What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw a great double bill last weekend here in Wilmington NC at our wonderful Thalian Hall, Joe Chambers and His All-Stars opening up for The Jimmy and Tootie Heath combo. Joe is the first Professor of Jazz at UNC Wilmington (since '08), and it's great to have a musician and teacher of his stature in our small town. Jimmy and Tootie went to high school in Wilmington, so it was a homecoming of sorts. Saw Jimmy walking through the upstairs lobby after the mayor passed out some awards and struck up a conversation. Couldn't meet a nicer guy. Talked a bit about Wilmington, his notes on the Heavyweight Champion box, and leafed through his book "I Walked With Giants." While I was away getting a pen, the handlers started moving him along to get ready for the show and he told them to hold on because he had to wait for Adam to sign his book. Nice gesture-makes you feel good as a fan that he'd make an effort for you.

Definitely check them out if you ever get a chance. Watching an 85-year-old get funky to Fungii Mama isn't something you see everyday. Great couple of hours of jazz legends-can't ask for any more than that. Anyone in these pasrts might want to check out Benny Hill, the saxophonist who played with Joe Chambers, perform at The Cameron Art Museum April 5th.

I turned his amp up after the first song

With his permission?

Ha! Ha! That was my mistake. Should have been "he" but you already knew that, eh? :lol: I wish I could have turned him up somehow. Having seen him several times at Yoshi's I've been able to really appreciate his playing skills many times and though I could see him play the other night there were many times I had to strain to hear him. Eric Harland made up for it though.

Edited by six string

The Brandon Allen Quartet at Matt and Phreds, Manchester

Allen (tnr), Quentin Collins (tpt and flugel), Ross Stanley (organ), Enzo Zirilli (dms)

This hard bop group with interesting instrumentation were presenting their album, What's It Gonna Be?, consisting of nicely voiced and arranged originals. I first heard the hornmen about seven years ago when they were part of Dylan Howe's quintet and Collins, in particular, has matured into a very impressive hard bop trumpeter. I'd also single out Zirilli for impressive musicianship. So, five stars for the music.

Conditions under which it was played were far from excellent, however. Matt and Phred's is essentially a pub with a performance area at one end, so it wasn't surprising that very few people seemed to be there for the music and that loud conversation continued throughout. Added to this, the box-like room was bad acoustically and the amplification distorting. When I arrived for the gig at 10p.m., the earlier evening's salsa class was still in session, so in truly surreal fashion I had to sidestep the dancers to take my seat as Zirilli set up his drums and Stanley plugged in his organ! :lol:

In the end I stayed for the first set only, leaving at 11:15. But I mustn't complain, as my total outlay for the evening was zero. Admission to the club was free and my Senior Citizen's pass got me there and back on buses that are frequent all night in the city that never sleeps! :w

Just back from SXSW in Austin and was VERY fortunate to have been able to see Bruce up close in the 2,700 seat Austin City Limits/Moody Theatre. Once in a lifetime opportunity, for sure. Not to mention cameo appearances by Tom Morello, Jimmy Cliff and Eric Burdon.

Just back from SXSW in Austin and was VERY fortunate to have been able to see Bruce up close in the 2,700 seat Austin City Limits/Moody Theatre. Once in a lifetime opportunity, for sure. Not to mention cameo appearances by Tom Morello, Jimmy Cliff and Eric Burdon.

Cool! Glad you had a good time, it was kind of sad missing SXSW this year.

Dave O'Higgins and Eric Alexander with The Kristian Leth Trio at Seven Jazz, Leeds last night.

O'Higgins, Alexander (tenors), Andrew McCormack (piano), Arnie Somogyi (bass), Leth (drums)

After my disappointment at last week's gig (see #2407), this date set the record straight in no uncertain way. The gig was held in a small theatre with an audience of about 60 and I sat on the front row, more or less in the group and the sound balance was perfect. This group has toured several times in recent years and there's a great rapport and everything functions like a quiet, but efficient machine.

The main treat was to hear Alexander live for the first time after hearing so much of him on record and to find that he came completely up to expectations - as I was pleased to tell him! One thing I noticed was the very strong Coltrane influence in his playing, both in his characteristic figures and in his harmonic direction. This may the result of playing with another Trane-oriented tenorman or perhaps his playing is moving in that direction. I'm hearing it now as I play the group's album, The Devil's Interval, which I bought at the gig and had signed by Eric:

51e5m%2B3s0FL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A couple of clips from this gig have now appeared on YouTube:

MatanaGetsHappy_Zurich2012-03-22_sm-web.jpg

Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Two: Mississippi Moonchile

Rote Fabrik, Zurich, Switzerland - March 22, 2012

Amazing concert, deep, wonderful, touching... and very intense!

