What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, cliffpeterson said:

Tonight: Nels Cline, Chris Lightcap, Ingrid Laubrock and Tom Rainey at the Falcon in Marlboro, NY. Just got back. great concert

Saw that listing. Too bad I'm 3,000 miles away.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:24 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

The new Tim Berne with Hoff, Ducret, Torn & Ches Smith is incredible 

I'll look for it!

Looking forward to Saturday and this line up as part of Oto's memorial weekend for Peter Brotzmann

- Joe McPhee / Jason Adasiewicz - Duo

- Han Bennink / Pat Thomas - Duo

- Joe McPhee / Paal Nilssen-Love - Duo

- Paal Nilssen-Love / Ken Vandermark / Mats Gustafsson / Farida Amadou - Quartet

- Caspar Brötzmann - Solo

- Caspar Brötzmann / Farida Amadou - Duo

- Large ensemble

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Looking forward to Saturday and this line up as part of Oto's memorial weekend for Peter Brotzmann

- Paal Nilssen-Love / Ken Vandermark / Mats Gustafsson / Farida Amadou - Quartet

- Large ensemble

Awesome! Try to find Matt Vernon & Hope. Ask around. Tell them Steve says hello. 

Hope was Peter’s tour manager for the US for a couple of decades.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:30 PM, cliffpeterson said:

Tonight: Nels Cline, Chris Lightcap, Ingrid Laubrock and Tom Rainey at the Falcon in Marlboro, NY. Just got back. great concert

2 great sets tonight in NYC. My friend and I were 10 feet from Tom Rainey. Will see him again twice next week. I can never get enough of the *great* Tom Rainey. Peaking madly. Next Thursday with Tim Berne’s group then Saturday 2/17 with Open Loose (Helias & Malaby) with Berne as a guest. 

On 2/8/2024 at 3:21 PM, mjazzg said:

- Large ensemble

Decompressing from this.

The finale was a large ensemble playing with Longberg-Holm's lightbox conduction

Front line was Evan Parker, Joe McPhee, Zoh Amba, Ken Vandermark and Mats Gustafsson.

I saw the Chicago Tentet at Oto ten years ago, this was up there with it as a listening experience

The whole evening was very, very special. It started with McPhee/Adasiewicsz duet where Joe recited poetry rather than play sax. Unexpected but very special 

Edited by mjazzg

Tomas Fujiwara with Henry Fraser & Mary Halvorson 

at The Stone at The New School

tomorrow night Tim Berne with Gregg Belisle-Chi, Trevor Dunn & Tom Rainey at Lowlands 

Saturday night Open Loose with Mark Helias, Tony Malaby & Tom Rainey with Tim Berne guesting at Barbes 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Excuse OT post, but as a long-ago resident of Downtown Brooklyn (left early 1990), I'm amazed by how the improv / free / avant-garde scene has thrived in that general area (esp the 3d Ave. corridor from Gowanus to the Roulette site). 

10 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tomas Fujiwara with Henry Fraser & Mary Halvorson 

at The Stone at The New School

tomorrow night Tim Berne with Gregg Belisle-Chi, Trevor Dunn & Tom Rainey at Lowlands 

Saturday night Open Loose with Mark Helias, Tony Malaby & Tom Rainey with Tim Berne guesting at Barbes 

55-56 minute continuous improvisation. Genius level performance. Maybe the best I’ve ever heard Mary play. Stunning. Invention and true on the spot compositional improvisation. Very impressed with Henry Fraser. First time hearing him. Very strong more than holding his own in elite company. Tomas has it all and yet his typical restraint was combined with the most explosive playing I’ve ever heard from him. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

16 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Rosanne Cash & John Leventhal

Did Leventhal do anything from his new album?

Saw Johnathan Blake on Sunday w/Dayna Stephens, Dezron Douglas, Jalen Baker  and Fabian Almazan. It was one long suite he calls "My Life Matters". Good show - lots of interesting passages

blake3.jpg

Edited by BFrank

A bit in advance, but I bought tickets to see George Coleman play with One For All at Smoke in March. It's Coleman's 89th birthday celebration and since I'm pretty much retired at this point, I can finally do stuff like this. I haven't been to New York City since 1999 so it'll be interesting to see what's changed. I'm actually looking forward to it. I might even fit in a trip the Jazz Record Center or Academy.

I'm thinking about seeing Maria Schneider's orchestra at Birdland another night & probably Jerome Sabbagh or Steve Slagle at Smalls, a club I have yet to go to since they moved.

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

Did Leventhal do anything from his new album?

2 songs. He said "who wants a record from a 71 year old white man". The entire show was excellent & his 2 songs were very good. BTW, show was sold out (approx. 850 seats).

5 hours ago, jlhoots said:

2 songs. He said "who wants a record from a 71 year old white man". The entire show was excellent & his 2 songs were very good. BTW, show was sold out (approx. 850 seats).

Big fan of Leventhal - both as a player and producer. His productions have a certain quiet edge to them that are always interesting. Especially with his wife, Rosanne and also Shawn Colvin and the album he did with Sarah Jarosz.

Saw the Arpeggio Jazz Ensemble doing a Black History Month Motown-inspired show at the Upper Merion Community Center, free and about 1/2 mile from my house 🙂.  Excellent show, Warren Oree is quite a bassist, and Sherry Butler is a very strong vocalist.  Now if I could just track down their 1987 'Le-Le' album!

7 hours ago, felser said:

Saw the Arpeggio Jazz Ensemble doing a Black History Month Motown-inspired show at the Upper Merion Community Center, free and about 1/2 mile from my house 🙂.  Excellent show, Warren Oree is quite a bassist, and Sherry Butler is a very strong vocalist.  Now if I could just track down their 1987 'Le-Le' album!

Good to hear they're still going. Has Le-Le been in CD, it did just get an LP reissue recently 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Good to hear they're still going. Has Le-Le been in CD, it did just get an LP reissue recently 

Has not been on CD.  I'm going to pay for a digital download from Amazon, which I rarely do.  But this is strong stuff! 

On a whim, I went to see Bill Frissell's Trio in Cambridge last night. Gregory Tardy (on sax, flute and I think bass clarinet) and Rudy Royston on drums. I had low expectations as I'm generally not a Frissell fan but the band blew me away. Tardy in particular was incredible. That band understands space and not playing over each other but with one another. It was really great.

Lots of shows the past 2 weeks! Highlights Tony Malaby 2 great sets on 2 different Saturday nights at Barbes 

Tim Berne with his trio with Rainey augmented by the *great* Oscar Noriega on b-flat clarinet 

Rubin Kodheli on cello with Mary, Trevor Dunn & Brian Chase

Matt Nelson solo soprano saxophone, Michael Foster duo with Webb Crawford & a great trio with James Paul Nadian and two young musicians on altered electric guitar & electric bass

tonight at Jazz Gallery 

7 Poets Trio with Tomas Fujiwara, Tomeka Reid & Patricia Brennan double bill with Tomeka’s quartet with Mary, Jason & Tomas