What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm on the overnight boat to Oslo, after spending three days in Copenhagen. Although my visit fell right in the middle of the Copenhagen Jazz Festival, that was just a coincidence - this was just the beginning of a Scandinavian vacation my wife and I had planned. And with our short time in Copenhagen, obligations with friends, schedule conflicts, and a slight bout of illness, I didn't hear very much music. But I did hear the Saxopaths, a lightweight-but-fun saxophone quartet I discovered the last time I was in Copenhagen. And we second-lined with the Orion Brass Band, a New Orleans-style brass band that led a second-line parade each day. I hope it won't be insulting to my European friends to say that my wife and I were highly amused by the fact that the crowd walked quietly and politely behind the band - nobody danced, except us. And we both knew when to yell during the "Holler Blues." I've been the squarest person at several New Orleans parades; it was nice to be the hippest, for a change.

This evening, Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society at the lovely Kessler Theater in Oak Cliff.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, given Ronald Shannon Jackson's public musical inactivity over the last 15 years or so. But I need not have feared a polite evening of respectful applause for a retrospective concert by a past-his-prime artist. Instead, it was holy f--k, what a great concert, incredible, fantastic--this edition of the Decoding Society was the equal of any I've heard, and well rehearsed, with wonderful music and strong soloists. I never thought I would get to hear this music live again. And there was even a substantial sized crowd.

The Decoding Society was:

Ronald Shannon Jackson, drums and flute;

Melvin Gibbs, bass guitar;

John Wier, trumpet;

Gregg Prickett, guitar; and

Leonard Hayward, violin.

In the course of an hour and a half concert, they performed:

Deluge (Wayne Shorter)

Momma Plays the Guitar (RSJ)

Reese (Gregg Prickett)

People We Love (RSJ)

He Walked into the River (Gregg Prickett)

Concerto for Drums (RSH)

Howard Beach Memoirs (Melvin Gibbs)

Petals (RSJ)

Bloodlife (RSJ).

And for an encore, Ronald Shannon Jackson played an amazing drum solo.

Wish I'd been in the area to catch this. All the reports I've heard have been very strong.

This evening, Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society at the lovely Kessler Theater in Oak Cliff.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, given Ronald Shannon Jackson's public musical inactivity over the last 15 years or so. But I need not have feared a polite evening of respectful applause for a retrospective concert by a past-his-prime artist. Instead, it was holy f--k, what a great concert, incredible, fantastic--this edition of the Decoding Society was the equal of any I've heard, and well rehearsed, with wonderful music and strong soloists. I never thought I would get to hear this music live again. And there was even a substantial sized crowd.

The Decoding Society was:

Ronald Shannon Jackson, drums and flute;

Melvin Gibbs, bass guitar;

John Wier, trumpet;

Gregg Prickett, guitar; and

Leonard Hayward, violin.

In the course of an hour and a half concert, they performed:

Deluge (Wayne Shorter)

Momma Plays the Guitar (RSJ)

Reese (Gregg Prickett)

People We Love (RSJ)

He Walked into the River (Gregg Prickett)

Concerto for Drums (RSH)

Howard Beach Memoirs (Melvin Gibbs)

Petals (RSJ)

Bloodlife (RSJ).

And for an encore, Ronald Shannon Jackson played an amazing drum solo.

Wish I'd been in the area to catch this. All the reports I've heard have been very strong.

Dallas Observer review here:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2012/07/ronald_shannon_jackson_-_the_k.php

Caught Buddy Guy last night at the World Financial Center Plaza. Opening was John Mayall, who was pretty decent, but he did have a good guitarist. Next up was Quinn Sullivan, a 13 year old guitar prodigy. The kid has clearly studied his Buddy Guy and Clapton stuff, and he was refreshing and earnest the way kids his age can be. He is very fluid and definitely shows a lot of promise for the future. He did tear off a few good solos and sang a tune about meeting Buddy Guy which was very nice.

Then Buddy Guy came on. I'd heard that he sometimes isn't into it, and seeing him live is hit or miss, but for a free concert that's a risk worth taking. Well, he was ON FIRE!!! As my friend said, Buddy Guy's not gonna get smoked by a 13 year old, so he entered with guns blazing. BG went into the crowd at one point, wailing away on guitar as he went around the venue. He later invited Quinn Sullivan onstage with him, and they did a few tunes together, with BG even playing some acoustic. There was a very large crowd that thoroughly enjoyed it, as did I.