Wonderful hooking up with her afterwards, took some photos for the great new, independent German music magazine get happy!? (disclaimer: as all contributors, I didn't earn a cent... and our own brownie allowed use of four wonderful Miles photos he made in 1969!), had my copy of "Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens du Couleur Libres" signed, and just had a great time talking!

Open Loose: Helias-Rainey-Malaby

well after they finish the second set with something called "Kryptonite" from the new CD, my wife asked me why they are playing in a little place like Cornelia Street?

and she doesn't listen to jazz on record - she like American FUCKING Idol

God (Jah) knows?!?

you got ears, you gotta listen - nobody listenin', baby!!!!

all new Helias tunes ranging from a fractured ballad to a improvised/composed 'out' piece that if played at the start of the first set would have cleared out half the room to incendiary burning groove based monster pieces like the closer the band destroyed the fucking universe.

not much else to be said except I know Evan Parker, Roscoe Mitchell, Paul Dunmall, Ellery Eskelin, Peter Brotzmann, Mats Gustafsson, Joe McPhee and Sonny Rollins all still walk this earth and Tony Malaby *still* may be the *greatest* tenor saxophonist alive.

and Rainey played this solo intro with his hands that was beyond and then with that closing groove exploded reality for me from 5 feet away with less than a third of the house full - leave before the second set?!?! - pure idiocy

I have heard many many drummers over the years and this performance was simply a mind fuck - the whole night but *that* last driving intensely powerful passage was comparable in total fucking genius to Hamid Drake on March 27th, 1999 at Tonic with Kessler and Vandermark or Gerry Hemingway ~ 12 years ago with Barry Guy and Marilyn Crispell or Randy Peterson recently with Mat Maneri.

show of the year - and that includes 2 weeks ago at the Stone

looks like April 14th with Angelica Sanchez, Rainey and Malaby is a must see @ The Jazz Gallery where they will be playing the music that was to beplayed at the Vanguard with the late Paul Motian this past January.

Thumbs Up and Hands Down, baby

Just got back from a little road trip - drove the 100 miles north to Chattanooga to hear Philadelphia free-improv saxophonist Jack Wright with bassist Evan Lipson and Chattanooga's own improv duo The Shaking Ray Levis. Without going into detail, I'll say that I enjoyed the Shaking Rays much more than their guests.

That's too bad! From what little I've heard, I consider myself a Jack Wright fan!

Trying to explain to my wife why I wasn't blown away by Mr. Wright's playing, I said that while I enjoy that kind of sound improvisation, there are people who do it better. After thinking about it some more - Wright is one of those guys who has come up with his own vocabulary on saxophone, like Evan Parker, John Butcher, and Urs Leimgruber. I think what it comes down to is that I just don't particularly like the vocabulary he has come up with. Many of the sounds he produces - well, I don't find them attractive or even interesting. Everything that comes out of Evan Parker's horn amazes me, on the other hand.

The Shaking Ray Levis, particularly Dennis Palmer, who plays a Moog synthesizer along with a Rube Goldberg array of effects and electronics, are always interesting and unpredictable. And loud!

Saw the Marcus Roberts Trio playing at The Sage in Gateshead on Saturday, with Roland Guerin on bass & Jason Marsalis on drums.

They started with a selection of Cole Porter numbers and finished with three Coltrane tunes from "Crescent". An excellent concert at a very good venue.

Edited by Head Man

Saw Irene Schweizer performing solo last night. Short set (ca. 45 min) as part of the surroundings of an exhibition dedicated to the part of Zurich she chose to live in several decades ago... first time to hear her solo in person (I've heard her in duos with Françoise Kubler and Pierre Favre, as well as accompanying a film in solo, but that's not exactly a solo concert, although it was a great experience, too!). Anyway, it's amazing how broad her range is... there's all in it, all music, virtually. You hear glimpses of Monk, Nichols, Weston, but all turned into her own very much so... she'd use one of Dollar Brand's trademark left-hand-vamps (in five) and add some stuff all her own to it, dropping in and out of the ostinato as she pleased, she'd wail some blues, and do some Monk tunes clearly recognizable yet thoroughly reworked, both harmonically and melodically... very, very good, needless to say!

Also picked up her latest release on Intakt, "To Whom It May Concern", the live recording from Zurich's sacred temple of classical music (the Tonhalle), where she played in April 2011 to celebrate her 70th birthday.

She's really a treasure of this town, of this country, and - hell! - of mankind!

Craig Taborn Trio at Jazzclub Unterfahr in Munich /w Thomas Morgan and Gerald Cleaver

Cool! They were *very* good in Cologne in November!

Went to shake hands with Taborn afterwards and he nearly wouldn't let me go again... very nice guy off stage, too!