEVA8qMuxoCQ7VLUkNQWbZYf2HsxxDCQaKYF9LeDaLIhoWodnybmWkYXVowrT7xVh0Cx5oQbVIpd7pZSwJuarCZ3j5Z5NejPneUTWD4XjwRhxSS3shRmSf7QJO1BgPfZfywyKVul4iBrD2GLIO94Ehh7oIEisNnMQd7kNx_vaJ1aIaYLXn0v6nN85RC1YDIemOEiX0_1S5fChPolZ7rTXOG6tq0FNS80F2hGRLVF1yUYoGdXWS4BGw9JHovQ501WQKTCqPfTRYzYbUmQVV-vFVWFSzf3EtJtpWAHiYqu_Pbah5IpzBkDBrQh6VLiCO0wszzWnLxCAF3XuB5MpUGbLu85zrU2rOueo_1IwH1H6MFYJR_bLixt5ULrC74X9bHvsovE9QH1ls3uZKoisxrAPIJgj9sE2kGU-ihCwUEZnaQK8tte6tATp_Fg=w1707-h1280-s-no?authuser=0

Edited by BFrank

I know the thread is titled "Tonight" but I thought I'd give a bit of advance notice to a show I'm going to next Saturday (6/24) in Boston because I see that there are a bunch of tickets still available for those interested.

Next Saturday (6/24) at Scullers, the Dameronia's Legacy All Stars are bringing their Tadd Dameron tribute to Boston. The Dameronia's Legacy All Stars for this show features Joe Magnarelli, Dick Oatts, Gary Smulyan, Steve Davis, Jeb Patton, John Lockwood & leader/drummer Bernd Reiter. I am looking forward to being there. I've seen many of these players perform live over the years but it will be interesting to see how they mesh for this one. I've never seen Oatts live, so that will be interesting.

https://scullersjazz.com/upcoming-events/

Edited by bresna

21 minutes ago, bresna said:

I know the thread is titled "Tonight" but I thought I'd give a bit of advance notice to a show I'm going to next Saturday (6/24) in Boston because I see that there are a bunch of tickets still available for those interested.

Next Saturday (6/24) at Scullers, the Dameronia's Legacy All Stars are bringing their Tadd Dameron tribute to Boston. The Dameronia's Legacy All Stars for this show features Joe Magnarelli, Dick Oatts, Gary Smulyan, Steve Davis, Jeb Patton, John Lockwood & leader/drummer Bernd Reiter. I am looking forward to being there. I've seen many of these players perform live over the years but it will be interesting to see how they mesh for this one. I've never seen Oatts live, so that will be interesting.

https://www.ticketweb.com/event/dameronias-legacy-all-stars-a-scullers-jazz-club-tickets/13209968

I am sure I would enjoy that but it leaves me wondering, did any of these cats play with the original Dameronia as formed by Philly Joe? Or just a marketing effort to recall that group ... 

Anyway you could certainly count me in for a night of Dameron compositions ... if it were a little more local than Boston.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

https://www.ticketweb.com/event/dameronias-legacy-all-stars-a-scullers-jazz-club-tickets/13209968

My trip to Boston came 2 weeks too early damn it. Would love to see Oatts live 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I am sure I would enjoy that but it leaves me wondering, did any of these cats play with the original Dameronia as formed by Philly Joe? Or just a marketing effort to recall that group ... 

Anyway you could certainly count me in for a night of Dameron compositions ... if it were a little more local than Boston.

Only 2 players left from those 1980's Philly Joe Dameronia tribute recordings: Don Sickler & Larry Ridley. I don't know that either one is still playing these days.

Kenny Washington played drums on their live date from 1989 and he could have made it but since Bernd Reiter is the one who re-started this band, it doesn't make much sense for him to have Kenny play drums. :)

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

My trip to Boston came 2 weeks too early damn it. Would love to see Oatts live 

I am looking forward to it. I am pretty sure I've never seen Oatts either but for some reason, I'm wondering if he wasn't in the sax section of a big band I saw years ago.

Edited by bresna

Last night I saw Steve Lehman, Damion Reid and Matt Brewer at SFJazz. A mix of Lehman’s originals and some Anthony Braxton compositions.  It was great.  Brewer and Reid are an amazing combo.

Apparently this trio plus Mark Turner will be recording a tribute to Braxton. (On Pi, I assume…)

2 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Last night I saw Steve Lehman, Damion Reid and Matt Brewer at SFJazz. A mix of Lehman’s originals and some Anthony Braxton compositions.  It was great.  Brewer and Reid are an amazing combo.

Apparently this trio plus Mark Turner will be recording a tribute to Braxton. (On Pi, I assume…)

We were in the same building last night 

Last night, back to Six Springs Live or the first time since before COVID. Glad it survived--a dive bar/concert venue in a strip mall in Richardson with excellent sound where the music comes first.

A rare opportunity (in Dallas) to see Mississippi Hill Country Blues. After sitting through a couple of pedestrian local blues groups, finally there was the fabulous Deak Harp, straight from Deak's Mississippi Saxophone's and Blues Emporium in Clarksdale, Mississippi. A persistent fellow who followed James Cotton around until he became his driver then a band member, Deak has an incredible tone on harmonica, accompanying himself on guitar. Plus one of the best blues drummers I've ever heard, Quicksilver. Yes, that was just a duo producing all that sound.