Because the venue is right by the World Trade Center, we had the security guards for the property, who were a bit heavy-handed with the photo taking, etc. We had a lot of NYPD,I even saw the rare sight of Park Police in NYC. With all these cops and nothing to do(older crowd, not rowdy, no Osama Bin Ladens in the audience), they of course wound up standing around gabbing with one another. Tons of cops watching out for...

Caught Lee Fields & the Expressions Tuesday night at Ft. Greene Park (Brooklyn). Great show.

Tonight: Neko Case & Charles Bradley at World Financial Center.

Caught Buddy Guy last night at the World Financial Center Plaza. Opening was John Mayall, who was pretty decent, but he did have a good guitarist.

I gave that one a pass because I needed a night off. I knew I couldn't make it in time for Mayall (whom I last saw at the Fillmore East--at the time one friend said, "Mayall's really old--37!"), and when I saw Guy at the North Sea Festival in 1998, and it felt like he was phoning in the show.

Edited by Pete C

Saw the old team of Greg Abate and Alan Barnes at Wilmslow this evening - excellent session! Greg tells me he's just made an album with Phil Woods.

No Abate this year but off down for the annual Barnes-Fest at Swanage tonight. Let's hope that the rain holds off a bit. <_<

Best of luck for the weather. I see you have youthful alto/clarinet prodigy (and Manchester college graduate) Amy Roberts at Swanage tomorrow. I'll be seeing her with Abate (40 years her senior) at Wilmslow on Monday.

Turns out that flooding of 2 out of 3 marquees nearly led to cancellation of Swanage earlier in the week but the council gave Fred Lindop the go-ahead at the last minute and the music is as good as ever. Last night was able to check out Frank Harrison's trio, Alan Barnes (sounding very Oliver Nelson-ish under the pulpit at the Methodist Church) featured with Andy Hague's band and an excellent set by Matt Wates. Turns out that Abram Wilson's band will be performing a tribute to him this afternoon - certainly one not to miss. Let's hope that the rain subsides !

Hope the weather is kinder to you.

Cheers ! Nothing extreme and the sea is flat calm. Just lack of sun - first time I have ever known this at Swanage. :(

Matt Wates' Sextet were indeed excellent. Very well rehearsed and 'together' - they deservedly got generous applause.

Lots of good stuff coming up over the next couple of days. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Simon Spillett's Quartet tomorrow - although the Methodist Church is probably not a totally ideal venue for his Tubby Hayes tribute. :unsure: Lots of people will be running down the hill to the Red Lion at intermission I suspect.

Edited by sidewinder

I'm looking forward to Mike Westbrook on Dartmoor a week tomorrow. Apparently starts at midday rather than an evening concert. Could also belt down to St. Ives (the real one, not the East Anglian impersonation) from Bude two days later.

And I'm actually staying in St. Ives when this interesting sounding band are on:

4-SIDED TRIANGLE: KEVIN FIGES (sx), DAN MOORE (Rhodes), MIKE OUTRAM (gt), MARK WHITLAM (dm)

More live jazz in one week than I've seen all year.

And I'm actually staying in St. Ives when this interesting sounding band are on:

4-SIDED TRIANGLE: KEVIN FIGES (sx), DAN MOORE (Rhodes), MIKE OUTRAM (gt), MARK WHITLAM (dm)

More live jazz in one week than I've seen all year.

Kevin's band (not this one but his Quartet) is first on deck at the church tomorrow ! Recommended.

Edited by sidewinder

Apparently starts at midday rather than an evening concert.

They have to start early as the Hound comes out at night !

I'll remember to zip up at night!

I thought it was concern that those wild, jazz sounds might carry at night and send the inhabitants of a nearby institution into a frenzy, causing a riot in cell block F.

More good stuff at Swanage yesterday but the quagmire in the marquee got to be a pain in the end so became a 'mouldy figge' and retreated to the Football Club (?!) in the evening to check out the 20s/30s sounds of Keith Nichols and his Blue Devils with Joan Viskant. Fine stuff !

The Abram Wilson tribute was predictably good - with strong front line of Jean Toussaint and Peter King (or 'King Peter' as Jean was calling him).

Edited by sidewinder